News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did GC back out of their interesting Brad? Was it simply his salary demands?
Why did GC back out of their interesting Brad? Was it simply his salary demands?
Was an odd one wasn't it? Offer a guy $1m then turn around and go "actually, nahh". I wonder why an AFL controlled club would do that? Very mysterious...

I posted this morning that I felt it would be a "no match" and we would take the band 2 compo, and we'd trade picks with the Saints to make the outcome better. I still believe that's the likely outcome.

Theres no point in matching if you don't want the player. Match and trade makes no sense when you have a compo pick available to you which evaporates in a trade and match scenario. Yes Kelly said band 1 or match, but saying that keeps the Saints honest in negotiations. Assuming they want Brad enough it ensures they want to avoid a match situation.

It blows my mind that they didn't just pay Brad enough to guarantee that. A free hit was on offer which was surely worth an extra $100k pa. But Brad's patchy history obviously worried them enough to make them lower their base and add a bunch of triggers.

We obviously don't want Brad on the terms the Saints have put forward. He shopped himself last year and would have gone to GC had they not got cold feet (or another reason). We put a decent offer to him which he rejected and which we then withdrew. That, together with the difficulties we have had with him was probably enough for us to put a line through him.

I get the anger about not getting pick 2, but I don't quite get the anger at the club. This isn't a trade. Adelaide can't control what St Kilda or the AFL do. The criticism is that we clearly misread his market value. It sounds to me as though, if this wasn't an RFA year for Brad, we would have been looking to trade him anyway, given that we told him to explore offers. So we clearly saw an opportunity to get a band 1 pick, probably based on what GC offered him last year.

In the context of all that, I'm ok with the club taking the compo and trading picks to get us a better final outcome. Pissed with no band 1, pissed with the Saints for not making a better offer, pissed with the AFL for their stupid manipulation, pissed that another first round pick (which he basically was) has turned into a bust and wasted talent, pissed with the club for getting itself into this position. But ok with them trying to make the best of another sh*t hand.
Why would the Saints pay Brad even more money when they're likely to get him basically for free under your suggestion anyway.

They didn't pay up because they correctly assessed that it wasn't required to get him

If the saints can get their hands on a mid 20's pick, that is traded to us and combined with 23 to go to the dogs for pick 14. We end up with roughly what Brad is worth. I feel that is what the saints are working on. We won't match but it's the threat of it that is making the saints sort something out.

Why would the saints act on a threat when there's no benefit doing so. It's us who must act to force a trade, there's serious doubts whether we'll do that. As it stands, Saints are odds on to pay nothing and they pay no more if forced to trade after we've matched.

The only other explanation there is for the delay is both Adelaide and St Kilda truly believed that the offer was enough to get us Band 1 compo, suddenly the AFL turn around and say 'nup, we're not gonna do it" and both parties are now sitting there like "Now what?" and have to spend the next 3 days trying to hammer out some sort of deal neither party wanted, but satisfies both.

Can we change that banner pic on this thread to a screen shot from his body cam footage?

We (and the club) know that Brad has 1 strike due to his error of judgment recently. Neither the club or the supporters are aware if there could be another one. Could the club be worried about this possibility?
Good point.

Was an odd one wasn't it? Offer a guy $1m then turn around and go "actually, nahh". I wonder why an AFL controlled club would do that? Very mysterious...
I thought GC suggested it was actually around $800K. Do you think the AFL vetoed the trade?

Brad won't play another game for us even if we did match(which we won't). It's in the saints and our best interests that the crows end up with a pick around 14. Will be a combo of pick 23 and a mid 20's pick that will be agreed now and sorted out once the trade week starts. Those picks will be the traded to WB for 14. Sure I would have loved pick 2 but the saints and Brad did what's best for them which I can understand. Pick 14 is likely his value in a trade. We end up with 1,9,14, 22,31,46,52,62,76. I feel we will trade 9 up to pick 5 if possible which will give us a very good draft hand.
If we figured we'd get that draft hand at the start of the year we'd have asked "where the **** did pick 9 come from"

Well that and "We finished bottom"

Cool ... I knew the new Hobart basketball was ahead of the curve choosing an insect!!

jj_display_assets_mrec_300wx250h_02-1.png
Logo way better than ours

Because we don't want him. Kelly was asked would we match, if he publicly hesitated on that, we lose any leverage to get the Saints to the trade table for picks.

Trust me, if there's no trade for picks involved in all of this, I'll join the torches and pitchforks crew.
Yeah, I'm with you.

Just compo?

Then stuff them.

Manage to get picks in addition to the compo, to ensure we don't match?

I can live with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have it on good authority that Brad is angry with the club. I don't know why (but I asked). However, it sounds like Nicks likes him....maybe can talk him round.

Why would the Saints pay Brad even more money when they're likely to get him basically for free under your suggestion anyway.

They didn't pay up because they correctly assessed that it wasn't required to get him
A five pick downgrade isn't much, but it's not "free". Alternatively, next year's first rounder certainly isn't "free".

I have it on good authority that Brad is angry with the club. I don't know why (but I asked). However, it sounds like Nicks likes him....maybe can talk him round.
mitchyboy23 says not

The only other explanation there is for the delay is both Adelaide and St Kilda truly believed that the offer was enough to get us Band 1 compo, suddenly the AFL turn around and say 'nup, we're not gonna do it" and both parties are now sitting there like "Now what?" and have to spend the next 3 days trying to hammer out some sort of deal neither party wanted, but satisfies both.
Has anyone got some polaroids of Gil and a few others at AFL house that might help with the renegotiation for band 1 :cool:

I feel like crows are far too smart to be our mascot.

You drive all around Australia you'll never see a dead crow on the road. You just see them feasting on road kill.

We are road kill.
Roadkill hey. 🤔 how about Adelaide Bunnies. We’re everyone’s bunnies already and bunnies are often roadkill. ☹️

A five pick downgrade isn't much, but it's not "free". Alternatively, next year's first rounder certainly isn't "free".
If they know we aren't going to match, they don't need to do any deals. They can just sit back and watch us implode.

And even if we do force them into some side deal using the (zero) leverage we have, at worst it would have to be a deal the AFL would actually tick off. So it would never be heavily in our favour.

If they're saving $1m+ in the process I'm sure they would be over the moon at that outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back