Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throughout the history of pick 1s (40 pick 1s btw) only 3 have won flags, they are:

- Luke Hodge (Hawthorn didn't even finish last in 2001)
- Tom Boyd (Won his flag at the dogs who never finished last in recent times)
- Des Headland (Brisbane actually finished last the year they picked him up)

So that means there has only been 1 pick 1 who was drafted at a club that finished at a club that finished last and stayed at the original club to win a flag

So quit this 'wanting to lose' mentality on this board.

And the top 2,3,4,5 etc?

Alright ladies and gentlemen

- Delicious gather of the footy inside 50m just over 3 minutes into the first quarter (this is his 3rd touch already and he's laid a tackle), shrugging his opponent like he wasn't even there, faked a handball, baulked another defender coming in before barely missing the handball target under pressure. Just ridiculous strength and explosiveness for his age.

- Beautiful decision making on the wing after reading the ball in the air better than 2 opponents near him. He gathered the ball, and you could see him tempted to kick long to around the edge of the 50m but he re-assesses his options upfield and sees a teammate 30m up from the wing from where he is in acres of space. He adjusts his kick and places it infront of this teammate who runs onto it.

- I'm going to say this until the cows come home. Dangerfield-like mark on the lead above his head halfway through the second. Then turned immediately and kicked it to a 2 on 2 in the goalsquare which lead to a goal.

-19 mins gone in the 3rd quarter. Kick from a teammate to the goal square, Horne with 2 opponents nearby, reads it better coming back with the flight and juggles the mark. Went back and kicked the goal.

- We know this already but burst speed is so good - shows it as he lays a tackle in the defensive square after the opposition win the ball and try to work it to the outside by hand. You can see him read that this handball is going to take place so much quicker than anyone else around which allows him to get there and make the tackle immediately as the opponent gets the footy.

- Hits the ball-up caused from the play just above with so much pace and gets his hands on it, perfect lateral handball in ridiculous congestion to a teammate in space.

- Hits another stoppage with pace, stumbles over another player, gathers the ball, gets hands off to teammate.

- Ability to pick the ground ball up cleanly and quickly in congestion is silly.

Said it last week, spit in anyone's face who even suggests that Daicos might be in the same tier.

Last edited:
if we don’t win another game it’s easily priority pick 2

LOL we ain’t getting s**t mate - your lack of nuance around this subject is telling.

The AFL is not fair and just, they don’t want us to succeed and we flat out don’t deserve one.

We put ourselves in this predicament and what little precedent you are using does not apply to us.

Not having a go at you btw, just think you need to temper your expectations - I cannot see us getting PP under any circumstances.

LOL we ain’t getting shot mate - your lack of nuance around this subject is telling.

The AFL is not fair and just, they don’t want us to succeed and we flat out don’t deserve one.

We put ourselves in this predicament and what little precedent you are using does not apply to us.

Not having a go at you btw, just think you need to temper your expectations - I cannot see us getting PP under any circumstances.
You might be right but pushing the priority pick 2 narrative doesn’t hurt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My kids are going to see a wooden spoon before they see a flag and I hate it.

But man that Hornet guy looks so good. It's conflicting, it really is.
Is it worth it if it gets us 3x flags in a row?

Last edited:
LOL we ain’t getting sh*t mate - your lack of nuance around this subject is telling.

I don't think we will get one, but no club has deserved one, or have been in some way not responsible for the circumstances leading to getting one.

LOL we ain’t getting sh*t mate - your lack of nuance around this subject is telling.

We put ourselves in this predicament
and what little precedent you are using does not apply to us.

No team does, every team puts itself in that predicament but there is a PP available for the Suns this year before our second round pick at what should be pick 19. We should be pushing for that pick to be scrapped so no one gets it or if anyone does it should be us that get it. If we get it we could then swap those two picks (19 and 20) and next years first for Harry McKay.

The more clips I watch the more I think don't even consider bidding on Daicos. We know the Pies will match the bid 100% but if I was the club I would be telling Horne we could bid on Daicos and it probably has benefits in terms of knocking more points out of Collingwood, but you are that far ahead of everyone else in your draft class we are making you No. 1. Everything I have seen so far suggests that Horne would love that.

I don't think Collingwood are over a barrel for Daicos as suggested. With all the flack they've been copping they'll be more likely to want to show good governance than have a gun put to their head IF matching Daicos was going to derail their 2-3 year draft hand too much.

Not suggesting they don't want him or wouldn't match for him but the idea of bluffing them with a #1 pick bid is flawed.

It should be obvious but stating it again - only bid of Daicos at #1 if you are prepared to take him ahead of all other options. Because as others have said, if pies don't blink you've just delivered a gift-wrapped Jason Horne to whoever holds pick #2.

Crows were able to force the dogs on Ugle-Hagan because he was a number 1 grade talent and they would've been prepared to forgo Thilthorpe for him.

When you say "We put ourselves in this predicament," I have to assume you mean that this is the narrative being spun by the media and opposition supporters who don't have a clue. Surely no intelligent person thinks North Melbourne wins more games this year with Mason Wood, Majak Daw, Sam Durdin, Paul Ahern, Jasper Pittard, Ben Jacobs, Jmac etc. We were rubbish with them last year and would be just as bad, if not worse, with them this year. And likewise, no sane person thinks we put ourselves in the predicament of having longterm injuries to Luke McDonald, Robbie Tarrant, Aidan Corr, Aidan Bonar, Jed Anderson, Jared Polec etc (albeit that injuries to key players is a valid argument against a priority pick).

I don't think Collingwood are over a barrel for Daicos as suggested. With all the flack they've been copping they'll be more likely to want to show good governance than have a gun put to their head IF matching Daicos was going to derail their 2-3 year draft hand too much.

Not suggesting they don't want him or wouldn't match for him but the idea of bluffing them with a #1 pick bid is flawed.

It should be obvious but stating it again - only bid of Daicos at #1 if you are prepared to take him ahead of all other options. Because as others have said, if pies don't blink you've just delivered a gift-wrapped Jason Horne to whoever holds pick #2.

Crows were able to force the dogs on Ugle-Hagan because he was a number 1 grade talent and they would've been prepared to forgo Thilthorpe for him.

I disagree to the extent that Collingwood IS over a barrel, they've already bet the farm on him (last year) and they have to take him. But having said that, I agree entirely that we should not consider for one second calling his name if we think Jason Horne is a better player. Even if it's line ball or too hard to call, I'd be opting for Jason Horne.

I disagree to the extent that Collingwood IS over a barrel, they've already bet the farm on him (last year) and they have to take him. But having said that, I agree entirely that we should not consider for one second calling his name if we think Jason Horne is a better player. Even if it's line ball or too hard to call, I'd be opting for Jason Horne.

That's fair re Collingwood. Maybe they are over a barrel, maybe they aren't. But their administration and staff may have shifted around by then and it'd be a dangerous move to try and second guess another club's strategy and (perhaps political) motivations while gambling the highest value draft capital we've ever held (which concurs with what you said).

It boils down to - if you dummy bid at an auction, be prepared to being stuck as the winning bidder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back