Preview Changes Rd 8 vs Port Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you trying to tell me that he wouldn't lose a foot race with a tortoise?

OK... I'm exaggerating slightly. Seriously though, his lack of speed/agility/mobility is constantly exposed at AFL level. That's why he's never had more than 12 disposals in 27 AFL games, and has failed to reach double digits in 20 of his 27 games. He just can't get near it, because he's too heavy, which makes him too slow & immobile.

Patty McCartin had pretty much the same issue prior to his concussions.

We have tried Jones forward and they are not going to change his role again after moving him to HB 2 weeks ago... We need to settle the lad down in a position

Murray not a permanent forward for me, it's time we just play our most talented players in the key forward positions, that is Tex, RT and Fog, with Himmelberg adding selection pressure

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He might be a shot for the small defender position as he has a good accurate kick on him and in that role he can use his speed to shut down his man and 10-15 quality possessions in that role may be all that is needed.

So, everyone is saying that Fogarty should be given 5 games to prove himself (after Frampton was given 5), but now they all want Himmelberg dropped after only 2 games?

Never change BigFooty, never change.
Fogarty has talent and can kick straight. Himmelberg is dogshit. There's your difference.

Last edited:
1) So, everyone is saying that Fogarty should be given 5 games to prove himself (after Frampton was given 5),
2) but now they all want Himmelberg dropped after only 2 games?
Funny thing, the word "everyone" --- it means "every person". Only one exception is enough to make it incorrect :sneaky:.
1) I did not say Fog should be given 5 games as Frampton was. I suspect there were other posters. Nor did I object when Fog was dropped.
2) I would like to see Himmelberg dropped, yes, after only 2 games (but he probably won't be). He has added nothing to the side. In fact, he played like Frampton ie badly. 2 games is enough to see that.

In general, I want to see badly underperforming players dropped and untried players at least tried in the their place, but without any promises of a "block" of any number of games. 2 or 3 is enough to see if the newbie will make it, at least short-term. Thilthorpe's gonna make it, even if his 2 games are worlds apart.

People get hot under the collar about Ins and Outs without realising it doesn't matter, since it's only a bunch of opinions which have no effect upon who plays or not. Fwiw, I'm concerned about Jones and would like to see him succeed; not sure that Fog will make it. I'd like to have seen more changes than have been made and I really hope Rowe and McAdam are outs this week. Also hope Worrell is given a go and they find someone to bolster the midfield. It'd be great to get Sloane back, but he won't be match-fit and PA will be very
VERY
keen to crush us after Brisbane towelled them up :grimacing: . Judging by Hinkley's frenzied response after they broke the sequence of losses to Pyke's boys, it means soooo much to him/them.

Himmelberg has shown 10x as much in his 20 games than Fogarty has in his 27
Nah, mate, you're losing credibility with that kind of hyperbole.
(Edit: for starters, Fog is a better mark on a lead when our mids are ON, and can pot goals from 45-55m out. Himmelberg has hands of concrete and can barely kick 40m, sprays too many gettable shots at goal)

So, everyone is saying that Fogarty should be given 5 games to prove himself (after Frampton was given 5), but now they all want Himmelberg dropped after only 2 games?

Frampton was played in position, fog was not.

I don't hate him. He frustrates the hell out of me - so much talent & potential, so much fapping about him on BF, so little actual achievement on the field. I desperately want him to succeed - but he keeps on letting us down, time & time & time again.

When we select him as a forward, he doesn't get involved enough, rarely cracks double digit disposals, and is a complete liability when the opposition get their hands on the ball. He's too short to play as a KPP, and too slow & immobile to play as a small/medium forward. When we play him as a midfielder, his lack of mobility/speed/agility is exposed, and he's only marginally more effective than a witches hat. He can get away with his lack of mobility/speed/agility in the SANFL, but it gets exposed every time in the AFL.

If he was capable of sustaining the work rate that Himmelberg did yesterday, getting to as many contests as Berg did, then Fogarty would be a player. History tells us that he doesn't - he either can't, or won't. My money is on "can't".

I think there's a really good AFL player inside of him, but we're probably never going to see it because of the excess baggage he's carrying - and it's genetic, so it's going to be really hard for him to shift. I just don't see a future for him at AFL level until/unless he loses the excess muscle bulk, unleashing the talented player inside. If he could lose the weight, then he'd be faster & more agile, and able to get to more contests. Then we'd see what he's really capable of, and I have no doubt that he'd have a future at AFL level... but that's a huge IF.

What really annoys me is the constant fapping by his fanbois here, despite the fact that he's consistently done SFA every time he's been selected, which is why he's been in & out of the team like a yoyo. He comes in because they can see his talent, does SFA because his body shape is inherently unsuited to AFL football, and is dropped as a result. Rinse & repeat... yet his fanbois persist in viewing him through rose coloured blinkers, as if he was actually performing (when he hasn't). He is massively overrated, given how little he has actually achieved - and yes, I do push back against that, maybe too hard.

But you neglect the one thing that we’ve never done with him, given fog an uninterrupted run as the key lead up forward without Tex. Give him a run of 10 games like that and let’s see how he does.

Really, giving Newchurch a game, and punting McAdam to the SANFL is right now a better result then just hoping McAdam just works it out. We need McAdam to be good, and to get him back, he quite likely needs the same treatment it took for Matt to get back to his best.
+
Rowie is the total plodder that needs to go. McAdam is a talent that is either injured or out of form. But his issues are not terminal, Rowe's are. A finished product that peaks at 4/10, seeya.
Like 1970crow I think McAdam is the better player of the two. However, if McAdam is injured or out of form, both are reason enough for him not to be playing AFL until he's fully fit again, or playing much better.

Did you see Marini's goal from the SANFL yesterday? He sprinted about 30m across from the throw-in while the others stood and watched, shrugged off one tackle, bounced up, sold the candy then slotted the kick from a tight angle (to the astonished appreciation from the two Crows in the goal square). Look where Marini is when the ball is miskicked to the pocket and pause the replay (01 seconds out of 20). NO WAY he makes a goal out of that, yet he did.
I'm not suggesting that Marini should play AFL, but when I see a player create a goal like that out of nothing totally from his own effort I compare it to current AFL Crows. McAdam and Rowe are not creating goals and are poor defensively.

I just suspect McAdam has got ahead of himself. It wouldn't be difficult, a meteoric rise, ended up one of Adelaide's most important players last year, and won mark of the year which got him a bit of clout.
Rowie is likely a plodder at this point, but I'm not as rushed with dropping him at the moment. It might happen if Newchurch steps up with the level, otherwise, it's probably just a case of he gets games until Dudley comes on the list, or Pedlar is fit enough.
I fear you might be right about McAdam. He spends a lot of time behind opponents/packs, waiting for his next hanger-opportunity :grimacing: . If Sloane is fit to play, he could alternate between forward pocket/flank, midfield and the bench until he gets his tank up again.
Rowe and McAdam, out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year McAdam had tricks and speed on a lead. Now he has nothing. Has to be hampered surely.

In the SANFL did Rowe go up the ground much? Is he lost outside of F50?

I think there's a really good AFL player inside of him, but we're probably never going to see it because of the excess baggage he's carrying - and it's genetic, so it's going to be really hard for him to shift. I just don't see a future for him at AFL level until/unless he loses the excess muscle bulk, unleashing the talented player inside. If he could lose the weight, then he'd be faster & more agile, and able to get to more contests. Then we'd see what he's really capable of, and I have no doubt that he'd have a future at AFL level... but that's a huge IF.
Very good, detailed explanation in whole post.
Fog reminds me of a young Ricciutto, but 9cms taller, same height as Tex. Legs like tree trunks, bull-at-a-gate, tough.
Was it Shaw that tried to turn him into an Enforcer, so that Roo muscled up which basically slowed him down? When Roo slimmed down a bit and worked on his fitness, he really found his niche and excelled.
Your point about Fog's muscle mass and fitness is spot on. Crucial. I'm waiting for the penny to drop in his mind and for him to do the extra that he needs to do. With better fitness and agility Fogarty could be CHF and I think it's not as big an IF as you propose, provided he commits.

We managed to get Jones / Hatley / McHenry from that 2018 draft... all 3 of them seem to be stinking up our side.
Harsh, on all three.
Jones is an enigma and his woes might well be between his ears, but if they get him to peak fitness he has enough footy skill in him to make it *fingers crossed :grimacing: *.
Hately has yet to come to grips with the speed and pressure of AFL --- BUT --- still young enough to pick it up if he wants.
McHenry was much better on Saturday. Less huff'n'puff, more intent and attack on the ball and ball carrier.
Wtf - McHenry was the only positive out of yesterday’s game.
Pretty much. Keays put in yet another solid game; if he works on his right-foot kicking, potential star.

I'm not sure if all the people calling for Newchurch have seen him every week or just watch the highlights.

Absolutely has the tools to be a dangerous player, but he goes missing for huge chunks of the game and I'm not sure he's 100% mentally in the game 100% of the time.

We've got guys already going missing for huge chunks of the game. Might as well roll the dice and see how he goes. It can't be any worse than it already is.

Himmelberg is average, Fogarty is a tweener with a mixed set of skills who has done nothing but struggle to find a role at AFL level that his body will allow him to do, and at which his skills will allow him to excel.

Tex gets a lot of ball directed his way, so Fog needs to make a disproportionate amount of opportunity from contested marking bail out kicks and hunting ground ball. The supposed professionals in those areas haven't done much of a job of it either. Except Filthy against Hawks. The smalls have been crap lately and the 2nd ruck/KPF the same. I think the structure is wrong when we're not winning the midfield battle and it costs us across the whole ground.

But you neglect the one thing that we’ve never done with him, given fog an uninterrupted run as the key lead up forward without Tex. Give him a run of 10 games like that and let’s see how he does.
I don't get this line that gets rolled out all the time.

you put a kid as the #1key forward and he dent perform due to having the number 1 defender then people say the kid need support, etc (cant be expected to perform at a high level on the top defender)

The fog needs to be the main man to have been given a chance is pie in the sky stuff, an excuse for him.

Im not saying he wont make it, but him being #1 KPF wont make him better. He "may" kick more goals, but it could be McAdam like where he does nothing 90% of game then converts a few chances presented to him.

Fogs problem is getting involved enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back