Coach Buckley to end AFL journey empty handed

Remove this Banner Ad

He played in a SANFL premiership and was an assistant coach in an AFL premiership. I'm surely playing or senior coaching an AFL one would mean something more to him than those have, but it's not live he's been utterly bereft of premiership success.

Point taken, but is a list of premiership assistant coaches maintained anywhere? Is anyone aware that Ryan Ferguson and Adam Kingsley are premiership assistant coaches?

Point taken, but is a list of premiership assistant coaches maintained anywhere? Is anyone aware that Ryan Ferguson and Adam Kingsley are premiership assistant coaches?

Buckley knows he played a vital role in a premiership, I doubt he cares whether some random person knows he did.

When Geelong bow out next week I'd totally be up for a no-questions-asked straight swap of Chris Scott and Mitch Duncan for Nathan Buckley and Steele Sidebottom.

Not world beating but........ You ??

An autographed poster of Kochie??

Mick was cooked.
No issue with transition.

Issue is complete failure to get a quality tall fwd since Travis Cloke left 10 years ago.

Looking at the difference Lynch has made at the Tigers only supports your post. The Pies are aware of their own list shortcomings evidenced by the fact that we’re also chasing Lynch.

Buckley is one of those guys who will not win a flag you can tell that about certain guys who have been around afl for such a long time. Mainly because he has always put himself ahead of the team and still does. Ruining Stephenson's career because he was jealous that he matched his own rising star win. Deciding to play him in the backline after dominating in the forward line is a pathetic coaching move. Picking so many talls in the forward line when the whole idea these days is to lock it in and put tackle pressure in the forward 50 doesn't make any sense. Cox, Cameron and grundy had rings run around them last night. Also geelong has a tall, old slow backline wouldn't he think to opt for speed. It seems like buckley has failed for so so long when a chance presents itself to succeed his mind goes on autopilot and does what he can to lose like how he knows best. Doesn't help when there is another failure next to him for many years same boat Robert harvey

Not world beating but........ You ??

An autographed poster of Kochie??
Yep nothing like individual success....

Some massive overreactions. Insipid last night but decent year all things considered.

De Goey, the first Geelong game aside, has looked bog average, Howe and Sidebottom a big loss. Could argue that if Howe didn't go down, Steele doesn't head out on the piss and get suspended. Grundy certainly didn't look right.

Add a fit Grundy, Sidebottom and Phillips and you've got a very different team, at least one not getting completely smashed in the middle.

If they can get the Beams contract off the books and turn it into a key forward, they'll be a good team next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckley is one of those guys who will not win a flag you can tell that about certain guys who have been around afl for such a long time. Mainly because he has always put himself ahead of the team and still does. Ruining Stephenson's career because he was jealous that he matched his own rising star win. Deciding to play him in the backline after dominating in the forward line is a pathetic coaching move. Picking so many talls in the forward line when the whole idea these days is to lock it in and put tackle pressure in the forward 50 doesn't make any sense. Cox, Cameron and grundy had rings run around them last night. Also geelong has a tall, old slow backline wouldn't he think to opt for speed. It seems like buckley has failed for so so long when a chance presents itself to succeed his mind goes on autopilot and does what he can to lose like how he knows best. Doesn't help when there is another failure next to him for many years same boat Robert harvey

In a completely terrible post, the bolded is beyond terrible

Yeah don't think the Pies will be contending for the next few years. They snuck into 8th and I think it goes deeper than injuries or travel. No one is owed a premiership, some are just unlucky. From Ablett to Riewoldt, the game is full of great players who got so close so many times but never won the ultimate. Long as they can hold their head up high I think.

The rebuild was necessary, when it occurred. It wasn't forced ahead of time.

I don't agree. You had the best performed team over two seasons and pushed ahead with a transition that may well have cost you the 2011 flag and hasn't delivered any such success since. I said at the time it could prove costly and it certainly has.

I advocated for Bucks to stay in charge a few years ago and be given the opportunity to see his rebuild through, but he's been at the helm nearly a decade now and it's been more fruitless than his predecessor, whom so many were keen to show the door after the same time period. Surely if Bucks doesn't do something significant next season, he doesn't get his contract renewed.

I advocated for Bucks to stay in charge a few years ago and be given the opportunity to see his rebuild through, but he's been at the helm nearly a decade now and it's been more fruitless than his predecessor, whom so many were keen to show the door after the same time period. Surely if Bucks doesn't do something significant next season, he doesn't get his contract renewed.
Collingwood have had the same issue for almost all that time - no key forward worth playing bar Cloke.

IMO while Moore is a better CHB than CHF, he had to play forward for the good of that team.

I think he's doing a pretty good job considering they are without any superstars (bar Grundy who looks injured), especially forward of centre where premierships are won and he was half a kick off doing that.

Treloar needs to be upgraded now, lost that explosiveness with the hamstring injuries and now isn't really performing any positive role in the midfield. An Adams clone like a Cunnington and a genuine tall forward would likely see them in the picture again. Do that and he's still a good chance at success with the majority of this side.

Can his journey end already?

I think he's doing a pretty good job considering they are without any superstars (bar Grundy who looks injured), especially forward of centre where premierships are won and he was half a kick off doing that.

Treloar needs to be upgraded now, lost that explosiveness with the hamstring injuries and now isn't really performing any positive role in the midfield. An Adams clone like a Cunnington and a genuine tall forward would likely see them in the picture again. Do that and he's still a good chance at success with the majority of this side.
We already have Adams, we don’t need a clone. We bid midfielders that can play other roles.

We already have Adams, we don’t need a clone. We bid midfielders that can play other roles.

He needs support winning the hardball. Probably another two hard mids required, one with more ability on the spread though.

Add a fit Grundy, Sidebottom and Phillips and you've got a very different team
I don’t think we do, Grundy even when fit was always ineffective his stat padding just hid that.

Sidebottom adds quality but he isn’t changing structurally.

Howe coming in is the only change that adds something significant into the side. And extra interceptor and ball user in the backline changes the dynamic of our backline. Doubt that will be enough though.

I remember buckley declaring darcy Moore to be our full forward to build around for the next decade. Smart coach haha. You can tell if someone is a bad coach if they would never get picked by any other club bar their own. Buckley and hird good examples poor coaches who would not be head coach at any other club other than where they played. Let's say buckley is a gun coach, ok how many years do you keep someone as coach at any club without winning a flag. There has to be a number. 15, 20 years ah good buckley probably only has5 years left can't wait

He needs support winning the hardball. Probably another two hard mids required, one with more ability on the spread though.
Another tall big bodied mid to compliment him for sure but we don’t need a clone.

Also find it odd you’d advocate for Treloar to go when he’s out best mid on the spread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back