Covid-19 Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Part 4 - Ivermectin doesn't work either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 5:

What did they do that was appreciably different to the countries where lockdowns didn't work? And I mean specifically their lockdown rules.
Well, the UK decided that an Australian style quarantine system might be a good idea...about 6 weeks ago.

You don’t think that’s part of the same overall strategy? Try again.
No, the argument is that our lockdowns weren't half-arsed where others were i.e. our methods would've worked in countries without the ability to easily close borders, and where the virus spread had already reached pandemic levels.

I'm far more concerned about our young people than the oldies.

Property prices booming, education impeded, social development stalled, and employment opportunities limited. It seems we've sold out our children's future to give granny Mavis another 5 years of alone time in her nursing home.

If I learned anything from 2020, it's that I don't like people.

No, the argument is that our lockdowns weren't half-arsed where others were i.e. our methods would've worked in countries without the ability to easily close borders, and where the virus spread had already reached pandemic levels.
Our overall strategy wasn’t half arsed. We closed borders, and made people quarantine. Italy put in some half-arsed measures a week ago. The UK a month before them. They have been extraordinarily stupid, and they’ve been pummeled.

Your pin up boys, the Swedes, at least recognised their mistake and rushed legislation allowing them to place restrictions on their people that previously they were unable to do. Currently not allowed to gather in groups of more than eight.

Last edited:
The 2nd Melbourne lockdown felt extended to me. Having seen the effects on children, I'm still undecided as to whether it was the right choice.
Do you think the effects would be greater than rest of the world where thousands upon thousands of people dead...you know parents, grandparents, uncles, aunties etc.?

What did they do that was appreciably different to the countries where lockdowns didn't work? And I mean specifically their lockdown rules.
Didnt allow people to go on holiday in the middle of the pandemic was a big one

Having your leader not wear a mask and tell people chlorine and anti malaria tablets work is probably another

Do you think the effects would be greater than rest of the world where thousands upon thousands of people dead...you know parents, grandparents, uncles, aunties etc.?
As posted earlier, I'm undecided whether the cost was worth the benefits.

People die all the time, especially old people. If the cost of our children's future is sacrificing old people, I'll take that.

People die all the time, especially old people. If the cost of our children's future is sacrificing old people, I'll take that.

How has that worked for the USA?

Our overall strategy wasn’t half arsed. We closed borders, and made people quarantine. Italy put in some half-arsed measures a week ago. The UK a month before them. They have been extraordinarily stupid, and they’ve been pummeled.

Your pin up boys, the Swedes, at least recognised their mistake and rushed legislation allowing them to place restrictions on their people that previously they were unable to do. Currently not allowed to gather in groups of more than eight.
Didnt allow people to go on holiday in the middle of the pandemic was a big one

Having your leader not wear a mask and tell people chlorine and anti malaria tablets work is probably another
So the main difference is border closures, which protected us and NZ because we had so few cases to begin with. Does that mean that you accept the stringency of their lockdowns are similar to ours, except border closures? Or to put it another way, are the continuing waves of cases in Europe almost entirely due to international travel, which is a fraction of pre-Covid levels?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the main difference is border closures, which protected us and NZ because we had so few cases to begin with. Does that mean that you accept the stringency of their lockdowns are similar to ours, except border closures? Or to put it another way, are the continuing waves of cases in Europe almost entirely due to international travel, which is a fraction of pre-Covid levels?
Obviously they werent and/or the people werent as compliant
As we saw in Australia it doesnt take much to keep the virus spreading even with good lock downs and closed borders

Finland, Norway and Iceland have done well, whereas most of the rest of Europe has floundered. Densely populated countries like South Korea and Vietnam have done well, the Americas have been dreadful. Focusing on lockdowns (which has been only a small part of successful nations’ responses) is silly. Its not a one response fits all scenario. But it’s the countries that have taken this thing seriously from the start, using a raft of strategies, and politicising it the least are the ones that are coping the best.

Last edited:
Im in Europe and had covid a couple of weeks ago.

Was like a mild cold for 2-3 days, then general tiredness for another ~3.

All good now.

Half a dozen friends also had it. Most similar to me, a couple with more flu like symptoms (headache, fevers, aches and pains) for a week or so.

All around our 30s, relatively healthy; for us, it was nothing to worry about.

NSW got it right, sensible and targeted restrictions. Yet despite the doom and gloom merchants on the ABC and lefties everywhere, no one died from the Northern Beaches outbreak.

Early and sensible is the best attack, not letting it spread for weeks undetected like Victoria last year and not going extreme and locking down the entire state over a couple of cases like Victoria this year.

But much like with the ADF offer last year, if Dan hears the words do you want what NSW has, he runs in the opposite direction (Although maybe not much running now as hobbling 😜)

NSW got it right, sensible and targeted restrictions. Yet despite the doom and gloom merchants on the ABC and lefties everywhere, no one died from the Northern Beaches outbreak.

Early and sensible is the best attack, not letting it spread for weeks undetected like Victoria last year and not going extreme and locking down the entire state over a couple of cases like Victoria this year.

But much like with the ADF offer last year, if Dan hears the words do you want what NSW has, he runs in the opposite direction (Although maybe not much running now as hobbling 😜)
NSW is the definition of gold standard.

Apart from the fact this is what we've done and it never got a proper foothold?

Initially timid government measures and pockets of population that thought they were too good to follow advice is what screwed Europe. The Italians initially took "lockdown" to mean they had time off work to go to the beach. The English PM was busy running around hospitals shaking hands and licking keyboards.
But those measures won't make the virus disappear permanently. That's what I think he meant and it's a good point.

I'm far more concerned about our young people than the oldies.

Property prices booming, education impeded, social development stalled, and employment opportunities limited. It seems we've sold out our children's future to give granny Mavis another 5 years of alone time in her nursing home.

If I learned anything from 2020, it's that I don't like people.
It's not just young people though, poor people have been screwed as well.

Obviously they werent and/or the people werent as compliant
As we saw in Australia it doesnt take much to keep the virus spreading even with good lock downs and closed borders
You make it sound like all the people in other countries are idiots and us Aussies are all geniuses.
People give Australia and NZ too much credit. It's very hard to compare against other countries, there are so many differences between countries, that it's just not fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back