Autopsy GC Suns V Roos - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a genuine tall forward.

We have Larkey and a cupboard full of????

Larkey himself is still a???

Jack doesn't solve the forward problems.

Just on Jack. He'd lay down in traffic for the club wouldn't he.
Not critical of his heart. The campaigner has heaps of heart. Forward lines are complex and having at times two key forwards spoiling one another means, there should be someone that knows structure to guide them. Plus he can hit up a lead alright. Few things in the current state im not comfortable with (coaching/tactics)

How many times did we have guys running past for a handball receive? Not many.

I reckon what we,are seeing now is planned to bear fruit in 18-24 months.

They'll get better.

It'll be slow.

I'm well and truly in the acceptance stage already.
We will likely not win a game this year and that was pretty obvious with how many players we cut and our preseason form. I struggle to see many games where we'll even be genuinely competitive. We've had a handful of competitive quarters in four games, including pre-season.
I still think we cut a couple of players too many and our list management is far from convincing, but that's where we are.
Good news is that things will still get worse most likely as we need to replace Goldy, Ziebell, Cunners and Taz in next couple of years.
The forward line stinks and concerns within the club about the decision to move on Brown seem well founded.
The defensive structure is non existent. GC did training drill stuff at times.
The mids don't chase.
Our disposal is deplorable.
The first half effort was simply abysmal.
We're putting a lot of stock in the likes of Jy and LDU and they should come good, but they have been underwhelming thus far (aside from LDU's first qtr last week). Jy seems to be trying to do too much.
It seems to me our guys look good in pre-season, because they are playing against us.
Tyson is nowhere near it. Waste of a list spot (along with Campbell and Hall). Shows no urgency for a bloke with career on line.
Atley is a horribly underwhelming senior footballer. He played better in second half but he can't make the mistakes he does, every week.
Thomas is class but doesn't do enough, often enough.
Walker is a pure defender.
Zurhaar and Larkey struggling, but playing forward in this team would be like being on death row. You know it's not ending well.
Mahony - goer but needs an elite quality, what is it?
Turner - days since he last kicked a goal? Tries but no impact.

On positive note...
Lazzaro looked good.
Powell shows class. But I refuse to get my hopes up on him as this game always ends in pain at North these days. Fingers crossed he bucks the trend.
McKay and Corr can hold their heads high. As can Young.
Jed cracked in, set an example. But doesn't use it well.
Bonar did well. Maybe try him on ball?

This is the worst North team in 50 years and it's gonna be that way for some time.
Never beaten? Not best year for that slogan.
I just hope we don't waste the draft capital we'll get. The implications of doing that don't bear thinking about.

A team hasn't gone winless since the 60's. We look s**t but we've played a top 4 team and then a team around about the 8 at their home deck in hell. yes we have problems, but it's early in the season and the rebuild. I'd be shocked if we don't jag a win some time. IMO so far this season we've had 3 good quarters, 2 god awful ones, and then another 3 which were just regular old poor.

In terms of the long term stuff I do have worries about the senior players we will have to replace, and it's one of the things that makes me think we may well be in for a full 5+ year reload before we start challenging. If things go right I think 2023 we can start launching, but we'll be cutting it fine.

Not critical of his heart. The campaigner has heaps of heart. Forward lines are complex and having at times two key forwards spoiling one another means, there should be someone that knows structure to guide them. Plus he can hit up a lead alright. Few things in the current state im not comfortable with (coaching/tactics)

Take Ws & Ls off the table, and a broader view of where we are going.

We are at square 1.

I don't subscribe to the joking around after the game theory - if it is after the siren and said players have given their all then there isn't much point in acting filthy.

The coaches would have data on work-rate and I'd like to think that we will use the lever of omitting players if it's an ongoing problem.

Firstly i would like to know why we cannot handle or dispose of properly a slippery pill in a night game at Metricon, after all the experience gained last year ?

Sacrificial running, 1%'s like shepherding/blocking etc, are these concepts unknown to either our players or coaches ?

Slow play to allow opposition time to set defensive structures far too often.

A few small positives to take away from the wreckage, Powell, Bonar, McKay, Jed back, Lazzaro

At this stage, Good Friday is just about " line in the sand " time for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really?

He hasn’t improved since his first game.

He doesn’t kick goals.

He doesn’t have any tricks.

He is not quick.

Just we want out of a small forward.

I’m not interested in arguing about it. Email the coach and give your feedback, cos he’s the third AFL coach who’s picked him week in week out over his career.

I’m not interested in arguing about it. Email the coach and give your feedback, cos he’s the third AFL coach who’s picked him week in week out over his career.
That is simply because we have no other options.

Same reason we are still playing Larkey, Mahoney, Atley, Tyson, Polec, etc.

I don't subscribe to the joking around after the game theory - if it is after the siren and said players have given their all then there isn't much point in acting filthy.

The coaches would have data on work-rate and I'd like to think that we will use the lever of omitting players if it's an ongoing problem.

These blokes have played juniors together, they’re mates off the the field....

Tyson, Turner and Thomas - total tackles = 2
Can’t tell me that’s putting pressure on the opposition.
Suns managed the slippery ball much better than us.
Entry into forward 50 is horrible. Big skied kicks to packs just isn’t working.

I think people need to calm down with the vitriol, 2021 and 2022 is going to suck dick, if you can't deal with it then switch off because your posts writing off everyone is just going to make for comedy gold in the future.

You can't just throw a bunch of players together and expect them to gel overnight, especially when you change up the game plan to play very differently, we have had a perfect storm of losing players, injuries and rebuilding. We would probably be a lot more competitive with Cunnington, Anderson and Dumont all in the side after having strong pre-seasons but that isn't our reality. Lower rotations also hurts us a lot as are moves to make it harder to defend.

Half the side on the park atm is likely not going to be with the club in 3 years time, the list is going to evolve. We are probably going to get a look at a couple more really top end players. What is going to determine if our rebuild is shorter or longer depends on how much gold we can get from those outside of the first round. If we get nothing from Will Walker, Xerri, Taylor, Scott, Comben, Mahony, Perez, Lazzaro, Spicer and Ford then it is going to take us longer.

I'd like us to be more competitive, but it is important we play a brand of footy that will one day allow us to contend rather than play a Scott brand of footy that saw us exit finals every year humiliated. There is still going to be a lot of change over the next few years, the lack of leadership and class on-field is coming home to roost, all the young sides that are looking good now looked hopeless a few years ago, GC even got priority picks they were so s**t... but our PF final sides routinely came here and lost comfortably, so if you are expecting this side to do a lot better then your grasp on reality is as loose as our foot skills atm.

No sh*t huh? Square 1 is not where I see the list. I dont see the list as a top 8 team, I actually see the list as a competitive team. The last 7 quarters of footy was non competitive tripe.
How do you win a quarter and be non competitive during it.

We've won 3 of 8 quarters this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back