Autopsy Roast & Toast vs GWS rd9 & Changes for Brisbane rd10

Best Players vs GWS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol no. Because astbury has been pretty solid this season. Is this another one of those "pick the random 30+ year old and say he is finished" type thing
Not at all, im not saying he’s done at all. He’s just being found out with our mass exodus of mids out at the moment. Lambert, Cotchin and Prestia are as good a 2 way runners in the game as their is. When teams are getting run ons against us it’s Dave that’s being found out. He’s still solid as a rock when the game is on our terms and the ball is coming in slow. But the hard facts are with the current midfield teams are going to have phases of dominance. If we can limit that to a 2-3 goal run rather than a 5-6 goal run we will be in games longer and avoid the Melbourne/Geelong blow outs.

Great win

- Liam Baker would be one of the first magnets Dimma reaches for every match committee.. a genuine Richmond man
- Leave Balta back. He is going to be our full back for the next 10 years, stop mucking with the kids head
- Bachar has been a great servant but i'm extremely worried about him.. he's freefalling off that dreaded cliff. Not convinced he's best 22 anymore.
- Cool the jets on CCJ.. yes i'd like to see him eventually but also value the role Marbs can play too.. he adds more flexibility and has proved he can play that third fwd role quite effectively.. plus his ruck craft is actually more developed than CCJs
- How much did that win mean to #4.. not often he shows that level of emotion

As long as we get through Lions with no new injuries, i'm happy to knock off Crows + Dons to make it 7-5 at the turn
wtf why is sydney your team supported

Bit like the WB match this is a dead set danger game , Fagan will be sitting back at match committee this week flossing his teeth , saying how far.

got a few OUT the lions, we should look to stretch them further in their back half, oh and have I mentioned how much we love Qld footy , Don’t you worry about that !

Bit like the WB match this is a dead set danger game , Fagan will be sitting back at match committee this week flossing his teeth , saying how far.

got a few OUT the lions, we should look to stretch them further in their back half, oh and have I mentioned how much we love Qld footy , Don’t you worry about that !

Do the lions have any good players out of their back 6?

Not at all, im not saying he’s done at all. He’s just being found out with our mass exodus of mids out at the moment. Lambert, Cotchin and Prestia are as good a 2 way runners in the game as their is. When teams are getting run ons against us it’s Dave that’s being found out. He’s still solid as a rock when the game is on our terms and the ball is coming in slow. But the hard facts are with the current midfield teams are going to have phases of dominance. If we can limit that to a 2-3 goal run rather than a 5-6 goal run we will be in games longer and avoid the Melbourne/Geelong blow outs.
Any defender is going to get found out when the ball comes steaming in off a centre clearance to a leading forward. If the kicker and marker do it properly there is no chance for the defender to stop it, they can’t react quickly enough.

Jack is fine. He is a crafty footballer and brings so much to our forward line. He knows when to fly for marks and when to stay down. I was happy with his game.

Bachar fumbled a few but did a few nice things. You'd have to think it's his final season though.
I'd use this week to play all 3 - ultimately unless we are ready to drop Riewoldt for CCJ long-term (which i dont think Dimma will do), whats the point otherwise? We need to see how all 3 can work.

I would go with 2 of CCJ, Riewoldt, Lynch up forward at all times - and start giving Jack more time on the bench., Then rotate CCJ & Toby through ruck - and then play Toby more as a floating 3rd man in backman, Toby has shown before he knows where to put himself to clunk very important marks back there doing that.

Doing that we should be able to spread the minutes around to make it work - this win gives us the freedom to experiment with our side against a high quality opponent & trial some new things
Don't know if Riewoldt is okay either. Passed it off to RCD, lucky Riley kicked it. And later in the game did he take a mark and hanball off to Rioli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all, im not saying he’s done at all. He’s just being found out with our mass exodus of kids out at the moment. Lambert, Cotchin and Prestia are as good a 2 way runners in the game as their is. When teams are getting run ons against us it’s Dave that’s being found out. He’s still solid as a rock when the game is on our terms and the ball is coming in slow. But the hard facts are with the current midfield teams are going to have phases of dominance. If we can limit that to a 2-3 goal run rather than a 5-6 goal run we will be in games longer and avoid the Melbourne/Geelong blow outs.
Any defender is going to get found out when the ball comes steaming in off a centre clearance to a leading forward. If the kicker and marker do it properly there is no chance for the defender to stop it, they can’t react quickly enough.
Absolutley but the difference is between Astbury and other defenders is that he can’t run with his opponent to spoil if the kick isn’t perfect, he just concedes the space. Look I’m not out to get Astbury and it’s fine that people disagree. I’m just keen to see how the 3rd tall forward/2nd ruck looks this season with CCJ in good form. It’s just my opinion that I would rather give Dave a break than omit a running player.

I doubt Fagan is saying that at all.

The reason Richmond starts seasons slow is because pressure football, finals football, the style the Tiggies have perfected in the last 4 years, requires peak fitness to be sustained for a full game. The conditioning team does an incredible job of getting as many of the squad as possible firing at the right end of the year.

Injuries threw a curve ball.

The kids are standing up. Let them. No changes.

The reason Richmond starts seasons slow is because pressure football, finals football, the style the Tiggies have perfected in the last 4 years, requires peak fitness to be sustained for a full game. The conditioning team does an incredible job of getting as many of the squad as possible firing at the right end of the year.

Injuries threw a curve ball.

The kids are standing up. Let them. No changes.
'Agree across the board,.

Also, when "pressure football" kicks in - the umpires rule the game very differently. We have seen it in every finals series so far & even saw it on Saturday night. We got reemed by them for 3 +1/2 quarters, but once the game got hot, the whistle went away and if anything, we saw rewards for our defensive effort

With Baker showing he can play full-time mid, how does our best 22 look now?

I'm at a bit of a loss...

Grimes, Astbury, Broad
Houli, Balta, Vlastuin
McIntosh, Cotchin, Lambert
Edwards, Lynch, Bolton
Rioli, Riewoldt, Castagna
Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
Graham, Baker, Short, Pickett

It's still the same 22 from the GF. Is that right?

Do we perhaps drop Pickett and play another ruck?

Do we drop Astbury, back in Grimes/Balta/Broad and then play the extra ruck?

Does Stack maybe eventually come in for Castagna, given we seem to be less about pressure small forwards these days?

Is Pickett best 22?

It's a good problem to have but I'd love us to solve it come September, provided we even make it (check the ladder predictor, there are lots of tough games that could see us finishing on only 12 wins...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back