List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

In the 2021 MSD, Carlton should select...

• Charlie McKay (F/S)

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dominic Akuei (NGA)

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Best available mature age player

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • Best available U19 (overlooked in last year's draft)

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other - Specify

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's mid season draft day people!

Picks 6, 20 and 25 are with us. Really need to fix up our spine with our selections both up front, down back, and in the ruck. Preferably I'd like a KPF/ruck so we can play TDK on his own without Levi or Pittonet. If we can get that all good, I wouldn't mind a winger as a potential Cotrell/Newnes upgrade with our 3rd pick.

GO BLUES

I've been going through Jacob Edwards footage, and I've watched Mirkov in the Brisbane and Southport VFL games. Had a look at Moyle too, and I understand that Max Heath has seen a lot of interest.

From my perspective I'm not interested in Mirkov as a priority. I'd look at Jacob Edwards if he's available (seems he won't be), then focus on Callow, Ash Edwards, and Cody Raak. Zavier Maher is of more interest to me in the third second round.

Mirkov will probably go through to the second or third round of the 2021 rookie draft, because he has no tank. He's a 3 year project.

EDIT: Maher in the 2nd round
Mirkov has supposedly been interviewed by us, gold coast, west coast and Sydney according to Twomey on afl.com.au.
Be highly likely that he goes today.

Last edited:
Mirkov has supposedly been interviewed by us, gold coast, west coast and Sydney according to Twomey on afl.com.au.

Perfect. Take a better ruck for the immediate future and let one of the interstate teams pump some development into Mirkov....then pick him up via trade for a third rounder in a couple of years if he's showing enough signs.

The knock on him seems to come down to playing well against the bottom sides in SANFL?
To be fair hes an 18 year old kid, in his first season of senior footy, playing in the best state league in Australia, against seasoned Vets, numerous of which have a lot of afl experiences

Also means most likely will never be as good as kids who grew up playing the game. We're hoping he improves enough that his 210cm makes up for it.
He may need work on all typical skill areas like marking, hand balling, kicking, awareness of time and space etc. But he should be (what’s greater than elite?) brilliant at tap working immediately; he’s taller than everyone, tapping a ball is the main thing he has done in Vball.
A Ruckman who does near zero around the ground, but puts 80% of taps to our advantage I’m keen. The positive impact from that overall may make it worth it.

He may need work on all typical skill areas like marking, hand balling, kicking, awareness of time and space etc. But he should be (what’s greater than elite?) brilliant at tap working immediately; he’s taller than everyone, tapping a ball is the main thing he has done in Vball.
A Ruckman who does near zero around the ground, but puts 80% of taps to our advantage I’m keen. The positive impact from that overall may make it worth it.
He's a really nice kick of the football from the footage on channel 10 last night. Not sure about his decision makingb

Definitely high risk high reward scenario.

I guess you just say that it is mid season draft and not a top 10 pick in the national draft and temper your expectations accordingly. Not many have made much of an impact from the mid year draft, so nothing ventured nothing gained.

Being new to the game from volleyball means there is vast scope for improvement for mirkov. Hopefully we gave had a good look at his attitude, nastiness, hand eye Co ordination etc.

Remember we took deluca with our first pick in one if these and he played as many games if not more than most despite not being effectual. The vast amount of players drafted tomorrow night won't be on lists in 18 months time.
It's not really that high risk. it's just a mid-season pick and a rookie list spot. It's a fairly low risk high reward proposition.

Gold Coast’s apparent interest in Mirkov is surprising... They need a ready-made ruck to step in and play right away, he is clearly a long-term prospect (and sounds like a very good one).

Hoping he gets past Gold Coast‘s pick, I like the sound of him.
They don't really, Zac Smith is fit and playing now. Mirkov at best will be the backup to Zac. They do need a long term option, as they don't currently have any young developing ruck iirc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wouldn’t we be looking at Tyson Stengel? Surely it’s worth a punt with eddies guidance in a small fwd position we’re screaming out for
Are we though? Fisher, Martin, Cunners, Fog, Ramsay, Betts, Owies and Honey all look very promising as mid/small forwards. Even Durdin and Philp should come good after a period of development. We can also through SPS, Murph and Newnes through there as well.

If we were to pick up a small forward, it would be someone for example like Bailey Lambert who can also go through the midfield.

Stengle hasn't shown much at AFL level and has had 2 chances at 2 good cultured clubs who've both ditched him due to off field issues. (You may laugh but aside from Pikes camp years Adelaide traditionally are very good in this area, particularly with the indigenous boys)

Do not want.

Why are we so deep in Mirkov? Don't we need a ready to go ruckman now if TDK & Pitt we're to go down?

Perfect. Take a better ruck for the immediate future and let one of the interstate teams pump some development into Mirkov....then pick him up via trade for a third rounder in a couple of years if he's showing enough signs.
Agree with you, one would have though, that the Mid season draft was for that exact purpose immediate future, and hopefully positive impact, not a miracle spark , just showing some future potential.

Plays far too wide. For some reason he continues to be obsessed with following the chalk lines

One can’t be too critical or fussy with the Mid season draft, it’s a gamble ,if Tyson could play a disciplined font and center & have leading pattern like Eddie he’d be an elite footballer. We desperately need real X factor and not pretend type, in our midfield & forward line, that’s were the game is won. Tyson has ability but needs more commitment & discipline, and not only on the park.

Are we though? Fisher, Martin, Cunners, Fog, Ramsay, Betts, Owies and Honey all look very promising as mid/small forwards. Even Durdin and Philp should come good after a period of development. We can also through SPS, Murph and Newnes through there as well.

If we were to pick up a small forward, it would be someone for example like Bailey Lambert who can also go through the midfield.

Well, you’ve successfully convinced me that we’re screaming out for a small forward...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To be fair hes an 18 year old kid, in his first season of senior footy, playing in the best state league in Australia, against seasoned Vets, numerous of which have a lot of afl experiences
Callow is playing in the WAFL too? Wowee, the athleticism on this kid! :p

Fisher isn't really a natural small forward, nor is Martin or Durdin, but they have the smarts to make a difference off half-forward. Philp and Fogarty are midfielders who can do defensive jobs, but their place in a modern forward structure is high-half forward, otherwise in the on-ball rotation as a receive option.

Fullerton has played AFL and Mirkov destroyed him in the ruck (but struggled around the ground)

Not sure what immediate ruck prospect would provide over the durable Pittonet, TDK can't do a whole match on his own yet either.

These comments to me point out the contrasting views that I see unfolding: Fullarton is an ex-basketballer who is a project forward/ruck, and seems to play his best football as a roaming CHF, so there's not a lot to be read in how he'd compete against a taller opponent who learned his raw ruck craft as a volleyballer. Mirkov also blew up pretty heavily in both games, though did a decent job of recovering during the breaks.

Then you hear about all the people interviewing, and his VAFA coach's comments and wonder if there's any substance to that. It's possible that he's showing flashes and we believe if his endurance tests well and we can scale that reasonably quickly, he's an AFL prospect.

If we don't believe that, and that he's a 3 year project as a tap ruck who will provide below-average pressure away from the stoppage in his role, then we should be getting him to nominate unique terms so that he drops to our third pick.

Gold Coast are interviewing every ruck candidate under the sun, Sydney are thorough and profile prospects well for their system, while West Coast have had a limited draft hand for a few years and need to turn over their ruck stocks. They've been churning through prospects for a while now.

Hawthorn was another name mentioned, but they've moved on fairly quickly, and they have a different valuation of the worth of the ruck role.

Not sure if Freeman has come up in this thread, but the Tigers are looking at him and we should be too. Absolutely dominating the VFL.
I've mentioned this a few times now, but you should look at the footage and how he plays. Very smart player and he's got himself very lean with high cardiovascular fitness, but his legs are not right, and he doesn't really cover a lot of territory at a high speed (which is slow compared to the player he was as a junior).

His hamstrings are still cooked.

Back