News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know when it is going to start?

September 2021 from the press today:

"Geelong sports fans can get a sneak peek at the future of their beloved Kardinia Park stadium.
Plans now on show give the best insight yet into how the city end of the Cats’ home ground is about to be revamped with $142 million from Victorian taxpayers.

The fifth and final stage of the stadium’s redevelopment is the most costly yet, but will cement it’s standing as the best sports venue in regional Australia, and a host for national football, soccer, cricket and rugby league fixtures.

Members of the public have until 5pm Wednesday, January 20 to comment on the plan put forward by the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust as part of the process for gaining approval from state Planning Minister Richard Wynne.

Plans for the stage 5 renovation of Geelong's Kardinia Park Stadium (GMHBA Stadium) have been revealed, with the project expected to start in September 2021.
Plans for the stage 5 renovation of Geelong's Kardinia Park Stadium (GMHBA Stadium) have been revealed, with the project expected to start in September 2021.
If all goes to plan, work will start in September, once the Cats have ended their home and away season.

That would allow the project to be unveiled at the club’s first home game of 2023, exactly 20 years after Cats bosses Brian Cook and Frank Costa started it.

Their crusade to rebuild the stadium was launched shortly after Cook arrived at the club in 1999 and realised how dilapidated the facilities were, and the dire state of the club’s finances.

Rather than shift all home games to the AFL’s shiny new Docklands facility — then known as Telstra Dome, now as Marvel Stadium — they released a concept plan for the stadium rebuild in 2001.

In May 2003 the Victorian premier — and Cats supporter — Steve Bracks, made the first big promise to the project — $13.5 million to help build the Reg Hickey Stand on the Moorabool St wing. Others contributed to the various stages over the next two decades, but most of the money came from state governments.

When the works are eventually done, GMHBA Stadium — as it is known these days — will be almost unrecognisable from what it was at the turn of the century.

The total invoice for the rebuild will stand at $335 million.

The Ford Stand, Gary Ablett Terrace and Polly Farmer Gate will all be toppled during the coming works, replaced by a 14,000-seat northern grandstand with a jagged roof.

It will increase the stadium’s capacity crowd from 36,000 to 40,000.

The concourse and entry plaza will become the venue’s main entry point, allowing Cats fans and other sports lovers to pour in off Moorabool St.

But design firm Populous says it will have broader public appeal, pledging it will be “a stand for the city as opposed to a sport” and create “an enduring piece of public architecture that welcomes all to not just the stadium, but to Kardinia Park and the city of Geelong.”

A new function room and corporate suites will be spread across four levels of the new facility.

Improved changerooms will also be added for athletes, and there will be better provisions for security staff, ground officials, media and an office for the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust, which runs the venue.

The Geelong Cricket Club will have its off-field facilities upgraded, and also score a stand-alone indoor training facility near its present outdoor complex."

Amazing that we get to look forward to this project kicking off this year. And to the thought that we'll be playing our footy in a fully redeveloped stadium in two years.

The GFC has taken enormous steps on and off the field since the dark days before Costa and Cook. Can't wait to stand back, look around, and take a deep breath at the bounce of the ball at Kardinia Park in 2023. This club has come a very long way in the last 20 years. And I, for one, will be taking the time then to savour the moment. And the journey, for that matter.

We. Are. Geelong.

Last edited:

I'm daydreaming, but would love it if they took some seats out at the bottom level of the hickey stand and had some safe standing on the wing. Would look uniquely great on tv, and give the stand some character compared to the rest of the ground. Even if it was the back half of seats. Exits and amenities permitting, would also boost the capacity up further.

I'm daydreaming, but would love it if they took some seats out at the bottom level of the hickey stand and had some safe standing on the wing. Would look uniquely great on tv, and give the stand some character compared to the rest of the ground. Even if it was the back half of seats. Exits and amenities permitting, would also boost the capacity up further.
I always thought it would be possible if they slid off the seats on the metal railing and instead put in a stand up table almost with cup holders. The barriers keep each row separated from each other, and the table at standing height is great for food and drinks to rest on, but you'd fit an extra 33% or so per row which the Hickey Stand Needs. That section isn't too steep either so I'd say it'd be fairly safe.

Always wondered why they never did it on Level 1/M at the MCG for grand final day

Something like this, but with a small table on top of each railing.

1611034292214.png

I always thought it would be possible if they slid off the seats on the metal railing and instead put in a stand up table almost with cup holders. The barriers keep each row separated from each other, and the table at standing height is great for food and drinks to rest on, but you'd fit an extra 33% or so per row which the Hickey Stand Needs. That section isn't too steep either so I'd say it'd be fairly safe.

Always wondered why they never did it on Level 1/M at the MCG for grand final day

Something like this, but with a small table on top of each railing.

View attachment 1042894
I remember there was some discussion surrounding removing seats at the mcg for the grand final, around a decade ago. I'll see if I can find any articles about it.

Evening all, managed to stuble across the tender application for Stage 5 and it had a sample of the architectural drawings attached to it. As an architecture student and big cats fan I got excited, so thought I'd share.

Of particular interest personally was the sheer size of the thing, it appears much deeper in section than any of the other stages before it, and this is seen also in the roof panels being much larger. The height at it's peak is also rather huge by comparison to the already tall brownlow stand.

Also a lot of space for cricket included, both Geelong Cricket Club facilities and change rooms for the ground itself. And a potential for what looks like an enclosed cricket training facility to replace the current one. Getting excited to see construction begin now!

P.S. Apologies for the split files, plans in one document was too large to attach

Attachments

• Attachment 2 - Architectural Elevations.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 452
  • Attachment 3 - Architectural Sections.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 255
  • Attachment 1 - Architectural Plans_Part1.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 169
  • Attachment 1 - Architectural Plans_Part2.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 191
  • Attachment 1 - Architectural Plans_Part3.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 172
  • Attachment 1 - Architectural Plans_Part4.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 171
  • Attachment 1 - Architectural Plans_Part5.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 158
  • Attachment 1 - Architectural Plans_Part6.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 172
  • Attachment 1 - Architectural Plans_Part7.pdf
    884.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Attachment 1 - Architectural Plans_Part8.pdf
    664.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Attachment 1 - Architectural Plans_Part9.pdf
    636.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Attachment 1 - Architectural Plans_Part10.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 151
  • Attachment 1 - Architectural Plans_Part11.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 173
Evening all, managed to stuble across the tender application for Stage 5 and it had a sample of the architectural drawings attached to it. As an architecture student and big cats fan I got excited, so thought I'd share.
Thank you very much. Looks quite interesting, especially how the roof arches instead of being flat. Don't think the past players stand does that.

Great for the future a bit sad that it will never stay the same, the days of standing on the wing with a can are a fading memory too the oldies now

The Windsock from the Moorabool Street wing should have been immortalized and placed in a safe viewing place at Kardinia Park.

So have I got it right that this stand is a bit over 14,000 capacity?
The $142 million development will see the construction of a new 14,000 capacity, two-tier northern stand to replace the ageing Ford Stand and Ablett Terrace, increasing the venue’s capacity to over 40,000 and boosting the venue’s ability to attract national and international events.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm envious - Congratulations to the Geelong football club and your management and board.
You are the only club that can truly now compete financially and with a true home ground advantage on field, long term against all interstate teams.

The Geelong Football Club did come under some pressure from the AFL to abandon Kardinia Park. IIRC it was a case of redevelop the ground or end up at Etihad. I am glad that the Cats stuck with K'Park.
We are the only Victoria club, besides Melbourne, that has stayed with their traditional suburban (or in Geelong's case, city) ground. And yes, I am fully aware that Geelong's home grounds were formerly at the Eastern Gardens and prior to that in Geelong West near the Argyle Hotel.

I'm envious - Congratulations to the Geelong football club and your management and board.
You are the only club that can truly now compete financially and with a true home ground advantage on field, long term against all interstate teams.
You guys should've kept PP. It was good.
Bit of a pity IMO.
Noone will ever compete with West Coast financially but you guys have have pokies. So you should be fine.

The Geelong Football Club did come under some pressure from the AFL to abandon Kardinia Park. IIRC it was a case of redevelop the ground or end up at Etihad. I am glad that the Cats stuck with K'Park.
We are the only Victoria club, besides Melbourne, that has stayed with their traditional suburban (or in Geelong's case, city) ground. And yes, I am fully aware that Geelong's home grounds were formerly at the Eastern Gardens and prior to that in Geelong West near the Argyle Hotel.

It was close...in 2000 we had try out with 4 games at the docklands but the cookster soon realised that there was a huge difference in $$$ potential. Id say if we had not stayed and had move to melb , we may be have been looking at the Hobart Cats by now

If they were allowed to cram people into standing room like the old days then we would hold 40,000 now

They had just under 50,000 back in Geelong's halcyon days of the early 50's.

I was at Kardinia Park in 1980 when Geelong played Collingwood and they had 42,278 in the ground. Being vertically challenged, I had to move through the crowd constantly to find a spot to get a view of the game.
But we won that day and Rod Blake was a stand out in the ruck.

This stand does look bigger than previous stages. I can count about 23 rows of seats on the top level and 37 on the lower. The Players Stand is more like 14 on top and 31 below. Should be good for crowd noise.

Also, the new stand seems to wrap further around on the Moorabool St side than the Players Stand, extending to where the scoreboard is at the Players end and covering part of the spiral ramp. Those two missing bays from that development might never get built but hopefully we dont have the huge gap that mars the southern wing.
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 10.53.05 am.png Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 10.48.17 am.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back