Preview Round 1 Preview : Hawthorn v Essendon, 7.40pm Sat 20th March, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. This is the exact reason Henry the 8th broke from the Roman Catholic Church and had parliament declare him the head of Uniting Church of England; annulment from Catherine of Aragon was achieved and he lived out his remaining years a happy and content bachelor.

So he was happy being an immobile pox ridden grumpy fat lump?

A little surprised at no Lewis in the sense we really seemed set on having three talls and two rucks. But during the practice games we did tend to put McEvoy on the bench a lot, which is less viable in home and away. I’m ok with this. 3 taps and 1 ruck or 2 and 2. 3 and 2 makes us top heavy.

This. This is the exact reason Henry the 8th broke from the Roman Catholic Church and had parliament declare him the head of Uniting Church of England; annulment from Catherine of Aragon was achieved and he lived out his remaining years a happy and content bachelor.
Thomas Cromwell disagrees.

A little surprised at no Lewis in the sense we really seemed set on having three talls and two rucks. But during the practice games we did tend to put McEvoy on the bench a lot, which is less viable in home and away. I’m ok with this. 3 taps and 1 ruck or 2 and 2. 3 and 2 makes us top heavy.

Asking a lot of Koschitzke to be the number one forward. Technically that’s meant to be Timmy but I think I’m beyond hoping he will start clunking them.

Really like the side we’ve named. All the youth who have performed over the preseason getting a run sends the right message.

Howe over Downie was a slight surprise although Connor will likely be the sub. Do like Howe in the side though as he’s a big body and versatile.

Tomorrow night could be anything. Hoping did a big win but equally wouldn’t be shocked if there are teething problems, particularly up forward.

Go Hawks!

I’m not sure of the match up but I’m cheerleading for Howe to become the best tagger in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be hoping for a late change for Downie- was incredibly excited to see him out there.
It show's that we're in a really good position as a club when there's this much contention around selections.
Scrimshaw, Wingard and Gunston all best 22 who aren't in which is even more exciting.

I agree with most; Downie would be my preference to start over Howe, but that's also in part because Howe is one of our most versatile players (if a little slow) and is a better filler.
Other than that I'm still really excited for a cracking game!
Essendon will come out hot and our KPF's have a couple of tough matchups down there.
Hawks by 8.

Not sure about telling Downie he is playing, advertising it complete without video of him calling his mum, then naming him as an emergency. Perhaps there is a known late change.

Edit: - never mind, I see he will be the named medical emergency.

Also tough on Greaves missing out. No Scrimshaw?

Day named on the wing. :D

tenor.gif
With Hardwick at CHB and Worpel at CHF!

Not sure about telling Downie he is playing, advertising it complete without video of him calling his mum, then naming him as an emergency. Perhaps there is a known late change.
How early do they have to submit the team sheet the day before? Would be very interesting we had an injury post sheet submission.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Asking a lot of Koschitzke to be the number one forward. Technically that’s meant to be Timmy but I think I’m beyond hoping he will start clunking them.
Yeah, agreed. Against the dogs kosi wasn’t getting separation like he did against north. He was ok at contesting the high ball but it was clearly not his strength. He will need to do it against the bombers. I think he thrived being the number one and I’d expect he knows it is perform or move aside for Lewis.

I was rewatching the practice game against the dogs today and his tackling and size stood out. He was a real physical presence in a side that generally lacks that presence. Similar to north but it was probably more important against the dogs. I can see why he has been picked.
He's the kind of player that needs continuity of games and good players around him to fulfil his role.
Injuries have not been kind to his development nor the mro and brittle boned oppo

We all know it doesn't count though. I'm sure us and his family can't wait to see how well he sits on the bench for 4 quarters if we don't rort the new sub rule.

Disappointing areas on every level with this call.

Aside from that, I think this 22 can get the job done against the Bombers!
Breust played his first 15 games as sub. It does count.

Last edited:
Just coming back from an injury playing at Marvel in a spot we have cover for, with his history of injury there's no need to rush him back.
I hope that’s the reason, but I don’t think so. Had knee bruising, can’t imagine a risk of reinjury. Played a full game last weekend and pulled up fine. Was declared fit to play.

Sure, he may be lacking match fitness - but this is a big watch for me. Not the first time he’s been left out of a round 1 team.

Surprised Scrim wasn't picked, and Howe was. Otherwise it's on the money.

What about the match ups?
Clearly Hooker has to play back now, which is a win for us. We can handle 2MP and Jones.

I'll call it now, Draper is the key. We win the ruck and we'll win the game.
Yep agreed. Though based on what 4P and other training watchers have said, Howe has been right in the thick of it at training and a pretty critical on everything we doing. Based on that, was ready for it.

Surprised Scrim wasn't picked, and Howe was. Otherwise it's on the money.

What about the match ups?
Clearly Hooker has to play back now, which is a win for us. We can handle 2MP and Jones.

I'll call it now, Draper is the key. We win the ruck and we'll win the game.
Surprised by Scrim, but it makes sense that he plays a game elsewhere.

It’s a pretty good looking side. Looking forward to when Wings and Gunner are available.,

Really happy with this side. In the most part, we have gone for speed. Only change would’ve been Howe for one of Scrimshaw or Greaves. The 2021 game is all about speed and hitting targets and Howe offers neither.

Reckon team selection will be the difference between winning and losing early on for some as teams adjust to the new rules. Hopefully we are ahead of the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back