Autopsy Rd 18 Blues go down fighting in Simmo's farewell game

Who gave their all in Simmo's farewell game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this game highlights the need for the coaching panel to include a free-kick coach, who would be every bit as important as a midfield coach or development coach. Part of what makes Lachie Neale a ball magnet is his ability to turn a FA stat into a FF. When he cops a text book tackle from Ed Curnow, he dives forward and gets an in-the-back free. When Cam Rayner gets pinged in a tackle he can drop his knees and get a shot on goal for a high tackle. If we want to compete, we have to learn these techniques - they can add 20-30 points to the score each week.

You can moan about bad umpiring or adjust your method to embrace what the umpires want to see. :-J

Levi goes missing in games where he is not the #2 ruckman. Don’t know why, but staying at home as a forward doesn’t get him involved enough.

He is one of the AllTime great AFL sulks. Sure his teammates have let him down overthe years but not as much as he has let them down.

Yet he has always sulked it up.

But you choose to ignore my other post that makes the obvious point that if the blatant free kicks not paid against the Lions (hence the frustration with inconsistency), the ball would not have spent the same continuous time in their F50.

Didn't deliberately ignore anything. Had too many replies and was just focusing on the last ones. It was also something I'd addressed in other posts.

You seem to be saying that umpiring decisions give teams momentum that is irreversible until the next quarter break. If that's honestly what you're saying then all I can say is I completely disagree.

After each of those free kicks and goals, and I know some of them were BS, the ball returns to the centre and we have another chance to reset and get the ball going forward.

Inability for us to do this time and time again is far more on our team and it's leaders than it is on any umpiring decisions. If you can't see that then you're just making excuses for the team. We need to play better to win games like this, not rely on umpires to not make mistakes. It's that simple.

Agreed, but I would say it was Neele, Zorko and Rich that were the difference. Their teammates won the ball and got it to them, and these 3 (plus Cameron) carved us up.
Our mids were beaten convincingly.
Otherwise I think we were better in the other 2/3s3osf the ground.
So.
Taking the rose glasses off, how do we get better?

Cameron carved us up?
The guy who managed a single goal which came from a bullshit free?

His first three kicks went to Brisbane players, dudester, and he only had 4 kicks.

So your noticing skills are rusty.

;)
I'm not game enough to watch that again, but I didn't see what you did.
I'll take your word for it but I still think there's a good player there with the heart and drive we demand.
Not worried about the other 'potential delistees'.
But the game I saw Pols did a fair bit right.
Won't be a gun.
Will be an asset to the club.

I think this game highlights the need for the coaching panel to include a free-kick coach, who would be every bit as important as a midfield coach or development coach. Part of what makes Lachie Neale a ball magnet is his ability to turn a FA stat into a FF. When he cops a text book tackle from Ed Curnow, he dives forward and gets an in-the-back free. When Cam Rayner gets pinged in a tackle he can drop his knees and get a shot on goal for a high tackle. If we want to compete, we have to learn these techniques - they can add 20-30 points to the score each week.

You can moan about bad umpiring or adjust your method to embrace what the umpires want to see. :-J
Abso bloody lutely
We are the nice boys of the AFL

Levi hasnt fired a shot for weeks. Has had a number of issues with the family with the hub. We all know bout the kids going to theme park but his family hust hasnt settled in there..his mrs is totally over it and has wanted to leave fir weeks.

Most peeps are over 2020. and to think most peeps pin there hopes on Actual Human beings are still playing this game in a ****ed up Year.

I would personally like to thank every player whom has played this year. Especially THE BLUE ones.
lets not forget these players are people...

And what a ****ed up year it's been.

*Mod edit: Don’t evade the swear filter

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's honestly what you're saying then all I can say is I completely disagree.
Fair enough. We can agree to disagree and still be friends.. :)

Inability for us to do this time and time again is far more on our team and it's leaders than it is on any umpiring decisions
Absolutely agree, we need better leaders on the park. The wrong leader retired today.
Hopefully the young guys will follow Walsh's example and follow his leadership.

It was interesting watching Richmond play today. Few prima donna's. (Hi Jack) Each and every one played in the same manic manner. they share the leadership through belief and trust.

(they also have insane skills....... )

a free-kick coach,
Is this a real thing? Do clubs have free kick coaches?? -- showing my age here

I would have thought the rules of the game were unbiased, not what the umpires want to see. If you throw the ball, that is illegal disposal.Irrespective of 'what the umpires want to see'

[QUOTE="__Bobcat__, post: 67047128, member: 147998"

And what a ****ed up year it's been.
[/QUOTE]

hear, hear brother

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough. We can agree to disagree and still be friends.. :)

Of course :)

Absolutely agree, we need better leaders on the park. The wrong leader retired today.
Hopefully the young guys will follow Walsh's example and follow his leadership.

It was interesting watching Richmond play today. Few prima donna's. (Hi Jack) Each and every one played in the same manic manner. they share the leadership through belief and trust.

(they also have insane skills....... )

Yep totally agree. Biggest area we need to improve compared to teams like Lions and Richmond is basic skill execution under AFL level pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives:
  • We won 3 out of 4 quarters
  • Liked Teague's spray at half time. He showed some fire
  • Walsh is a star. B&F will be very interesting so see if he wins...
  • Plowman played a great game.
  • Harry did his job well once again. Kicked the most goals out there despite the limited opportunities again.
  • Cunners 9 tackles
  • Fought till the end whilst not relying on Cripps to bring us back into it
Negatives:
  • UMPIRING :thumbsdown:
  • Another 5+ goals swing... 22 - 3 i50's in the 2nd quarter. There's a bad quarter... then there's just sheer crap...
  • Polson really did himself no favours tonight. Those turn overs are just killers
  • Levi getting out bodied by Neale in a marking contest. Come on. Had a really flat game tonight.
  • McMuffin - play him in the forward line = no impact, play him in the back line = no impact. I reckon he really can't handle living in his brother's shadow...
  • Betts is done. Shouldn't be playing next year.

We should know what needs to be done....

• Halt opposition momentum
  • Overhaul the coaching staff (I know might be hard with the soft cap but all teams will be affected by it not just us)
  • Bring in Zac Williams and another gun mid. We just have to go all out (without trading any of our own gun players) for another gun mid. We will be an attractive destination now no doubt.

Positives:
  • We won 3 out of 4 quarters
  • Liked Teague's spray at half time. He showed some fire
  • Walsh is a star. B&F will be very interesting so see if he wins...
  • Plowman played a great game.
  • Harry did his job well once again. Kicked the most goals out there despite the limited opportunities again.
  • Cunners 9 tackles
  • Fought till the end whilst not relying on Cripps to bring us back into it
Negatives:
  • UMPIRING :thumbsdown:
  • Another 5+ goals swing... 22 - 3 i50's in the 2nd quarter. There's a bad quarter... then there's just sheer crap...
  • Polson really did himself no favours tonight. Those turn overs are just killers
  • Levi getting out bodied by Neale in a marking contest. Come on. Had a really flat game tonight.
  • McMuffin - play him in the forward line = no impact, play him in the back line = no impact. I reckon he really can't handle living in his brother's shadow...
  • Betts is done. Shouldn't be playing next year.

We should know what needs to be done....

• Halt opposition momentum
  • Overhaul the coaching staff (I know might be hard with the soft cap but all teams will be affected by it not just us)
  • Bring in Zac Williams and another gun mid. We just have to go all out (without trading any of our own gun players) for another gun mid. We will be an attractive destination now no doubt.
Luke Hodge would be a nice addition

Mccluggage fighting for a spot on the wing in the AA.......... pfft
WALSH SHOWED HIM up TONIGHT
McCluggage didn’t help himself by trying to remove the goalpost with a shirtfront. He ain’t no Leigh Matthews

Didn't deliberately ignore anything. Had too many replies and was just focusing on the last ones. It was also something I'd addressed in other posts.

You seem to be saying that umpiring decisions give teams momentum that is irreversible until the next quarter break. If that's honestly what you're saying then all I can say is I completely disagree.

After each of those free kicks and goals, and I know some of them were BS, the ball returns to the centre and we have another chance to reset and get the ball going forward.

Inability for us to do this time and time again is far more on our team
Cameron carved us up?
The guy who managed a single goal which came from a bullshit free?
Yup. He just kept getting his hands on the ball, gained a lot of meters to my unskilled eye, was effective in many possession chains. Didn't get the goals today but he found a way to positively influence the game for his team.

Yup. He just kept getting his hands on the ball, gained a lot of meters to my unskilled eye, was effective in many possession chains. Didn't get the goals today but he found a way to positively influence the game for his team.

Plow killed him.
He had 6 effective disposals. And after his umpire goal and 2 behinds, only 2 score involvements.

Stamos

Come on man that was gold.

On Cameron, would have liked him in our team tonight. Harry would certainly have had more opportunities if he was.
Also, that sounds like 5 score involvement from a s**t game. If only I had s**t games like that... :flushed:

Positives:

We are another year closer to having a competitive group of 23 to 31yo prime players.

Negatives:

We had to endure another year this year of an uncompetitive group of prime year and ageing players.

It is the reality of the depths of mismanagement that we have come from and also from the courageous end of 2015 decision to completely rebuild the list and Club.

I'm patient. We took the hard but necessarily long road. Every year we get closer to a deep core of prime players. Some players will come, some players will go. But we get more quality players into that prime age core every year.

In a few years time it will be 20 players deep.

Didn’t think we were too bad, considering what we’ve dished up the last few weeks. In saying that, we didn’t have the pressure of playing for finals so I expected us to play with a bit more will, as is our habit.

I’m not too worried about the runs of goals against. That’ll take care of itself when we become a better team with greater belief. I don’t think it’s valid to pinpoint that as our issue.

If Gov stays with us, I’m keen to continue using him as a swingman with a tendency towards defence. I reckon he has a lot of potential there. He’s better than he’s produced this year, no question. Can’t judge him on tonight, given the conditions - but boy, when he floated in for the mark, he looked like his brother.

Cunners probably our cleanest - no surprise there. Love him. Got a strong feeling he’ll break out into a consistent performer next year and cause a lot of headaches for the opposition - 14 possies and 9 tackles. Can’t believe he hasn’t been getting more midfield minutes.

Not going to comment on everyone.

Overall, in my view, we failed the season. Not simply a matter of wins and losses - it’s the games we won and lost and the nature of those performances, as well as individual player progression/stagnation/regression.

I’m expecting a successful trade period - with 3 or 4 starting 22 players, including 2 A-graders (3 if you include someone like Isaac Smith, and dependent on Williams choosing us) and for the team to come out with a lot more belief next year. Add a fit Cripps (arguably the best player in the comp) and Charlie (widely forecast top 10 player in the comp) .... and it’s one hell of a 22. I think it’d be too strong of a 22 not to develop the belief we need (if we didn’t, it’d just about be panic stations).

Feels s**t that we were never serious contenders through the entire careers of Krooz and Simmo. They deserved better. Hope they stick close to the club and enjoy the success when it eventually comes. Gotta take some credit for the quality of character of our boys.

Last edited:
Back