Preview Round 2 - Richmond vs Adelaide - Saturday the 25th of March 4:35pm @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Were you one of the ‘must play Stack’ parrots from 2022? We’ve got no idea what’s going on behind closed doors in respect to selection. And I’m not saying we should always assume the club makes correct decisions as they don’t. But I am saying there’s a million things that go into selection beyond just ‘he’s more talented so why isn’t he playing?’

Our team relies on forward half turnovers to be a great side. Is Cumberland any good at creating those? I’ve got no idea, do you? Does Sonsie run well both ways? I’ve got no idea, do you?

Winning games and Premierships is built off an ability to defend as an entire team. And built off an ability to score from creating turnovers. Every attacking and defensive play involves an 18-man collective effort where everyone has to play their part for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not sure what Stack has got to do with it. Stack and Cumberland are yards apart, one was lazy the other spent his break at the club getting fitter.

Agree regarding horses for courses though and team structures.

But they want to play Ryan. So they need to remove our ‘relief’ ruckman (Miller) so Ryan can play a fwd/ruck/bench role.

Balta wasn’t great last week, but it’s not as if McKay kicked 7.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If Balta played near as well as Miller we win the game !
Admittedly Miller has shown recently his kicking for goal is turdhouse.

Miller has been named at full back this week in the VFL. Will probably swap with Bigoa in the ruck. What is our aversion to playing Miller forward. He has never in his time at Richmond played even one game forward, yet he trained as one this preseason and played Lynch's role in the practice match v North. Logically therefore if you are going to drop him, do so in the role that he has trained for and is most likely going to be used for this season at AFL level.

Last season they asked him to come in with absolutely no experience at all at Richmond to play ruck/forward in the AFL.

So Ryan has taken his place as a forward and Young as a back

I have no problem with either Young or Ryan having a crack, but Miller should be played at VFL level in the role they set him for all preseason, and 8 games last, to improve and get some confidence there. Dropped after one week where he was not too bad, and banished to his old role. How to drain a players confidence.

Miller has been named at full back this week in the VFL. Will probably swap with Bigoa in the ruck. What is our aversion to playing Miller forward. He has never in his time at Richmond played even one game forward, yet he trained as one this preseason and played Lynch's role in the practice match v North. Logically therefore if you are going to drop him, do so in the role that he has trained for and is most likely going to be used for this season at AFL level.

Last season they asked him to come in with absolutely no experience at all at Richmond to play ruck/forward in the AFL.

So Ryan has taken his place as a forward and Young as a back

I have no problem with either Young or Ryan having a crack, but Miller should be played at VFL level in the role they set him for all preseason, and 8 games last, to improve and get some confidence there. Dropped after one week where he was not too bad, and banished to his old role. How to drain a players confidence.
Miller will end up a key back for us. The club know it too and know he isn't a long term answer as a second ruck/forward

I do find it strange that he isn't getting that backline gig in the AFL this week but not remotely surprised that's where he's playing in the VFL

Miller will end up a key back for us. The club know it too and know he isn't a long term answer as a second ruck/forward

I do find it strange that he isn't getting that backline gig in the AFL this week but not remotely surprised that's where he's playing in the VFL
How do they know he can't be a forward, on 8 games last year where he was 3rd fiddle. He has played 0 games as a forward in the VFL and trained there preseason. At least give him a crack and let him see what he can do, after all we have a line-up of backs and almost no back-up forwards besides a couple of kids who weren't even drafted. Ryan may be an answer, but equally may not.

How do they know he can't be a forward, on 8 games last year where he was 3rd fiddle. He has played 0 games as a forward in the VFL and trained there preseason. At least give him a crack and let him see what he can do, after all we have a line-up of backs and almost no back-up forwards besides a couple of kids who weren't even drafted. Ryan may be an answer, but equally may not.
Our back stocks aren’t that great either Taz probably finishes up at the end of this year and Grimes is 31

Our back stocks aren’t that great either Taz probably finishes up at the end of this year and Grimes is 31
Yes but this year once wunderkind Gibcus is back we have plenty. As you say maybe not next year but that is next year. Miller can always go back if he doesn't cut it in his 'new position'. Never know if we don't give it a go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but this year once wunderkind Gibcus is back we have plenty. As you say maybe not next year but that is next year. Miller can always go back if he doesn't cut it in his 'new position'. Never know if we don't give it a go.
Think it can potentially do more harm than good throwing guys around the ground especially key position guys

Miller is tracking well and still quite young so happy to just keep him back for now

Who knows what the list management guys have planned down the track in terms of bringing people in as well

Don’t think Trent actually spent that much time forward played his normal role imo maybe with the odd forward stoppage

As it’s been pointed out numerous times it isn’t Trent that is keeping Cumbo out of the side
Interesting to note Cotchin only had 67% TOG, = lowest outside Pickett(subbed out) & Ross(subbed in) and attended only 6 centre bounces for the match. From that limited game time it was noticeable that he's impact was more explosive with 18 disposals 11 contested possessions 4 clearances 15 pressure acts & 3 tackles, which suggests that we're using him in short sharp bursts where he goes flat out then has an extended break. Be interesting to see how the breakdown pans out this week and if a pattern continues to emerge

Interesting to note Cotchin only had 67% TOG, = lowest outside Pickett(subbed out) & Ross(subbed in) and attended only 6 centre bounces for the match. From that limited game time it was noticeable that he's impact was more explosive with 18 disposals 11 contested possessions 4 clearances 15 pressure acts & 3 tackles, which suggests that we're using him in short sharp bursts where he goes flat out then has an extended break. Be interesting to see how the breakdown pans out this week and if a pattern continues to emerge
Good pick up mate
If anything that’s probably the best way to both get a big impact out of Cotch and still manage him throughout the season as an impact kind of role
As long as we can afford to carry him on limited minutes as well

Actually GWS had someone with Laird most of the game last week and it was pretty much shut down Adelaide’s midfield. Outside of laird there’s not a lot of ball winning mids. Having a fairly defensive mindset around laird wouldn’t be a crazy idea.
So who goes to him?

We don't need to tag Laird.
I want us to get back to the days where we played our game style no matter what and see if the opposition can beat our system.

Let them worry about shutting down our countless threats.

Pretty sure Tyler’s old man is actually my old man

How out of touch is the club.
Inflation up so high people have too work and they force his ol man not only too take a day off but travel interstate.
Should've waited until we play in melb.

So in limited game time, he almost mirrored his stats from last year in which many hailed him as our best mid.

Seems the club might know a thing or 2 based on the above.

How out of touch is the club.
Inflation up so high people have too work and they force his ol man not only too take a day off but travel interstate.
Should've waited until we play in melb.
Really?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back