Player Watch Mark Keane (Retired 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep there’s enough talent here ffs, but we all really want Keane to succeed and I think he can.
I think you are right he can succeed and what is best about him he has a bit of mongrel in him and you need that to be successful,I do remember in one of his 1st training sessions he got in a dust up with Tuohill I think and you knew he had the ticker if he had the ability and I think he does.

Last edited:

Never really seen the hype in this lad. I’ll watch him closely tonight hopefully he plays well. The ball will be in his area a lot so should get a chance to showcase what he can do

Never really seen the hype in this lad. I’ll watch him closely tonight hopefully he plays well. The ball will be in his area a lot so should get a chance to showcase what he can do

I’ve barely seen him at all and I’ve certainly never seen hype. In fact the opposite. He’s been widely and unfairly judged off the single game he has played.

I do know that Irish players tend to end up in AFL backlines. Presumably because of their Gaelic backgrounds maybe they zone and cover space well.

I'm not really sure about Moore being forward. Unless his Achilles soreness is genuinely bad to the point we'd rather him control his own running rather than running up and down the ground after a defender...

Just seems Moore is the best match up for Kennedy. Roughead probably Darling and Keane/Howe on Allen/Vardy when forward.

Allen probably won't need to go into the ruck given that they've brought in Vardy as a second ruck. If Nic Nat goes forward I'd put Howe on him.

I think we'll genuinely need the 3 talls (+ Howe) down back.

Rendell says Keane and Kelly are 2 of the best young key defenders in the League.
Look forward to Keane getting a good stint in seniors
If Moore goes forward does Roughy take Kennedy, Howe on Darling, Keane on O Allen with Madgen on Wsterman/Vardy

Madge coming off a career best game on his 1st outing on the wing and you can justify moving him back into the defence?

Not sure it'll happen but if Moore moves forward then anything is possible.

Have you seen any of his VFL games?

I’ve barely seen him at all and I’ve certainly never seen hype. In fact the opposite. He’s been widely and unfairly judged off the single game he has played.

I do know that Irish players tend to end up in AFL backlines. Presumably because of their Gaelic backgrounds maybe they zone and cover space well.

Had some really promising performances at VFL level in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Madge coming off a career best game on his 1st outing on the wing and you can justify moving him back into the defence?

Was Madge really that good last week? His opponent Haynes certainly was. The giants were happy for Madge to rack up the touches. They knew what would happen next

Was Madge really that good last week? His opponent Haynes certainly was. The giants were happy for Madge to rack up the touches. They knew what would happen next

It was a deliberate tactic that was perfectly executed by GWS. Their coaching box outmanoeuvred our coaching box once again....

When you’re running around on the wing with a sub 60% DE, a move back to defence is entirely justified. His kicking and decision making is worse than Tom Phillips. It’s difficult to believe you’d be happy to keep him there.

When you’re running around on the wing with a sub 60% DE, a move back to defence is entirely justified. His kicking and decision making is worse than Tom Phillips. It’s difficult to believe you’d be happy to keep him there.

LOL, how deliciously ironic. Phillips has managed <60% in 13 of his 93 games (about 14% of games). Only 1 of those has occurred this year. A further 31 games where his DE% has been >60% but <70% (another 33-34%). That's just under 50% of games where he was at <70%. I was continually shouted down by many for being critical of it, many told me he was a gun. You were among the chief shouters. Now in Madge's 1st game in the role you're happy to change tack by about 180 degrees. I was also happy to keep Phillips on the wing if you recall, and he'd been given a lot more rope, so it's hardly surprising that I'm prepared to cut Madge some slack.

LOL, how deliciously ironic. Phillips has managed <60% in 13 of his 93 games (about 14% of games). Only 1 of those has occurred this year. A further 31 games where his DE% has been >60% but <70% (another 33-34%). That's just under 50% of games where he was at <70%. I was continually shouted down by many for being critical of it, many told me he was a gun. You were among the chief shouters. Now in Madge's 1st game in the role you're happy to change tack by about 180 degrees. I was also happy to keep Phillips on the wing if you recall, and he'd been given a lot more rope, so it's hardly surprising that I'm prepared to cut Madge some slack.
I think you’re confusing me for someone else, because I’m pretty sure I’ve never argued with you about Phillips’ poor kicking, let alone been one of the ‘chief shouters’. I always had my heart in my mouth when he put the ball on his boot, outside a short period of 2018.

It’s cool though, just keep up the unwarranted condescension. I’m not basing my judgement on Madge on one game btw, his decision making and disposal has been really poor all year. It’s hard to see it suddenly improving at this point.

Still keen.

Nasty business trying to earn your stripes as a key defender, especially without Darcy Moore and Jeremy Howe alongside you in a West Coast offence.

It took time for Madgen to win our hearts...let's be patient with the awkward looking Irish fellow.

I’m not seeing the tools. With Howe out now he’ll probably get an extended run, so hopefully he develops rapidly.

Also looking forward to Wilson getting a look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back