Preview Changes vs ST KILDA. Elimination final preview (GABBA- Sat 3rd October). Happy now??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of Hunters ball this year has come at a pretty even spread - slightly favouring forward half. Not much at all backward of half back.

But I agree we aren't too tall down back.

Speaking of positioning I managed to locate St Kilda's heat map. The red patches indicate where they are most likely to set fire to a dwarf:
20200923_172213.jpg

The smalls are all the more reason to free up Wood. Him and Duryea are the only ones who will handle the likes of Gresham and Butler.

I'd trust Gardner on King more than Cordy, purely because of the increased reach (not just height, but also leap)

Gresham is out for the rest of the year.

Can see both sides to the extra tall down back argument.

My initial thoughts were in-line with doggies ftw. I just can't see enough room for all of Keath/Cordy/Gardy/Wood. Our backline has been our best unit all year with a 2 big/2 med/3 small rotation. It did seem pretty clogged up back there last week when we had ball in hand trying to rebound. Those 4 guys aren't great users, JJ was playing up the ground and Daniel was tagged which left only really Williams as our precision user back there. (I'd put Duryea and Crozier as good disposers when hitting an open man or long down the line, but they don't have the precision of Williams or Daniel to open a game up)
I kind of think, why change up so close to the finals with it working so well all year.

After thinking about it a bit though, we may want to play more of a style like we saw in the Freo game. That was a grind it out type of game, mostly played between the arcs. This kind of game style could be implemented to counter St Kilda's offensive game, which can be pretty strong when they are allowed to play on their terms. If we did implement something like this, we'd be backing in our mids to outplay their mids which would be a sound strategy on paper at least.
It does give us a bit more flexibility, but I'd only be considering swinging Cordy out of the backline. The rest can stay back as they are fish out of water up forward. Cordy at least knows what he's doing up forward to some degree. Daniel could be moved only if he's tagged, but then I'd be moving JJ back for his ability to break the line.
If Cordy plays forward I like the amount of talls we have but even then think Cordy and Bruce are playing the same role forward. If it was Schache and Naughty instead of Bruce and Naughty I’d like to see Cordy spend more time there. I feel like a Cordy, Bruce and Naughty trio up front would cause more harm to each other than good. All being crash and bash. I’d like to see Cordy go forward with Naughty when Bruce goes into the ruck. I could see that being a really interesting dynamic.

This is why I have been advocating playing an extra tall all year because it does add a hell of a lot more flexibility all around the ground. But it only works if we play versatile talls. I don’t think adding an extra tall who can only play defence against a certain type of opponent and is a liability around the rest of the ground is a good idea. If anything it sort of kills our flexibility rather than adding to it because like as you said 3 of our 4 taller options down back are fish out of water down forward.

Another issue I see is if you are playing that tall of a defence you just have to be marking the ball more often than not. Last week we really weren’t doing that and against a better forward line we probably would have been burnt. It’s only going to be harder this week against forwards like King and Marshall. The ball will be spending a lot of time on the ground inside our defensive 50 IMO having the likes of Gardener, Keath and Cordy lumbering around down there isn’t going to cut it.

I can see the thought process in trying to grind out the game like we did against Freo, but Saints are a completely different beast offensively than Freo. We’re going to have to kick a score, and most of our scoring all year has come from strong rebound out of defence. If we really want to change that now it leaves me a bit worried to be honest.

If Cordy plays forward I like the amount of talls we have but even then think Cordy and Bruce are playing the same role forward. If it was Schache and Naughty instead of Bruce and Naughty I’d like to see Cordy spend more time there. I feel like a Cordy, Bruce and Naughty trio up front would cause more harm to each other than good. All being crash and bash. I’d like to see Cordy go forward with Naughty when Bruce goes into the ruck. I could see that being a really interesting dynamic.

This is why I have been advocating playing an extra tall all year because it does add a hell of a lot more flexibility all around the ground. But it only works if we play versatile talls. I don’t think adding an extra tall who can only play defence against a certain type of opponent and is a liability around the rest of the ground is a good idea. If anything it sort of kills our flexibility rather than adding to it because like as you said 3 of our 4 taller options down back are fish out of water down forward.

Another issue I see is if you are playing that tall of a defence you just have to be marking the ball more often than not. Last week we really weren’t doing that and against a better forward line we probably would have been burnt. It’s only going to be harder this week against forwards like King and Marshall. The ball will be spending a lot of time on the ground inside our defensive 50 IMO having the likes of Gardener, Keath and Cordy lumbering around down there isn’t going to cut it.

I can see the thought process in trying to grind out the game like we did against Freo, but Saints are a completely different beast offensively than Freo. We’re going to have to kick a score, and most of our scoring all year has come from strong rebound out of defence. If we really want to change that now it leaves me a bit worried to be honest.
That's why I think keeping le.young Would be important he can come off the bench in a role similar to what westhoff has in the where he just covers the tall who is having a break

That's why I think keeping le.young Would be important he can come off the bench in a role similar to what westhoff has in the where he just covers the tall who is having a break
No arguments from me there. Big fan of Lewy Young. If we were going to play the extra tall I’d take Young who can play a negating role on a tall forward, can play loose down back, can play up forward and can play through the ruck. Much more useful than the tall defender who can’t do anything else except can play on a tall forward, well as long as their not too strong, or too quick...

Can see both sides to the extra tall down back argument.

My initial thoughts were in-line with doggies ftw. I just can't see enough room for all of Keath/Cordy/Gardy/Wood. Our backline has been our best unit all year with a 2 big/2 med/3 small rotation. It did seem pretty clogged up back there last week when we had ball in hand trying to rebound. Those 4 guys aren't great users, JJ was playing up the ground and Daniel was tagged which left only really Williams as our precision user back there. (I'd put Duryea and Crozier as good disposers when hitting an open man or long down the line, but they don't have the precision of Williams or Daniel to open a game up)
I kind of think, why change up so close to the finals with it working so well all year.

After thinking about it a bit though, we may want to play more of a style like we saw in the Freo game. That was a grind it out type of game, mostly played between the arcs. This kind of game style could be implemented to counter St Kilda's offensive game, which can be pretty strong when they are allowed to play on their terms. If we did implement something like this, we'd be backing in our mids to outplay their mids which would be a sound strategy on paper at least.
It does give us a bit more flexibility, but I'd only be considering swinging Cordy out of the backline. The rest can stay back as they are fish out of water up forward. Cordy at least knows what he's doing up forward to some degree. Daniel could be moved only if he's tagged, but then I'd be moving JJ back for his ability to break the line.

Yeah I'd usually be negative about that many kpd's but they are all mobile so we might actually have a decent set up atm

Am I the only one who doesn't disagree with much of that. The 2016 comments and midfield being one of the worst performed are BS but I see an argument for the rest.

Hmm. What about the ‘in serious trouble‘ bit.

All I’m saying is something has to be going right to be 10-5 after those write off opening two rounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm. What about the ‘in serious trouble‘ bit.

All I’m saying is something has to be going right to be 10-5 after those write off opening two rounds.
I'm not a fan of writing off poor performances. Taken as a whole I feel we have underperformed this year I could forgive a neutral giving a more extreme opinion.

This!
The difference in quality equates to the addition of 4 premiership players.
We are a totally different team with those additions - especially a fit and firing Libba!

Actually 5 premiership players. Doc has at least 1.

If Vandemeer gets up, he‘a also a much better player than he was on debut. In a short span of games he has become a major contributor.

Regardless of my thoughts on Gardener, you’re confident in him in a final?

This question reminds me a lot of Roberts in 2015.

I completely lost confidence in him after the Adelaide elimination final but if he had never played in it would he have been ready to play his role in that magical month in 2016?

I still lack confidence in Gardener but our current Defensive structure gives him a better chance of succeeding.

Gowers' scratch match form demands selection this week surely.

Who knows Bevo is the master of disguise. He has played:

Ryan Gardner and convinced the majority of bulldog bigfooty posters he is worthy of his place.
Roarke Smith after a number of sub par games even I think he should be in after last week.
If Gowers plays and we win Bevo might get the hatrick of magical deception.

I'm not a fan of writing off poor performances. Taken as a whole I feel we have underperformed this year I could forgive a neutral giving a more extreme opinion.
I love that argument, well if you take out the 22 games where we horribly under performed and just focus on the one where we won by 10 goals you could say we had a pretty good year!

Ive been content with our run home, but it’s been an all to familiar year of doing a lot right but a lot wrong. And a lot of that wrong doing has stemmed from things that are in our control. It’s been a lacklustre year overall for sure, hopefully the next 4 weeks changes that..

I love that argument, well if you take out the 22 games where we horribly under performed and just focus on the one where we won by 10 goals you could say we had a pretty good year!

Ive been content with our run home, but it’s been an all to familiar year of doing a lot right but a lot wrong. And a lot of that wrong doing has stemmed from things that are in our control. It’s been a lacklustre year overall for sure, hopefully the next 4 weeks changes that..

Gabba 170.6 metres x 149.9 metres
Metricon 158 x 134 metres
The dome 169.5m x 140m
The G 171 metres x 146 metres

So the Gabba is similar size to the G I reckon we play ok at the G :) and the Saints have a 50 per cent winning record at the Gabba this year
Really surprised the Gabba is that long to be honest. Seems shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back