Preview Geelong vs WCE - Sat April 24, GMHBA Stadium @1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A grumpy Scott... probably a good indicator of an aggressive effort. He is probably at his best when he adamant, opinionated and putting the insignificant others down.

Good chance after denouncing all for criticising our slow ball movement ..we will come out and be agressive and move the ball with intent.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...l/news-story/9e509b5fb274829da0b069149afe43cf

A bristly Scott said Geelong’s problems in the opening five rounds were mostly because of execution and not system when asked if Cameron’s inclusion alongside Tom Hawkins would allow for more dare in their ball movement.

Scott was defensive when quizzed on their ball movement in his weekly press conference on Thursday.

“Anyone that’s spent enough time watching us play over the last few years should have an understanding of how we move the ball when we’re at our best,” he said.

“I don’t think anyone would describe it as super-fast football and the clear measure there is mark-play on percentage. We’ve consistently been down the bottom of that.

“Does that mean playing slow is our preference? Of course it doesn’t. All the parts of our game style need to work together.

“If we couldn’t score over a period of time playing the way that we were playing, we would change it but we’ve been top four in attack for, whatever it is, three, four, five years.

People continue to pot him for being stubborn and supposedly having no idea. He would rightly respond by noting that the numbers aren't half as damning of his methods over time as his detractors would seek to suggest.

This year will be very instructive, though, as the 'stand' rule looks likely to be the most profound change to how the game is played for quite some time. Our attacking numbers certainly don't stack up well across the competition over these opening weeks. Although I'm not sure you would find that was greatly different in our opening to 2020, either.

In the end, it's not like the coach has ever been greatly different to his current persona in this respect. He's never been one to suffer those he considers to be fools gladly.

And, for those who can't abide him around here, the feeling is clearly entirely mutual.

I heard that Chris Scott has suggested that the team will be released to play on instinct against WCE
If correct, this should be very interesting to see how the players respond.
A more free flowing attacking game would indicate the team was hampered by over-coaching.
Also: after 11 years at the job his message has become stale and a fresh approach / voice is required.
Alternately if nothing changes it would indicate all creativity has been coach out of the players.
Showing the players are comfortable rather than working hard to improve themselves.
Thus if you believe current game plan needs to change, then players must be pushed to change and a new coach is required.

At least we will get to see the attacking players and those that naturally hold up play.

I predict not much will change... what's your prediction?

A grumpy Scott... probably a good indicator of an aggressive effort. He is probably at his best when he adamant, opinionated and putting the insignificant others down.

Good chance after denouncing all for criticising our slow ball movement ..we will come out and be agressive and move the ball with intent.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...l/news-story/9e509b5fb274829da0b069149afe43cf

A bristly Scott said Geelong’s problems in the opening five rounds were mostly because of execution and not system when asked if Cameron’s inclusion alongside Tom Hawkins would allow for more dare in their ball movement.

Scott was defensive when quizzed on their ball movement in his weekly press conference on Thursday.

“Anyone that’s spent enough time watching us play over the last few years should have an understanding of how we move the ball when we’re at our best,” he said.

“I don’t think anyone would describe it as super-fast football and the clear measure there is mark-play on percentage. We’ve consistently been down the bottom of that.

“Does that mean playing slow is our preference? Of course it doesn’t. All the parts of our game style need to work together.

“If we couldn’t score over a period of time playing the way that we were playing, we would change it but we’ve been top four in attack for, whatever it is, three, four, five years.
I like grumpy Scott, * the media whores

Hawkins contributes to the forward problem by not presenting enough. He needs to demand the ball by leading up the corridor more; he is leading in to the pockets too often. As others have noted in this forum, Hawkins is not a great pack mark; it's counter-intuitive I know.

Mention of Stevie J makes me weep: he could get a kick more or less when he felt like it and he was imaginative and creative; he would kick inward to the corridor to find someone. Nowadays we just dribble it around the flanks; you don't get too many goals from boundary throw-ins at half-forward or in the pocket.
You lost me at “Hawkins contributes to the forward problem”.

Dimmer said it exactly (how the cat's like too play) in that amazon doco of the gf last yr, in the tigers mid week meeting with the team. I tried uploading the video clip on here, but it wouldn't upload for some reason or not.

I heard that Chris Scott has suggested that the team will be released to play on instinct against WCE
A more free flowing attacking game would indicate the team was hampered by over-coaching.
Also: after 11 years at the job his message has become stale and a fresh approach / voice is required.
Alternately if nothing changes it would indicate all creativity has been coach out of the players.
Showing the players are comfortable rather than working hard to improve themselves.
Thus if you believe current game plan needs to change, then players must be pushed to change and a new coach is required.

At least we will get to see the attacking players and those that naturally hold up play.

Has his message become stale? Who says?

I think you're drawing a very long bow there. I don't think he's had a backline that would cope with fast rebounding footy since 2017 and I would argue we still probably don't. Feels like we've been playing this slow careful game plan forever but it's actually
been basically 3 years. We certainly weren't playing kick to kick defensive when first recruited Dangerfield.

It's just horses for courses and we have the opportunity to change course now with a decent forward line, so we're changing course

Heard an interview on the radio a short while ago with Mathew Knights - re with Langdon and Hasselby

Actually it was hardly worth listening to - he sounded like a real Scott crony actually

Re Dangerfield - no time limit put on it - everyone recuperates differently - thats fair enough

Re Cameron - he got through todays training - and at this stage we expect him to play - no guilt edge guarntee how he said that

Parfitt - they are trying to add outside run to his game - pleased with his effort last week in that aspect - and that was about it .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard an interview on the radio a short while ago with Mathew Knights - re with Langdon and Hasselby

Actually it was hardly worth listening to - he sounded like a real Scott crony actually

Re Dangerfield - no time limit put on it - everyone recuperates differently - thats fair enough

Re Cameron - he got through todays training - and at this stage we expect him to play - no guilt edge guarntee how he said that

Parfitt - they are trying to add outside run to his game - pleased with his effort last week in that aspect - and that was about it .

The ambiguity around Cameron is interesting.

Hawkins contributes to the forward problem by not presenting enough. He needs to demand the ball by leading up the corridor more; he is leading in to the pockets too often. As others have noted in this forum, Hawkins is not a great pack mark; it's counter-intuitive I know.

Mention of Stevie J makes me weep: he could get a kick more or less when he felt like it and he was imaginative and creative; he would kick inward to the corridor to find someone. Nowadays we just dribble it around the flanks; you don't get too many goals from boundary throw-ins at half-forward or in the pocket.
Yes Tommy does lead to the boundary too much. Usually it’s because the corridor in the F50 is clogged up because of our snail ball movement. Hopefully Cameron demands quicker entry into forward half.

That's a huge out for the Eagles - he didn't hit the scoreboard last week but he took the best defender and left Allen and Darling to feast off the remainder.
He's a smart player too - often he'd vacate the area to avoid overcrowding.
Yes big out for them. No Ryan too! They’re looking a bit thin. Can’t win this then we are in strife... eagles at home without yeo, shuey, Kennedy and Ryan. I’ll take that!

Said he wasn’t aware of the criticism as he doesn’t take notice. Then mentioned big forwards wanting the same game to be played like 2003. Having a crack at Jonathan brown? Brownie criticised the cats as clunky recently.

Said he wasn’t aware of the criticism as he doesn’t take notice. Then mentioned big forwards wanting the same game to be played like 2003. Having a crack at Jonathan brown? Brownie criticised the cats as clunky recently.
It's not just brown though, media landscape favours let forwards and all of them want a return to glory days

2x Premiership team mates ... not 2003 though, Brown got a medal and Scott didn't play.

As good as Hawkins has been - he can be frustrating - continually playing from behind - a tad lazy perhaps at times - even in the 1st qtr and a half - he kept playing from behind Steven May and was outmarked

Where as Cameron apart from being vey talented - he is an energetic player - who makes multiple leads continuously all throughout the game - that will be just so pleasing to see in a Geel forward line
It’s not lazy at all. I suspect you have the TV view.

Hawkins has regularly had his opponent cooked either in front or behind and the kick in has been poor. Saw it a number of times with Danger, Smith and Close kicking it to the disadvantaged side against North. There’s a lack of connection with the mids but it’s not Hawkins’ fault or laziness.

Hard to argue with him although I’m sure some will.

I don't like the TV influencers trying to suggest that our game plan is sub par either. Good on him. There are very obvious reasons we don't play free flowing football all the time and I get sick of this ADHD generation demanding an aesthetically pleasing style. I'd rather control a game than make a few part time viewers happy with Harlem Globetrotters low percentage football.

it clearly works and the shift from the norm in the season opener clearly didn’t work for us at all.

CC: Kram (before you run your mouth again).

Hard to argue with him although I’m sure some will.

sometimes I think CS is a bit like the guy in Oliver... MORE? I give you wins..and you want more?

I think he will be hard pressed to get his porridge footy to the top 4 this year ... its seems like there is at least 4 sides ahead of us. The next 4 games is critical. So we will see against WCoast if we are back on track. Another ordinary win or something with a bit more pepper and salt in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back