Review Geelong defeats North by 30 points. Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Not wrong on Stanley. Abysmal and we have Naitanui next week :drunk:

Ablett's ball use and Taylor's positioning and leadership sorely missed.

Might have to watch the replay (torturous) as the conventional wisdom was the Kolo was crap. Thought Henderson was very good and Blicavs and Kolo were decent.
Thought Kolo did all right. seemed to be out of defensive half a lot. Had some a clanger or two, but also some very nice kicks as well.

Well that was dismal. In further bad news, game in the Central Highlands League had to be called off today as Daylesford captain and former cats player Josh Cowan broke his leg, and the ambulance took an hour and a half to get to the ground.

The footy gods hate that bloke don't they

Maybe he thought he was still at Geelong and was guarding space on the outer side.

Ziebell with 38 touches, 33 kicks and 946 metres gained playing off half-back. Our 'defensive' forwards are literally useless when you're getting torched this badly.

yep, outrageously bad, and it’s ziebell as well, the blokes washed up, and we allow him to just rack up possessions without any accountability whatsoever.

Been on about it on here for years: skill.

Ppl knocking Danger for his kicking. How many years has he been at Geelong, and no-one has mentioned it to him?!! And its not like he is Robinson Crusoe there either.

I remember a jokey quip Bomber Thompson made when he was coaching Essendon and we smashed them, about Bartel and Enright's play "I shouldn't have trained them up so well!"

Nobody could accuse Geelong of being "trained up" atm. And no, I'm not talking about natural talent. I'm talking about skills that come with good training over the years. So don't tell me, "We don't have the cattle." Thats bs.

It's valid to point out he's not the best kick - BUT - he is far, far from alone. He's more of an erratic kick than a poor one to me. There are worse than him.

But you're spot on, to me not nearly enough focus seems to be on the pure football basics. Number one being kicking.

Duncan would be ideal for that role - good by foot, good footy brain and not a slouch

Dunc would be my choice too. We have enough wingers, so him at half back would add that assuredness that other teams get with ball users like Daniel and Short for their sides.

With that said, I reckon Stewart fulfills that role a fair bit, so perhaps they think it's not as important given how much drive we already get off back from him - not to mention elite intercept marking ability and fantastic foot skills to boot.

We'd be screwed without him down there lol

Some of the great ever games have been against North.
That one with Lynch and Mensch where we came back 3 or 4 times.
That game where McGrath tackled Crocker and his bald head went into the ground.
That was one if the best games ever.
In seem to remember Buddha Hocking ALWAYS playing his best footy against NM. NM supporters hated him; bit like Ablett snr v Tigers.

Dont care about margin. Quote me both teams no of scoring shots. That equalises for poor conversion which is no fault of norths and doesn’t reflect the actual dominance we had in the game.

I would estimate around 5 goals dominance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting synopsis that
Benny said the most telling thing about the match was watching what was happening where the ball wasn't rather than where the play actually was

Repeatedly a case of us trying to create from the backline, then basically hitting a wall which meant slowing down play, looking sideways and also increasing our handball use as we tried to find a way through

Today we had 229 kicks, 212 handballs which is our highest handball count this year and having gone through our matches from the last couple of seasons, we haven't had over 200 handballs in a match across 2019 or 2020

Hopefully we don't have to watch any more matches play out as today did as it's really not one for the highlights

Changed next weeks tip to West Coast...

Somebody convince me to change it back.

They are like Geelong mate - downhill skiers and not much chop

The Saints stood them up 33 pts start in the 3rd qtr and then beat them by 4 goals - and the Saints are no good whatsoever - as in Rich flogging them by 15 goals - that dont make the Eagles form flash at all

Geel and West Coast are both fancied in this years - year end markets - i wouldnt back either them at 100-1 re the pointy end of the season - even if they get their

Is it any surprise, considering he isn’t one. Why draft a solid kpd and make him play forward?
It’s like this club just thinks they can make players play wherever they feel like, rather than what they are best it. It’s insane.
And, we are likely to need a Kpd in the not too distant future. Let’s just take some wind out of his sails and throw him under the bus in the forward line..

People saying "X Tall was good in the 2's today" seem to be ignoring the fact North had no talls playing.
What would you like people to go off? GDFL results?
You can only beat who your up against

I thought Stanley was one of our best after quarter time. Surprised he is copping some grief. Remains a key player.

Parfitt and Stewart outstanding. Henderson good. Duncan ok.

Grim performance overall.
Had 7 hit outs as a key ruckman
That’s not good enough, possessions were good though

I'd go

Outs: Stanley, SDK & Dahlhaus, all omitted
Ins: Fort, Cameron & Clark

It was good to see SDK debut and he did some nice things - the kick to Hawkins, the strong mark up forward, but also looked like he was being asked to play a role he hasn't played to much and wasn't really to his strengths

The MC may well keep Dahlhaus, as today wasn't his worse match this season but not sure he's bringing enough consistency especially as we're now getting back other players. I'd be tempted to shift Tuohy forward, we know that he knows how to kick goals and has a decent kick and that would then open up the opportunity to play Clark in the defensive half to help provide run
I don't mind that at all.... I want to see Clark play of the Back line, as his run and carry is great when playing of the back line...
Another 2 questions....
Who plays 2nd ruck? And what if Shark is fit?

I reckon a lot have got this autopsy wrong. This was a failure in execution, not planning or intent. We had enough of the ball in the right places to win by 10 goals but just failed too often to hit a target inside 50 or with the shots at goal.

Onwards to next week and we add JC to the puzzle.
A win by 3 goals and 12 behinds definitely implies that we had an abysmal forward conversion and poor execution in f50 but I think the ease with which our entries were negated and rebounded was a concern. Sure it looks better with Cameron so we score more from those entries but the one we don't are coming back at us at speed.

I worry tremendously about our backline. We've gotten away with not investing draft/trade capital there because the slow ball movement that protected it has worked to now. If we don't find a way to keep the heat off them I think we could be cooked.

Esava did some amazing things today, admittedly against questionable opposition. He'll be back in the seniors when he is judged to be fit. In the interim Stanley was quite good today; he's never going to be Gawn or Grundy but he's a handy player. I never quite get the criticism he receives. But then some folks here bagged AA Guthrie for years. Also Menegola, two excellent footballers.

Stewart is in AA form.

Cameron in for Rohan and anyone for Dalhouse.

False equivalence is a logical fallacy in which an equivalence is drawn between two subjects based on flawed or false reasoning.
How is it a false equivalence to say every other team has beaten North Melbourne be more than us and Gold Coast beat them by 10 goals. It’s a fact.

I have compared our performance against North Melbourne against everyone else’s performance against North Melbourne, there is no false equivalence.

1618746717902.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back