Mid-season Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You have hit the Nail on the Head.. in this is what I read between the lines... written in (Bold):

“Hawthorn National Recruitment and List Manager Mark McKenzie says while building greater midfield (Jai) and forward depth (Callow) is high on the priority list, the club will be taking a 'talent first' approach.” (Moyle)
It is the right approach. 👍

I think if a club is willing to put an untried 19 year old on a list from the MSD for four years after 5 VFL games, other clubs may consider that his medical results were favorable.

Well those clubs would be dumb. Like the Hawks always get it right.

Thorp, Muston and Dowler injuries and our drafting of Vickery, Scully and Patton would not give me a lot of confidence when it come to risk and reward for the Hawks.

We should but then we lose out on Newcombe who from all accounts is our best young midfielder under Sam, so then we have played ourselves.
Why do you insist this? It has no basis.

If we select Moyle with pick 2, yes, we may miss Newcombe.

But if we select Newcombe with 2, we may miss out on Moyle.

You make it sound as if we could easily have both if we somehow did something different.

We will take the one we want more at our first pick, and see if the one(s) we still want are available with our next.

This is the situation from the beginning. Nothing has changed due to anything we did.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking about what's best for the kid. If Adelaide picks him, there will be minimal culture shock. Poowong and Adelaide are both small country towns really. Plus rent is cheaper in that part of the world. His 150k will go much further.

Have heard that we have spoken to Moyle and obviously Jai. Does anyone know who else we have spoken to, done a medical check on? Just got a gut feeling that there will be a surprise tonight as drafts never pan out in the order as what most expect.

How good is Moyle?
Hard to tell.

Missed all of 2020 (like everyone) and prior to that was playing school 2nds and 3rds. His improvement as a ruckman in NAB and VFL games has been impressive, but he is very raw and hardly one who was on everyone's radar even 6 months ago.

Definitely a bit of a punt for whomever takes him.

I think my point or my writing has been misunderstood/misunderstanding - that's okay it means I have something to work on.

I've known many football talent scouts who have never played more than juniors, and only because it was expected, who spot talent way before others who are "fancied" because they played the game. Bucky may have called the names of Buddy and Roughie and Lewis but he was told about these boys by someone else, make no mistake, and it's usually someone who isn't involved and so can zoom out.

I asked because I was interested not because i had a bias. I'm too old to be out drinking with journos and then judging their clarity with eyes through a box of beer.

HODGEYROAD you're finally getting the credit you deserve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back