Autopsy Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS *MARSHALL 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

And now the good half

That chase and spoil from Howard at 1.30 to save what looked a certain goal for GWS was such a big moment, showed how desperate we were to win and demoralised the Giants, from that point on we ran over the top of them.

Marshall had a big 2nd half too, apparently he was on 15 Supercoach points at half time and finished on 118 points, he scored over a ton in just one half which shows his influence, along with Ryder it's the best ruck combo we've had in my time supporting the Saints. Everitt was great but he was mostly a one man show.

In fairness Jake has to do what he has to do. He can’t miss the birth of a child and must be there with her.

The timing is the issue. Will he get back in time for the birth if she hasn’t gone into labour?

I don't think Carlisle missing against the Dogs or the Pies would be a big problem for us as neither of them have much key forward strength, we'd need him back if we play the likes of West Coast or Richmond though.

That chase and spoil from Howard at 1.30 to save what looked a certain goal for GWS was such a big moment, showed how desperate we were to win and demoralised the Giants, from that point on we ran over the top of them.

Marshall had a big 2nd half too, apparently he was on 15 Supercoach points at half time and finished on 118 points, he scored over a ton in just one half which shows his influence, along with Ryder it's the best ruck combo we've had in my time supporting the Saints. Everitt was great but he was mostly a one man show.

I don't think Carlisle missing against the Dogs or the Pies would be a big problem for us as neither of them have much key forward strength, we'd need him back if we play the likes of West Coast or Richmond though.
Unless rules change once he has gone he has gone.

We jumped 8 ladder positions this year. From 14th to 6th.

Ratts has done a madness :thumbsu:
Whole club has done a great job

Wow, that was great... I think. I've just finished watching the replay to make sure it wasn't just have a wet dream I had last night. I tried posting after the game but I was too pissed to post properly. I did have a go at it but my wife looked over my shoulder and said, "WTF is that supposed to say." So I went to bed.

I've read all the Autopsy thread just now and concur with most comments posted. Just a few random thoughts of my own. There's no need for me to add to the bromance for Steele and Marshall. Captain and VC next year thanks.

A shout out to Battle. Did an outstanding job on Haynes. Rooey said after the game that it was the first time in Haynes's career that he hasn't taken an intercept mark. Unbelievable if true.

Ryder was awesome. Like many I couldn't see how his inclusion wouldn't hold Marshall back. Wrong. They're the best 1-2 ruck combo going around. Ryder's ability to jump at the centre bounces is huge at negating the other ruckman.

Despite all the love for him on here before the game Carlisle was our worst player. He seemed either unfit or down on confidence. It was difficult at time to know who he was supposed to be playing on.

That said I still think he must play. At his best he's in our top dozen players and his inclusion aids our structure in two ways. Firstly, it makes opposition teams go wide knowing we have the twin towers back there in Howard and Carlisle ready to spoil. A bit like the impact McGovern has for the Eagles. Secondly and even more importantly it frees up Coffield and Wilkie to play their intercept games and not worry about playing on a taller opponent. In assessing Carlisle's impact last night (not his own stats) we should consider that GWS only scored 30 points. That's a big tick for the defence structure.

Personally, I don't care how few possessions our defenders get if we keep the opposition to a losing score.

Haven't been a Lonie lover but willing to finally concede that the Butler-Lonie combo is our best small forward option. They are both super dangerous when given a bit of space and seem to work well together. Their defensive efforts are also excellent.

I'm repeating myself here but rapt that Sinclair has finally grasped his opportunity. He just seems physically stronger now and able to shrug tackles. He's no longer a liability in close and he's always been a creative link player.

Clark is an unreal talent. Skill wise he's probably our best pick up in a decade. I have noticed lately though that teams are wising up to him selling them candy and some of his party tricks. Maybe he needs to mix it up a little and occasionally give it off the first time. Definitely not a knock on him though.

Again this is a repeat observation but some on here have just got to cut the likes of Ross, Billings and Membrey some slack. For so long they have been at the top end of out talent pool and we have relied on them to win us games. Now they have slipped down the order with the influx of new talent. They are all still best 22 but all have refined roles and and are having to adjust to playing a little around the "edges". If players like Membrey and Ross are now in our 15th-22nd players picked it just shows how much we've improved.

Finally, there seems an acceptance on here by some that we are playing the Pies in the Finals week one. Personally, I reckon its 70-30 we play the Dogs. I hope so because we are 2 from 2 against the Dogs under Ratts.

If a little tear crept into your eye during the club song you didn't have to say to anyone watching. "I've got something in my eye." Sainters are allowed to cry after 9 years of shite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put Dougal Howard in the leadership group next year. He ran a country mile to spoil a goal 2 weeks in a row. How inspirational is it to see your teammate do acts like this. Sure was a turning point in last night's game. Go Sainters!
Also noticed in the rooms after the game, he was the one directing players where to go, future leader.

Also noticed in the rooms after the game, he was the one directing players where to go, future leader.
How did we get hold of a young defender who captained Port last year and he had not even played 50 games at the time , this guy is going to be one of our best defenders for a hell of a long time and they contracted him for 5 years.

What a blast.

I’m so proud to be a St Kilda supporter right now. I got so many texts with good wishes from family and friends, who have watched me ride the bumps over the years.

I loved how Fox panned to all the players who aren’t starting 22 and we could all see the joy and pride in their faces. Then they panned through the crowd and you could see the shear jubilation in our Queensland brethren (I hope SunshineSaint was there to savour the moment). Then the team ran to acknowledge and thank the supporters before they called every Saints person in the room to be in the circle for the song. The players know we’re all in this together and their success flows on from the hard work and commitment of others at the club. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy about the future.

I loved the moment when Derm asked Rooey about what the win meant and he mentioned the camera man being a Saints supporter and how it must have meant a lot to him, and then the camera proceeds to nod!

Something magical is happening at the Saints you can see and feel it. There is a force that is bringing this club closer together while other clubs falter. I think it’s Ratten.

Players are growing before our eyes. Steele, Coffield, Clark, Battle, Marshall, Paton, Sinclair, Long, Gresham have all improved. Even our imports are stunning their old clubs with the form they have been able to find. Ryder, Butler, Jones, Howard have all got supporters of their former clubs asking ‘Why couldn’t we get them consistently to that level?’

It feels good to be a Sainter.

Us this weekend

32406216-man-relaxing-on-beach-ocean-view-maldives-island.jpg

Instead of what potentially could've been...

tenor.gif

I am still amazed at how good Ryder has been this year. Seriously exceeded all expectations and makes a perfect partner for Marshall.

His ruck craft is just incredible to watch, he still has his leap (tried taking a specky last night), and has been offering something up forward kicking a goal in 5 of the last 6 matches.

I tried posting after the game but I was too pissed to post properly.

That didn't stop me, I still managed to post some drunken rubbish here last night, I probably wasn't the lone ranger there though.

Agree with what you said about Carlisle, he didn't have a great game stats wise but he does help our defensive structure and allows our other defenders to play their roles better, he also helps to make them walk a bit taller knowing they have big Jake out there to throw his weight around.

He will need to put in better performances though if he wants to get another contract with us, personally I hope he stays on our list as I still think he has a lot to offer but he would need to be prepared to take a pay cut as he isn't worth as much as he was when we recruited him.

If you had of told me after the last game in 2019 that we will smash GWS by 52 in wet, greasy conditions at the Gabba to secure a top 8 spot I would have asked you to give me some of whatever you were taking.

This win has been nearly 12 months in the making starting with Lethlean and the recruiting team, on to the medical and fitness staff, into the tactical coaching team.

Finnis and the Reimagine Moorabbin initiative worked wonders through preseason and helped reconnect old fans with the club again. The women’s team showed us what Saints footy should be like scrapping to stay in every game against their more fancied opponents. Rath and his player empowerment philosophy have inspired the players to take charge of their destiny. And finally we have earned the right to play in a finals series.

Make no bones about it. We are good enough to be here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back