Will Collingwood try to move Grundy on with that contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see Collingwood being able to trade their way in to picks and out of the cap drama. I'd imagine the cap drama starts to resolve itself naturally now they've done the heavy lifting over the next year or so with a few veterans going and others coming out of big contracts in to more team friendly veteran deals.

Otherwise they had 5 picks in the top 31 for a reason last year and will add Nick Daicos later this year, they don't need to desperately hunt draft picks.
They'll have Daicos and nothing else. If they are in fact rebuilding then of course they're going to need more picks, although it's unlikely to be this year.

If Collingwood were really bold, they should target North's #1 pick. They could use that before any bid on Daicos.

Pay half his salary and the Cats would take him
If we had a ruckman of his quality in the past decade there’s no doubt we’d have won a flag somewhere but I think it’s too late now. We’d love Grundy but he needs to go somewhere where he can play finals for the next 5 years ie Port Adelaide.

No - but they should also never have signed him to it.

He's great. He takes away the need for a bull mid to an extent, he doesn't lose contests easily, he runs all over the ground.

But his influence on a game just isn't a mil. Collingwood shouldn't have been in a position to lose the game against Brisbane with his advantage in the ruck and on the stats sheet - can you imagine if the Dogs lost to North in the game Bruce kicked 10, despite him having that influence? Grundys hitout wins should be the equivalent of a KF kicking 10 to earn a mil a year, I can't remember the last time one did and his team lost to be honest - it just shouldn't happen.

I don't think any team takes him to be honest for the full salary. And the Pies wouldn't surely pay some of his salary on top of Treloars.

Better off seeing if they can clear cap space in the next rung down. Cox, WHE, Thomas - the senior guys who haven't really cemented a spot in the best 22. Sure they don't have much pull at the trade table, but a couple of extra picks plus clearing space ready for a FA/trade assault is valuable in a rebuild. You can take unders for the likes of WHE too, but you wouldn't take unders for Grundy.

Should move on one of Grundy or JDG.

Whichever they get the best offer for.

They need early draft picks.
Won't early picks be eaten up by the Daicos bid? It is part of the reason why they were so keen to get as many picks in last seasons draft.

They'll have Daicos and nothing else. If they are in fact rebuilding then of course they're going to need more picks, although it's unlikely to be this year.

If Collingwood were really bold, they should target North's #1 pick. They could use that before any bid on Daicos.
They owe their first pick to GWS. They have the Bulldogs 2nd rounder and Crows and Dockers 3rd rounders to help pay for Daicos.

I'm trying to think of what a potential trade with North to get the 1st pick would have to be. Their 2nd rounder, plus a couple of top 30 kids from last years draft (if willing to go), plus maybe Elliott, Crisp and Maynard with maybe a couple of 3rd rounders for points coming back?

They'd really have to load up the mother of all deals.

They owe their first pick to GWS. They have the Bulldogs 2nd rounder and Crows and Dockers 3rd rounders to help pay for Daicos.
Like I said, they'll have Daicos and nothing else this year.

I'm trying to think of what a potential trade with North to get the 1st pick would have to be.
They could package their 2022 first-rounder with 1-2 players. Where's that pick going to land?

Are Collingwood going to bounce back and play finals in 2022? Or is that first-rounder going to be something 5-6?

With their list profile, he is not the biggest problem.

Pendles is 33.

Mayne and Levi Greenwood are 32.

Mason Cox is still waiting for his big game of the year.

Steelebottom has lost a yard and is not as suited to the open game,

Josh Thomas doesn't chase.

Ruscoe is in their best 22, looked lost at times on Anzac day.

Daicos and Moore are good and getting better, they will be needed.

With their list profile, he is not the biggest problem.

Pendles is 33.
He plays until he retires on his own terms.

Mayne and Levi Greenwood are 32.
Surely neither will get an extension.

Mason Cox is still waiting for his big game of the year.
Probably give him another year on not much. But open to offers.

Steelebottom has lost a yard and is not as suited to the open game
Out of contract at the end of 2022. Welcome to stay put but also welcome to look elsewhere.

Josh Thomas doesn't chase.
Out of contract and UFA at the end of 2021. Welcome to stay put but also welcome to look elsewhere.

They could package their 2022 first-rounder with 1-2 players. Where's that pick going to land?

Are Collingwood going to bounce back and play finals in 2022? Or is that first-rounder going to be something 5-6?
I can't think of a single player that North would want from Collingwood enough to trade out from pick #1 for a future first + player.

Darcy Moore probably the only one that would move the needle to be honest. Keeping in mind that future 1st rounders have much less value for the seller due to the risk taken on by the buyer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't think of a single player that North would want from Collingwood enough to trade out from pick #1 for a future first + player.

Darcy Moore probably the only one that would move the needle to be honest. Keeping in mind that future 1st rounders have much less value for the seller due to the risk taken on by the buyer.
Surely that depends where that future first-rounder lands. Granted there is uncertainty but I think Collingwood's approach from here will give a pretty good indication of whether they'll be back playing finals next year.

Like I said, they'll have Daicos and nothing else this year.

By the time they pay for Daicos, it may well be impacted to a degree that pushes it back to the end of the round.
Given the talent he's touted to be, he's looking to be worth a bid at 1.

The timing to replace Goldstein would be nice and he'd be good for 3 or 4 years but then you're jeopardising your cap in the last 2-3 years. Maybe the cap has gone up enough by then that you can wear 800k but North are probably planning to have a bunch of talented youngsters on their 2nd or 3rd contracts by that stage and if all goes to play will be chasing gun recruits too.

I think if you're North you'd want to be able to pay him 1M a year for the next 3 then 500k a year for the last 3 but I don't think the AFL allow that.

The AFL dont get a say on trades.

Front ending is what a lot of clubs do. And would make sense to taper him off.

Hawks could even look end of 2022 when Big Boy is possibly retiring.

But history says premierships are not often won by the team with the best ruck in the comp.

So you can go for a solid ruck on less money and spend the extra on mids and forwards.

Surely that depends where that future first-rounder lands. Granted there is uncertainty but I think Collingwood's approach from here will give a pretty good indication of whether they'll be back playing finals next year.
Yeah but it's impossible to guarantee where that 1st lands so there's still the risk for North that Collingwood improve and that 1st is up around the 10-15 mark, even if they end this season in 17th.

Just look at Adelaide this season, their 2021 first would've been expected to be top 3 this year, but they've turned it around and would be pushing finals.

The other point for this would be that by getting pick #1 Collingwood would secure both the top 2 talents from this year's draft. Teams have to overpay to move ahead of F/S and Academy bids, such as GWS did for Tom Green. It's already been mentioned but the Pies trading their 1st this year is looking like a big mistake, would've been much easier to move up to pick #1 if they had pick #2 to trade.

Unless a miracle happens the AFL decide to give North a priority pick before the draft then have pick 1 as well.
Tell Collingwood you can take North 1st pick take Daicos with Grundy going to North with Collingwood paying 75% of ha salary for the 1st -3 years of tHe contract then North take over the full contract.
But I can see Collingwood going to North and saying GAGF then North can say ok North take Daicos as a priority then Horne at 1.
But the AFL will bend over to the other clubs and say no on the priority pick.

De Goey is the one they should be trading.

He'll be a FA next year and they're not going to want to pay him $4 million over five years to keep him. They should cash him out a year early, probably for future picks.
What about his legal case, what would jack de belins trade value be if league had trading

What happened to Grundy? How did his form drop off so far?

28 isn't that old. Especially for a ruckman. It can't be an age thing surely.

Is he disinterested? Has the fat contract gone to his head? Can't blame him if so.

He's made it. Worked hard, played well, got the cash, and set himself up for the rest of his life.

How did such a professional organisation get their finances so wrong??
They’re not just financially inept, they have a history culture issues, a delusional ex-President, and poor player management such as the handling of Treloar.

Will they move Grundy on? It’ll be interesting to see how the new Prez handles issues such as this.
How did they get in such a mess, need to make sure when audited each year somebody checks the salary cap spreadsheet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back