Player Watch Mark Keane (Retired 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you go out of your way to be contrary?

Nothing about Keane’s game was “fine” tonight. That said, it was a Hail Mary selection by Bucks to try and buy some flexibility. Would like to see Keane against a side that doesn’t have talls as lethal as Allen, Darling and Kennedy because the kid definitely has attributes but looks like he’s a big time confidence player and throwing him to the wolves doesn’t do a lot for that
So Allen kicked a few, he showed signs. Everyone wants to ******* kick the bloke and it’s s**t he is a 20 year old who had a decent enough game

The point is Kappa was going on about moving Moore back and the facts are in the home and away last year he got 7 kicked on him and tonight his only contest down back he conceded a goal

At some point you have to give credit to the opposition

I thought he has improved and his kicking has definitely improved. Unfortunately, CFC's midfield let him and the other defenders down in the second quarter.​
Hit a pearler pass in the fourth I think, and generally looked pretty sound in the first too before he started getting isolated and fumbling everything airborne.

Definite attributes but it was a harsh game for him to be selected in, although I do understand our cupboard is entirely bare for alternatives (and with Howe going down thank god he was there).

Wouldn’t have minded seeing him tried as a defensive forward on McGovern and to have shifted Moore back once Howe went down but Darcy ended up paying his own way. Hope Mark gets more opportunities to develop but it will probably be at the expense of giving ourselves the absolute best chance of a win week to week. We need to know what these kids can do though.

So Allen kicked a few, he showed signs. Everyone wants to ******* kick the bloke and it’s sh*t he is a 20 year old who had a decent enough game

The point is Kappa was going on about moving Moore back and the facts are in the home and away last year he got 7 kicked on him and tonight his only contest down back he conceded a goal

At some point you have to give credit to the opposition
I absolutely did give credit to the opposition - I explicitly said with the weapons West Coast have in their key forward stocks it was always shaping as a torrid night for Mark.

Despite that though, he wasn’t up to the standard, and that was clear. He was lined up on Darling when he kicked all four of those goals back to back in the second (I was sitting down that end so had a very clear view of our defensive matchups in the second and fourth). Both he and IQ will be better for the run but both made some really basic mistakes defensively.

He’s very all over the shop. Some good, some very bad. Been thrown in the deep end twice though. Would like to see him get a block of games, but could likely be suspended
I think he will be ok re suspension. Definitely needs to stay in the side, along with Cameron. Persist with Moore forward, this is the future.

I think he will be ok re suspension. Definitely needs to stay in the side, along with Cameron. Persist with Moore forward, this is the future.

I haven’t looked at the footage since the game, you could be right. Hope so!
I’d like him and Kelly to be given goes down back. Think it is where Kelly belongs, and Moore was really strong up forward.

I absolutely did give credit to the opposition - I explicitly said with the weapons West Coast have in their key forward stocks it was always shaping as a torrid night for Mark.

Despite that though, he wasn’t up to the standard, and that was clear. He was lined up on Darling when he kicked all four of those goals back to back in the second (I was sitting down that end so had a very clear view of our defensive matchups in the second and fourth). Both he and IQ will be better for the run but both made some really basic mistakes defensively.
He is not going to improve without playing. Saying putting Moore back is the answer is just not right. As been proven the last time. He was beaten by a good player a few of the contests were fine. The high free he was just beaten for strength but that happens when you are 20

He is not going to improve without playing. Saying putting Moore back is the answer is just not right. As been proven the last time. He was beaten by a good player a few of the contests were fine. The high free he was just beaten for strength but that happens when you are 20
I’d love to review “last time”, my recollection was that it was Roughead who got torched by Kennedy, nonwithstanding that wasn’t even the last time we played them.

I genuinely don’t think for stages of that game Keane was competitive which is the baseline for achieving any kind of developmental benefit. That said, I do think we need to persist with guys like him and others at similar points of their career because a number of blokes have not had enough exposure to make a fair assessment on.

Started horrendously but settled in and got a little better.
I just have the feeling that he’s one of those players that will learn enormously from that outing and keep on improving.

I have a good gut feeling about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The West Coast forwards have gotten hold of all our defenders in recent years and even our AA Moore has had bags of 4 kicked against him this season.

Honestly it was his second game and up against the best trio of tall forwards in the game. What did people expect? Hell what did the coach expect?

If he doesn't get suspended for that incident with Kennedy then I'd give him a block of games and see what he can provide.

He’s not good. Yet. But it’s not like we really need to care about winning compared to development so we might as well persist until we have a larger body of work to judge him by.

Do you go out of your way to be contrary?

Nothing about Keane’s game was “fine” tonight. That said, it was a Hail Mary selection by Bucks to try and buy some flexibility. Would like to see Keane against a side that doesn’t have talls as lethal as Allen, Darling and Kennedy because the kid definitely has attributes but looks like he’s a big time confidence player and throwing him to the wolves doesn’t do a lot for that
Both his games been thrown to wolves poor bastard

Both his games been thrown to wolves poor bastard
It’s like Bucks wants me to have a miserable time at the footy :p

In both instances I didn’t mind the selection but in the first instance he needed more support (we went in with absolutely no contingency for if he struggled) and second time around we lost the support mid-game which probably necessitated some kind of adjustment.

I do think he’s worth persisting with though.

Last edited:
Not the best match up for him. Darling is a beast. Seems more a Howe type(3rd tall def) rather than key defender. Looks like he moves well and uses it well. Need to give him more games to see what he has.

Agree also to try kelly down back and play Moore forward. IMO gun forwards are harder to find than gun defenders and I think Moore is by far our most talented forward.

It’s like Bucks wants me to have a miserable time at the footy :p

In both instances I didn’t mind the selection but in the first instance he needed more support (we went in with absolutely no contingency for it he struggled) and second time around we lost the support mid-game which probably necessitated some kind of adjustment.

I do think he’s worth persisting with though.
Agree

Seriously just play him the rest of the year who cares the seasons is in tatters might aswell put a block of games together and see if hes worth keeping around

He can play the rest of the year but it can be in the VFL.

I reckon he had 7/8 kicked on him last night because he was part on Darling and part Allen.

Taberner kicked 4 on him in his other game.

That’s 12 in 2 games, clearly not ready.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back