Autopsy Autopsy vs Geelong - Round 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Positives:
This board coming around on a few players - Scott and Hayden are not up to it, they have areas of good work but they need time in the VFL. They aren't first years either.
-Mahony is useless, is obviously useless, and we have stopped the barrage of "but he did 2 nice handballs, and he's young"

Defence has something to work with

Negatives:
We have at least half a dozen guys who don't impact enough at senior level and need to develop (Lazzaro, Phillips, Hayden, Scott) or play out their days (Mahony, Walker, Campbell) in the 2s.

Josh Walker

Aaron Hall injured - but to be honest he's only a "for a month" player max so...

Poor depth meaning we can't really bring in much to replace the 7 who just aren't up to it right now

Potting some of our younger players is considered a POSITIVE for you? * me...

And I'm saying a punishment is not required, no if, because you're still a) allowed to smother the ball and b) it's a contact sport.

The AFL has never said anything to the contrary. Duncan did not choose to bump, he did not choose to make contact - that's the key difference.

Of course if you choose to make contact when you had another option and you hit the head it'll be reviewed.
This was more two players in play and neither intended to make contact.
And I'm saying there should be. We don't agree, but I can live with that.

Finally checked the individual stats and once again just far too many players not getting enough of the ball.

Laz 5 disposal from 66% TOG
Scott 6 from 77 is particularly awful
Phillips 7 from 71
Hayden 7 from 76
Turner 8 from 82 (made Sookwood disappear though)
Mahony 8 from 79
TT 11 from 77
Too much was left to way too few today. Half or more of those guys shouldn't be playing if we've got Corr, Tarrant, McDonald, Polec, Dumont and Anderson fit. Getting games into kids is good and all but I'd like to see us get in a position to win a game. While we're working with new coaches and new blokes like Young, Stephenson and Corr we need as many other guys who have played together already out there as possible.

I'd want about five guys max from Scott, Thomas, Taylor, Lazzaro, Phillips, Powell, Mahony, Bosenavulagi and Hayden playing each week. Ideally we'd be cycling these kids throughout the year. Someone like Charlie Lazzaro, as promising as he looks, shouldn't be playing five games in a row in a side that is trying to settle. Obviously we have to make do with injury but we'll need to bring in Garner and Tyson next week just to add a bit of structure around the field.

Potting some of our younger players is considered a POSITIVE for you? fu** me...

Yeah instead of blind defence that a bloke who has had 4 shots from goal from 30 in the last 3 weeks for 0.1 is somehow a big part of our future and abusing any poster who dares to say hey maybe he isn't.

Or the s**t the Ziebull gets for saying hey maybe Bailey Scott doesn't have a spot locked up, he butchers the ball and isn't working hard enough.

As we slump to 0-5, a percentage below 50%, and a trip to Perth coming up.

La La la la, all is good, all is well

Positives:
This board coming around on a few players - Scott and Hayden are not up to it, they have areas of good work but they need time in the VFL. They aren't first years either.
-Mahony is useless, is obviously useless, and we have stopped the barrage of "but he did 2 nice handballs, and he's young"

Defence has something to work with

Negatives:
We have at least half a dozen guys who don't impact enough at senior level and need to develop (Lazzaro, Phillips, Hayden, Scott) or play out their days (Mahony, Walker, Campbell) in the 2s.

Josh Walker

Aaron Hall injured - but to be honest he's only a "for a month" player max so...

Poor depth meaning we can't really bring in much to replace the 7 who just aren't up to it right now

Your positives are that other people are now seeing similar negatives to yourself? You must be fun.

Be interesting to see how Robbo's little off sider and Michael Christian will twist Cunningtons push off of Blicavs in that clip above lol. Potential to embarrass a so called footballer, 1 week with an early plea.

Kept Hawkins to one goal.

Goes when he needs to, stands his ground in a contest, doesn't panic, can spoil a lead, strong, can take the heat... should I go on?

The bloke is a nightmare already for big forwards and he is still young.

Edit: I did say he was quickly becoming a potential best we've seen. Never said he is right now. But at the moment, he is on fire.
Lets hope so, that would be great.
Bearing in mind that NMFC already two of the best key backs to EVER play, they being Dench and Glendinning.

At the end of the day, we might have turned his back but that was likely because he was scared he'd wear a falcon. He cannoned into him, which was his intent, that he wasn't facing him is irrelevant.

Is there any other reason he's be running flat out backwards when the ball is behind him?

Huh?

Mate.

Come on.

You think he jumped, turned midair with his arms outstretched as the ball sailed past him (all part of his elaborate plan to only pretend to smother the ball), to deliberately use the back of his upper arm as a well placed whack to the head?

Seriously.

He obviously read the play of the Turner handball, charged in to smother, and yes turned to avoid the falcon probably but there is no way he conceivably aimed to do what he did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Powell, Phillips, Lazarro, Boner, Thomas, Taylor, Larkey, McKay, Scott, Young, Bosenavulagi, Mahony and Hayden have all played under 35 games, have all spent only one, two or three years in the AFL system (McKay four) and most have played under their second or third AFL in 18 months, so there will be a little disconnect as they learn another game plan. And while another loss is disappointing, again we showed glimpses of what will be the future of the NMFC in years to come, and when our younger players have an extra year or two in a stabile system and can better implement the game plan, we will be an exciting to team to watch.

In the meantime, there will be mistakes, some costly and embarrassing, it would be nice if people showed a little bit of patience and compassion towards the youngsters instead of calling for their heads.
You talk so much common sense👍

In real time - looked more of a collision, umps don't have the benefit of multiple replays at slow mo, AND the ump was probably eyes elsewhere (watching the ball to see if it was a goal to call all clear if necessary).
People want to throw out whinges about bias but pretty easy one to miss I'd think. A free missed that was there yes, was it an easily obvious one, no, not if you were in the umps spot.

Maybe, I would ask why he would be launching himself in the air at speed when the ball is behind his line of sight? Escaping killer bees perhaps?

Too much was left to way too few today. Half or more of those guys shouldn't be playing if we've got Corr, Tarrant, McDonald, Polec, Dumont and Anderson fit. Getting games into kids is good and all but I'd like to see us get in a position to win a game. While we're working with new coaches and new blokes like Young, Stephenson and Corr we need as many other guys who have played together already out there as possible.

I'd want about five guys max from Scott, Thomas, Taylor, Lazzaro, Phillips, Powell, Mahony, Bosenavulagi and Hayden playing each week. Ideally we'd be cycling these kids throughout the year. Someone like Charlie Lazzaro, as promising as he looks, shouldn't be playing five games in a row in a side that is trying to settle. Obviously we have to make do with injury but we'll need to bring in Garner and Tyson next week just to add a bit of structure around the field.

It's a pretty big issue and I think it's feeding into why we have been abysmal at capitalising on having a hit out advantage; our clearance numbers are drek. If the wings and flankers aren't able to impact the contest enough this is what happens.

Sadly, like you pointed out with our injuries, there's just bugger all we can directly do about it right now.

Goes when he needs to, stands his ground in a contest, doesn't panic, can spoil a lead, strong, can take the heat... should I go on?

Edit: I did say he was quickly becoming a potential best we've seen. Never said he is right now. But at the moment, he is on fire.
Totally agree

How many games have we sat through this past decade to have a Monster Forward cause grief?

Don’t see the point of putting any more games into Walker, Young, Turner, Mahony (this year), Campbell and Hall.

Harsh on Young. Very versatile and is a competitor. Disposal issues last 2 weeks but before that was very handy. Played maybe a dozen games career?

And we need to throw the kitchen sink at him asap.. lol

If you think McKay and JZ have the same roles then you really a SCN
So now it is about roles? Isn’t JZ‘s role to take kick outs, link up and give drive from the back half? Because you seem to be using it as a criticism. The coach called him out in a positive way which suggests he is playing his role. Or is the coach also a SCN?

Another step forward today. Four quarters, stuck with them, and created some really nice link up play out of the backline and along the ground. Also played that dumb stadium better than usual.

Part of me wishes I could see how we’d go without all the injuries, but part of me also knows a more experienced team might just make different mistakes, and play with less fearless energy. Like how it was rotten how Hall got hurt and missed so much of the game, but Curtis was handy when he came in. I think I really just want to see these players with more experience.

Cunnington, Goldy were great, and Jack was strong. Apart from a couple of errors I really liked Young’s game, and thought Bonar and Atu were both good down back too, supporting another terrific game from McKay. Jy was very good, Powell good again. Larkey worked pretty hard, but had too much to do against two good defenders most of the game, and Stephenson was good again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back