Ross Lyon: Will He Coach Again?

Who will be the third team to be coached by Ross Lyon?

• GWS

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • Ross Lyon will stay in the media

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Noth Melbourne

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
He'd have to shake the perception that he's a 'top team coach'. Got St Kilda and Freo to the big dance but both walked away empty handed and subsequently fell off a cliff. Really doubt he'll get picked up from inside the media, would have to go back into clubland and learn some new tricks.

Listening to him on Footy Classified last night it is clear Ross knows his stuff and is still very passionate about the game. Can't say I like his uber defensive game, but I guess that is largely to do with the cattle he has before him. So will he coach again? He should. If the choice is between an experienced coach like Ross and an untried assistant, well......its a no brainer

Just my opinion but wasnt that impressed with him on Footy Classified.

Made a lot of terrible calls. E.g. kept talking up the Hawks and couldnt see they were seriously struggling.

Sounded like an old school coach to me.

Id be shocked if he got another go as a senior coach.

The GWS list is built perfectly for his management style of ingratiate superstars / alienate expendable workhorses and list cloggers. Could be good enough to make top 4 but won’t win a flag and could do even more damage to an already shaky culture.

I think we're about to see the 2nd and 3rd-time coaches become more prevalent. It depends on the Ross the Boss' attitude and game style?
North
GWS
Adelaide
Melbourne
Carlton
Essendon
All of whom could be making a change mid-season or at the end of 2021?

I doubt he hasn't been contacted in regards to some capacity already?

Well each to their own but I wouldn’t wish either on my worst enemies. Both complete con-artists IMO.

Might have made decent used car salesmen but both complete failures as AFL coaches.

Ross did get multiple teams into a GF. Surely that has some currency.

Honest question, why do you think Ross won't coach again?
I’m not saying that he definitely won’t. But I think any club desperate enough to take him will be making a mistake.

- I think his game plan has been shown not to cut it after long enough stints at StK and way too long at Freo.
- I don’t think he realises that his game plan stinks (I think he think he knows better, and that circumstances have been against him), so he won’t or can’t change his game plan
- I think he’s wasted the good talent he’s had on the lists he’s coached
- And that he hasn’t left the clubs he’s coached for long stints in good condition list wise
- Finally I just think he comes across as a smarmy bullshit artist, and not the sort of person who men are going to feel inspired following.

I’m not saying that he definitely won’t. But I think any club desperate enough to take him will be making a mistake.

- I think his game plan has been shown not to cut it after long enough stints at StK and way too long at Freo.
- I don’t think he realises that his game plan stinks (I think he think he knows better, and that circumstances have been against him), so he won’t or can’t change his game plan
- I think he’s wasted the good talent he’s had on the lists he’s coached
- And that he hasn’t left the clubs he’s coached for long stints in good condition list wise
- Finally I just think he comes across as a smarmy bullshit artist, and not the sort of person who men are going to feel inspired following.

All good, was just interested in opinions on the opposite side.

You make fair points. Only thought is he does have a record with good results. It will be interesting to see who seeks him out for a top gig in the future.

Just my opinion but wasnt that impressed with him on Footy Classified.

Made a lot of terrible calls. E.g. kept talking up the Hawks and couldnt see they were seriously struggling.

Sounded like an old school coach to me.

Id be shocked if he got another go as a senior coach.

Yeah I was a fan boy once, but watching footy classified I was a little stunned at how off the mark he sounded when talking about players and where teams were at

Didn't seem cluey at all when dissecting players, ones in which he would have coached against

Ross did get multiple teams into a GF. Surely that has some currency.
Look, I guess a couple of those early campaigns at StK were OK, but they were a fair while ago.

I don’t reckon his game plan has looked credible in recent years, and he thinks he knows it all so he’s not going to change it up.

All good, was just interested in opinions on the opposite side.

You make fair points. Only thought is he does have a record with good results. It will be interesting to see who seeks him out for a top gig in the future.
It’s really only North who would be a chance you think.

The Blues and StK have done well with Teague and Ratten.

Surely Essendon can’t be sick of Rutten before Woosha is out the door - that would be catastrophically stupid even by their standards.

TBH I’m not too sure what the situation at GWS is.

North might be tempted by a known quantity to settle things down for a year or two I suppose.

It’s really only North who would be a chance you think.

The Blues and StK have done well with Teague and Ratten.

Surely Essendon can’t be sick of Rutten before Woosha is out the door - that would be catastrophically stupid even by their standards.

TBH I’m not too sure what the situation at GWS is.

North might be tempted by a known quantity to settle things down for a year or two I suppose.
Would be a decent fit at a middle of the road team like Bulldogs, Essendon, Pies.

He will get another chance and a team will reap the rewards of that

Back