Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if this turns the player retention blow torch over to a few other clubs with unsigned 1st rounders from 2019. Few interesting names on that list as well.

D.Stephens (Syd), T. Green (GWS), S.Flanders (GCS), W.Day (Haw), C.Weightman (WB), C. Stephens (Geel), B. Kemp (Carl), T.Dow (Rich)
I'm sure Kane will be all over these guys too questioning why they haven't signed yet...

We should be throwing coin at Day

I'd be leaning towards Stephens (Sydney). We do need potentially classy midfielders, and really, Syndey is looking like they'll morph into a pretty scary unit in the near future. Seems rather doable at this point in time.

I wonder if we will target Stephens, it would certainly justify the pick swap if we can bring him back cheaper.
I loved his outside game in his draft year. And TBH i'm quite shocked at how slowly he's come out of the blocks up in Sydney. Only played the 9 games in a team that's been blooding youngsters at an amazing rate.

If he doesn't sign and keeps being left out of the side I feel like he could easily become a potential bargain target. Sholl and Stephens on the wings certainly has a nice ring to it!

I've been sitting on this story for a while but haven't mentioned it because there is probably no way in knowing for sure - but about 4 or 5 years ago I was playing AFL 9s during the summer over here - Our team was pretty trash and we lost more often than we won

There was one team we played where *ing Sav Rocca legit rocked up, it was his first game because when I was standing him he kept asking what the rules were - It was the first time I was glad that the game was non-contact - Obviously he towelled me up, he kicked four or five on me (but in the last quarter we swapped and I was fwd and he was defence and I got one goal on him so i'll take that to the bank and frame it ! ) anyway, I digress

The reason I brought up this game was because there was a kid playing in that team who was BOG by a mile, he would have only been 15 or so and he was just jumping up and intercept marking pretty much anything that went near him. He was skinny and blonde and really tall. One of the other guys on the team said something like 'remember his name, he'll be playing AFL'

I can't remember at all what his name was, but I remember him looking a hell of a lot like Fischer, and he would be around the right age - I guess we could confirm or deny by finding out if he ever played AFL 9s with Sav!

lol he has no actual sources, just likes to pretend he does. I thought that was well known on this board by pretty much everyone?
Where did I say it was ever more than a gut feel on my part with McAsey, and where exactly did I claim I had a source, for starters McAsey is a Vic Metro lad and I certainly don't move in those circles. All ever said was all the smoke signals in Victoria would lead to most people thinking he was gone.....and I had plenty of mates on this board in that regard.

So yes it's a pleasant surprise because he definitely shaped as the best KPD in his draft.

Maybe the Adelaide Crows aren't the s**t show you continue to spout with all the young players putting their autograph on contracts?

Last edited:
I must say I was a little surprised by this announcement, mainly because I thought he'd want to go home to be with his ill father.

It's a nice little win over the cocky Vic media who just expect them to all return to Vic at the earliest opportunity. Wanchors.

+1

Particularly as GWS will likely go very tall with Hogan, Finlayson and Himmelberg (Riccardi out I'm assuming)

I think I read that Finlayson is an out this week. EDIT: it is Haynes that is out this week, sorry.

Still need a second KPD defender though, that was highlighted last week. It removes all flexibility by only playing one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Day has re-signed, and has very strong links at Hawthorn.

Dylan Stephens is the one we should be looking at.
Not saying I think this will happen but can you imagine if we managed to play the PSD card again on Stephens? Pretty sure the AFL would prefer to change the rule before allowing us to exploit it twice in 2 years

I think I read that Finlayson is an out this week. EDIT: it is Haynes that is out this week, sorry.

Still need a second KPD defender though, that was highlighted last week. It removes all flexibility by only playing one.
Haynes out is a nice bonus though, possibly the best interceptor in the game at present and sets up plenty of their scoring opportunities with his attacking game style.

And really, this speaks volumes for us as a Club (no matter how useless most of you think it is). We finished stone motherless last, last year. And these kids are excited about where we are as a group and the development they are getting.

Yep and I think the real key here is his comment about the coaching group. Makes a huge difference I reckon to look at the coaches as a whole and see Nicks, Burns, VB, Rahilly etc - then you’d look at other clubs eg Carlton and realise they don’t have the same quality

Wonder if this turns the player retention blow torch over to a few other clubs with unsigned 1st rounders from 2019. Few interesting names on that list as well.

D.Stephens (Syd), T. Green (GWS), S.Flanders (GCS), W.Day (Haw), C.Weightman (WB), C. Stephens (Geel), B. Kemp (Carl), T.Dow (Rich)
Day would be nice, as would Stephens.

Back