Oppo Camp Atu Bosenavulagi (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

After a very promising debut and then a couple of so/so performances (including a very/very late call up) how do we feel about Atu B moving forward?

My personal opinion is that he might be in trouble if list sizes get reduced. I'd be happy to move him back to the rookie list to see how he continues to develop (if we can) but just feel like he doesn't quite have it.

Real Chance of being De-Listed

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I remain optimistic. Showed he can mix it at senior level on debut. He was coming from a long way back so to even get a debut this year is testament to his progress.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks just okay, but I still can't see how the Brown Brothers/Varcoe contributing more each week?

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks just okay, but I still can't see how the Brown Brothers/Varcoe contributing more each week?

After his debut he was truly awful, worse than Varcoe and Brown.

Problem is he's built and moves like a small forward, but he has no goal kicking instincts and isn't a natural crumber.

He's another Callum Brown unfortunately, no weapons, no goal sense and too small.

We've certainly lacked defensive pressure inside our forward 50 this year. Atu offers a nice contrast to some of our other players with tackling a strength. As seen with his debut he's also got a few other tricks developing. There's a role for him; hopefully with another preseason he can grab it.

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees
After his debut he was truly awful, worse than Varcoe and Brown.

Problem is he's built and moves like a small forward, but he has no goal kicking instincts and isn't a natural crumber.

He's another Callum Brown unfortunately, no weapons, no goal sense and too small.

Nonsense.

first of all let’s look at the opposition Atu played against - Haw, Geel and WCE. Two of those teams are in the Top 5. One of those against WCE he did not even get a warm up. News flash not many of our team looked like they could play, against WCE.

Atu should have been an opportunity in that four game stretch where we played Sydney, Adelaide etc. Then maybe we could be in a position to make a fair assessment.

One thing Atu showed he can do is tackle. Proper tackles. That is something we lack.

Look at Brent Daniels at Gws - took him a while to kick his first goal but now he looks very good.

For whatever reason we keep pumping games into Josh Thomas - complete waste of time. Please tell me what the role and purpose of Josh Thomas is?

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Like Keane, Tohil, Wilson, T Lynch... Atu was always a project player. If it weren’t for list size reductions I’d say keep him... or maybe delist and rerookie... but how many project players can we afford to persevere with?

And the delist and rerookie strategy is rarely successful. Only J Thomas and Keefe have gone on to be senior listed again and played decent footy.

Too bad he’s not Cat B rookie cause those boys will probably survive over senior listed Atu and T Lynch

Beans, Reid, Varcoe, Dunn, Broomhead will retire / delist. How many more need to go to reduce the list size to the new limit?
List sizes haven’t been confirmed yet, so that’s an impossible question to answer.

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees
Beans, Reid, Varcoe, Dunn, Broomhead will retire / delist. How many more need to go to reduce the list size to the new limit?

Plenty more to clean out - if we want to become a genuine preMiership contender.

We need to start looking at whether certain players are producing in line with their contracts.

WHE - gives you one good game a month. Has all the talent but doesn’t produce often enough.
Phillips - Butchers the ball too often.
Thomas - not a mid and not a forward.
Elliott - ok as a mid but not sure he is worth the coin
Cox - good games are too far apart.
Langdon - cooked.

it is laughable that we should be anywhere near the salary cap limit - too many overpaid players.

The club needs to become a bit more ruthless and get back into the draft.

Atu is the least of our worries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty more to clean out - if we want to become a genuine preMiership contender.

We need to start looking at whether certain players are producing in line with their contracts.

WHE - gives you one good game a month. Has all the talent but doesn’t produce often enough.
Langdon - cooked.

it is laughable that we should be anywhere near the salary cap limit - too many overpaid players.

Langdon looks done, I agree. We may look to trade Phillips and Thomas for draft picks.

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
I'd be happy to keep him on and get another preseason and some more development into him. As others have mentioned there are a few ahead of him in the queue when it comes to making list vacancies

OniAu

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nonsense.

first of all let’s look at the opposition Atu played against - Haw, Geel and WCE. Two of those teams are in the Top 5. One of those against WCE he did not even get a warm up. News flash not many of our team looked like they could play, against WCE.

Atu should have been an opportunity in that four game stretch where we played Sydney, Adelaide etc. Then maybe we could be in a position to make a fair assessment.

One thing Atu showed he can do is tackle. Proper tackles. That is something we lack.

Look at Brent Daniels at Gws - took him a while to kick his first goal but now he looks very good.

For whatever reason we keep pumping games into Josh Thomas - complete waste of time. Please tell me what the role and purpose of Josh Thomas is?

Negative forward pressure. So the ball bounces back to our backs and we pump it in again to make our I50 count flattering

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Negative forward pressure. So the ball bounces back to our backs and we pump it in again to make our I50 count flattering

A lot easier to score from inside F50 than inside D50. Just need to realise that potential.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
We have 47 on our list, could be as much as 9 minimum plus 3 more for draftees... Depends on what happens with Cat B rookies ect

I think the rule is currently a minimum of 3 changes to the senior list and 2 of those at the moment are the elevation of Checkers and Madge.

piemad1

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Langdon - cooked.

Fully agree. Would move them all on. We would do ok out of elliot and Phillips and get the others off the books anyway possible.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yea but theres no way in hell we aren't going to be taking at least 3 draft picks to the draft this year.

We've only taken 3 live picks to the last 2 drafts, and they weren't impacted by list reductions. Personally I'd like to see more but it will be very interesting to see how many we actually use this year and how we cull the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back