Recommitted Clayton Oliver [re-signed until 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok mate so tell us what we did since you seem to know. I mean the club has come out and said we have enough money to go after A grader why are you disputing what the ceo said ?
I never said they couldn't afford it. I am saying Carlton fans numbers in this thread don't add up.

Maybe the CEO is being very loose with what he rates as an 'A grader'

Maybe the CEO is puffing out his chest a little leading in to the trade period

Or maybe Carlton have some players on the way out to go with the players coming in

Or maybe Carlton have just got the cash and been managed brilliantly

I am simply disputing that Carlton have front loaded a lot of contracts, had veterans on big money whilst also paying the minimum amount of the cap they can.

If we can get the Geelong deal done I’d offer 13 + our future first. Not really enough unless he’s absolutely desperate to leave.

Really depends on the Saad fall out as I don’t think we have enough currency unless we steal him for 27. Even then 7 + a future first is touch and go.

Can’t see Oliver leaving. Will cost any club far too much trade capital and Melbourne will be able to meet his salary requirements anyway. Probably the best pure inside mid in the comp outside our own Cripps but is 2 years younger.

I never said they couldn't afford it. I am saying Carlton fans numbers in this thread don't add up.

Maybe the CEO is being very loose with what he rates as an 'A grader'

Maybe the CEO is puffing out his chest a little leading in to the trade period

Or maybe Carlton have some players on the way out to go with the players coming in

Or maybe Carlton have just got the cash and been managed brilliantly

I am simply disputing that Carlton have front loaded a lot of contracts, had veterans on big money whilst also paying the minimum amount of the cap they can.
Regardless of how it is structured (which doesn’t matter)the ceo had said we have space for another A grader which would cost anywhere between 800 to 1 million. You only pay money like that to A grade mids or Kpps. So if we are in play for oliver we could fit him in with our current salary structure. Is there potential to push out some talented kids later down the track absolutely but let’s be honest our kids haven’t exactly set the world on fire. If they do come on that’s a good problem to have for us if anything we will get draft capital.

The average player salary is 400k. Kreuzer and Simpson would have been in our top ten, they would be nearer a combined 1.2m
Sorry mate no way year to year contract Simmo is on $600k and Kruezer on that.

The most would have been $500k

Disagree. Who are we paying if not our senior players?
This year?

A heavily front loaded Martin (still had room for Papley)

A big McGovern contract

Some overpaying on players from GWS that we had to pay to get out (Setterfield etc)

No club is massively paying a 36 year old on year to year contracts mate, Kade has his big contract 10 years ago, he would haven’t been on $750,000

If we can get the Geelong deal done I’d offer 13 + our future first. Not really enough unless he’s absolutely desperate to leave.

Really depends on the Saad fall out as I don’t think we have enough currency unless we steal him for 27. Even then 7 + a future first is touch and go.

Can’t see Oliver leaving. Will cost any club far too much trade capital and Melbourne will be able to meet his salary requirements anyway. Probably the best pure inside mid in the comp outside our own Cripps but is 2 years younger.
There’s zero chance we’d let him go for that. Put it this way. Not only is he worth significantly more. Mahoney and Goodwin have their jobs on the line this year. A first rounder this year and next isn’t helping their cause. It’d only happen this year if Melbourne could add an elite player to the list for next season.

Whilst I'm not a Carlton supporter, it's pretty obvious how they have cap room....

For the past 2 season they would of struggled to be at the 95% minimum so they front ended McGovern and Martin (and maybe others) to get to the max of 105%.
They are now paying heaps less on those front ended contracts for the coming seasons.

The difference between 95% and 105% is $1.24m, so if they are paying McGovern and Martin $400k less each this year than last, plus $1m from Kruezer and Simpson, that is $1.8m less than the 105% cap, or around 92%.
Meaning they have around 8%, or $900k just to reach 100% of the cap, plus another $600k to reach 105% if they have/need to.

All that said, according to AFL.com they are looking at a cheaper player then Oliver, and going on the above guesstimations, that tends to make sense.

My money would be on a Constable type

There’s zero chance we’d let him go for that. Put it this way. Not only is he worth significantly more. Mahoney and Goodwin have their jobs on the line this year. A first rounder this year and next isn’t helping their cause. It’d only happen this year if Melbourne could add an elite player to the list for next season.

I agree that two firsts won’t cut it even with nothing on the way back. It’s a fair offer, anything more and it starts getting towards Judd level. Couldn’t blame Melbourne for turning that down considering the position your list is in.

In saying all that, surely with Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw and Oliver in the middle something has to give? It won’t be Petracca and Viney has now signed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year?

A heavily front loaded Martin (still had room for Papley)

A big McGovern contract

Some overpaying on players from GWS that we had to pay to get out (Setterfield etc)

No club is massively paying a 36 year old on year to year contracts mate, Kade has his big contract 10 years ago, he would haven’t been on $750,000
I said $600, not $750. Again, with the average being $400, what do you think we are paying the younger guys...we had 30 on the list 23 or under, with 3 maybe 4 likely earning more than the average.

Some of the over 23 include Lang, Gibbons, Levi, Newnes and Newman who aren't making bank. Doesn't add up.

In saying all that, surely with Petracca, Viney, Brayshaw and Oliver in the middle something has to give? It won’t be Petracca and Viney has now signed.
No nothing does have to give, but let’s say it does. Why would Melbourne trade Oliver, the leagues number contested possession player and leagues number one clearance player?

Wait so Simpson and Kreuz were on close to 600k

Martin on over a mil for this year

Cripps and Doch on big money

Plus McGovern got big money when he came across

Yet they were paying 95% of the cap this year? I don't think so

Every club has senior players they pay a reasonable amount of money, but we've got a big drop off after those guys. It's not as though Walsh/Weitering/Setterfield are earning much yet.

Curnow's 'big' contract was heavily frontloaded so we could meet the minimum 95% at the time.

No one really knows, but I suspect we'd still have enough for another star.

No nothing does have to give, but let’s say it does. Why would Melbourne trade Oliver, the leagues number contested possession player and leagues number one clearance player?

He's not happy and wants to leave?

Doubt it happens, but these kind of trades will become more common in the future IMO. Players topping their current contracts up and taking a punt on another team long term.

He's not happy and wants to leave?

Doubt it happens, but these kind of trades will become more common in the future IMO. Players topping their current contracts up and taking a punt on another team long term.
Who made this up? What’s he not happy at?

I said $600, not $750. Again, with the average being $400, what do you think we are paying the younger guys...we had 30 on the list 23 or under, with 3 maybe 4 likely earning more than the average.

Some of the over 23 include Lang, Gibbons, Levi, Newnes and Newman who aren't making bank. Doesn't add up.
Which is why they had enough money to heavily front load Martin while still having the cap for others that didn’t eventuate. 🤦

I agree that two firsts won’t cut it even with nothing on the way back. It’s a fair offer, anything more and it starts getting towards Judd level. Couldn’t blame Melbourne for turning that down considering the position your list is in.

If something had to give it would be a contracted Brayshaw before a contracted Oliver. It’s not like we’ll be pushed into unders when he’s in contract.

I can't see that in the rules on the AFL website.

A top 25 per cent player is eligible for unrestricted free agency when next out of contract, provided a player can never be an unrestricted free agent until completing at least 10 years’ service at one club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back