It's Happening Ross Lyon is Back to Coach St Kilda - Presser Link in OP

Where will Stkilda finish in 2023

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like an inspired and gutsy decision to bring Ross back. Got us a home final in his first season back while getting a whole lot of game time into our youth. He used to work with a squad of 26 experienced players while ignoring the rest of the list, but this year we've had kids playing key roles all season.

Wanganeen-Milera 23 games
Phillipou 23
Owens 22
Stocker 22
Byrnes 20
Windhager 18
Caminiti 17
Sharman 15

Last season that Ross coached us we didn't have any players in their first 3 seasons getting regular games. You can say that this is partially because our recruiting was poor and we had a strong senior team, but Ross would favour the likes of McQualter and Eddy over Armitage and Steven since they had completed their 'four year apprenticeship'

Well what you posted right here proves that Ross Lyon actually played younger players.

aussierulesrules , projectv , joop , bird_man , Mat Mann so rossy lyon does play youth lol

Looks like an inspired and gutsy decision to bring Ross back. Got us a home final in his first season back while getting a whole lot of game time into our youth. He used to work with a squad of 26 experienced players while ignoring the rest of the list, but this year we've had kids playing key roles all season.

Wanganeen-Milera 23 games
Phillipou 23
Owens 22
Stocker 22
Byrnes 20
Windhager 18
Caminiti 17
Sharman 15

Last season that Ross coached us we didn't have any players in their first 3 seasons getting regular games. You can say that this is partially because our recruiting was poor and we had a strong senior team, but Ross would favour the likes of McQualter and Eddy over Armitage and Steven since they had completed their 'four year apprenticeship'

I could say it was mainly because our recruiting was poor.
You are looking for players who were drafted at the end of 2008, 2009 and 2010.
In 2011:
21YO Ben McEvoy in his 4th season played 22 games.
22YO David Armitage in his 5th season played 22 games.
21YO Jack Steven in his 4th season played 21 games.

Early draft picks from the previous 3 drafts were :
2008: Tom Lynch 5 games in 2011. ( He didn't like training at the time ).
2009: No early picks, and Nicholas Winmar was a fan pleasing name who couldn't play AFL football. Got a single game, 9 disposals.
2010: Jamie Cripps got 4 games in his debut season. ( Mitch Owens got 7 in his ).

Ledger, Simpkin, Stanley, Winmar, Cripps, Alistair Smith, Daniel Archer, Will Johnson, Arryn Sippos all got games that season. They would have got more games if they could have reached the lofty heights set down by Dean Polo and Ryan Gamble. But they didn't. They were pretty much crap.

Well what you posted right here proves that Ross Lyon actually played younger players.

aussierulesrules , projectv , joop , bird_man , Mat Mann so rossy lyon does play youth lol

In a way we were lucky that we had long term injuries to Billings, Jones, Max King, Membrey, Jack Hayes etc because it made sure that Windhager, Nas, Philippou, Owens, Sharman, Byrnes and Caminiti all got solid game time and fortunately for us, they've all shown something or improved considerably.

Would they have played as many games with no injuries at the start of the season, who knows.

Worked out well for us. We haven't had a group of youngsters look this promising for over a decade. Ross has a lot to work with.

Last edited:

In a way we were lucky that we had long term injuries to Billings, Jones, Max King, Membrey, Jack Hayes etc because it made sure that Windhager, Nas, Philippou, Owens, Sharman, Byrnes and Caminiti all got solid game time and fortunately for us, they've all shown something or improved considerably.

Would they have played as many games with no injuries at the start of the season, who knows.

Worked out well for us. We haven't had a group of youngsters look this promising for over a decade. Ross has a lot to work with.
So you agree that Ross Lyon plays youf? LoL

But the myth was that when Ross Lyon has his full squad of 45 players, he sticks with his 24-28 players LoL

Last edited:

I think he now accepts that it is necessary and not going to severely harm short term success to play young players. In the past he dropped a young David Armitage after a BOG performance because he wasn't a part of his regular squad.

Lyon 3.0 is very different. Many similarities to the past but there are differences

I could say it was mainly because our recruiting was poor.
You are looking for players who were drafted at the end of 2008, 2009 and 2010.
In 2011:
21YO Ben McEvoy in his 4th season played 22 games.
22YO David Armitage in his 5th season played 22 games.
21YO Jack Steven in his 4th season played 21 games.

Early draft picks from the previous 3 drafts were :
2008: Tom Lynch 5 games in 2011. ( He didn't like training at the time ).
2009: No early picks, and Nicholas Winmar was a fan pleasing name who couldn't play AFL football. Got a single game, 9 disposals.
2010: Jamie Cripps got 4 games in his debut season. ( Mitch Owens got 7 in his ).

Ledger, Simpkin, Stanley, Winmar, Cripps, Alistair Smith, Daniel Archer, Will Johnson, Arryn Sippos all got games that season. They would have got more games if they could have reached the lofty heights set down by Dean Polo and Ryan Gamble. But they didn't. They were pretty much crap.
I don't think refusing to play Tom Lynch or Jamie Cripps are valid arguments to say that the Lyon of old would play kids. Getting 22 games in your fourth season is very different to doing that in your second or third as well

I don't think refusing to play Tom Lynch or Jamie Cripps are valid arguments to say that the Lyon of old would play kids. Getting 22 games in your fourth season is very different to doing that in your second or third as well
the weird thing was Tom Lynch was traded to the crows, had a solid career there. Jamie Cripps was traded to West coast to return to his home state in WA.

Not sinking the boots on here. Both blokes spent 2 years in the saints list before they were traded.

I dont know a lot about the saints list from when Lyon left in 2011 to the Scott watters era of 2012-13.

But from what I had heard, When Scott Watters was appointed coach, the saints salary cap was tight, so trades were minimal when Watters was the coach in his 2 years there.

I wish I had the article .

The year is 2035 and Freomaniac is the sole fanboi left, giving us all a great impersonation of Lt. Onoda. Still refusing to accept that Rossy is a dud.

Saints going nowhere under this fraud.

The year is 2035 and Freomaniac is the sole fanboi left, giving us all a great impersonation of Lt. Onoda. Still refusing to accept that Rossy is a dud.

Saints going nowhere under this fraud.
I will argue with you until my final Breath and tell you that Ross Lyon is a decent coach.

your fellow cats fans in Gavin Excell , The 747 and JackFlash will debate about Ross Lyons coaching ability, but I will defend Ross Lyon to the bitter end. lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest fraud in football. And I’ve been saying this for a decade now.
One day a collective reunion between the Pies, Cats and Hawks needs to be arranged to properly celebrate that we all did our duty to keep this fraud flagless.

Biggest fraud in football. And I’ve been saying this for a decade now.
Bloke managed to not win a flag twice in one year with Nick Riewoldt, Nick Dal Santo, Leigh Montana, Steven Milne, etc. lol

I don't reckon I could have done that if I tried

Would hate to have seen him waste King Charles and Prince Harry. Dodged a bullet there, even if it didn't look like it at the time.

You speak as if those players were long shots to make it.

Curnow & McKay went pick 10 and 12 in the 2015 draft.
Carlton have been horrendous for years. It's solely down to first round draft picks why you have risen up the ladder. Curnow would have been the best player in the game had he not suffered on-going knee issues.

In fact, Carlton should have made finals at least 1-2 years sooner than what they did.

Bloke managed to not win a flag twice in one year with Nick Riewoldt, Nick Dal Santo, Leigh Montana, Steven Milne, etc. lol

I don't reckon I could have done that if I tried

But you didn't try. You were stuck on the coach smoking darts.

Back