2021 Non-Crows AFL Talk 2: are the VFL corrupt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this on the main draft board re Mitch Mcgovern. Thanks to our good friend ADL9798

View attachment 1157064

I can't help get this scene from Wolf of Wall Street out of my head..we gave Carlton a very promising player and they did this to him (Carlton play the role of Leonardo Di Caprio). I had to pull the youtube clip due to X rated language..sorry

Before (when they took him from us)
View attachment 1157067

After (when they paid a huge amount of money and got him into their system)

View attachment 1157070
Don’t worry about Carlton, they can just follow the Collingwood Beams model and ask to pay McKay outside the salary cap.

AFL House will grant it because they’re from Melbourne, so it’s fine.

Don’t worry about Carlton, they can just follow the Collingwood Beams model and ask to pay McKay outside the salary cap.

AFL House will grant it because they’re from Melbourne, so it’s fine.
You have to wonder just how far beyond the salary cap Collingwood were given they paid out Beams outside the salary cap and yet still had to have the fire sale last year!

Merrett re-signing at Essendon would indicate that he'll permanently be a missing puzzle piece.
That's good ... he might be the only one who might have netted the Bumbers a tier 1 FA compo should the Bumbers end up below us on the table.

Hopefully there's no other player in a team that will be below us that could get a tier 1 FA compo.

You have to wonder just how far beyond the salary cap Collingwood were given they paid out Beams outside the salary cap and yet still had to have the fire sale last year!
What was the fall out from them paying beams outside the cap which there is a precedent of losing 2 years worth of 1st and second round draft picks for or is that still to come. When do collingwood get told they wont have draft picks for the next few seasons?

Port Power aren't a destination club like the media spin that Tredrea says they "get the player they are after", all they did was sign up anyone who wanted to join them. I'm still not sure why they got Ryder who stalled Lobbe development and cost them a 1st and 2nd rounder, Dixon who stalled Marshall development and cost them a 1st rounder and Fantasia who stalled Rozee development, they also got Watts and Rockliff and look how their career have ended. They did bet us to secure Polec but he has left them and also Motlop who they overpaid.
1623911781349.png

Last edited:
Modra's mark in the goal square where he had Archer hanging off him was probably the best mark I've seen live. Unfortunately the camera angles don't so it justice.
I still remember it to this day, thought Mods took better marks but none better when i was there. Guy was a freak and did it often
Riewoldt's mark is the best I've seen though i think

Merrett re-signing at Essendon would indicate that he'll permanently be a missing puzzle piece.

Watch them go after Luke Dunstan now instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She's a grandparent who is mostly retired and who took some time to be with her daughter - probably because her son in law still had responsibilities with his employer.

I think it's great for footballers to have time off the birth of their child. I'm less convinced they should be missing games so they can help out around the house.

Hell - take paternity leave. All for it. But if others rely on you for your job and they expect your availability 20 days a year, I think it should be exceptional circumstances that keep you away.

Birth of a child is pretty exceptional.
What trumps it?

if you go via the the advertiser twitter page and click on the link in the tweet, that usually bypasses the paywall

this is part of the article

Go all in on Horne?
For the second straight year, an elite South Australian talent is set to go in the first couple of bids in the draft.

But while the Crows were able to snare key forward Riley Thilthorpe in last year’s draft, getting South Adelaide midfield gun Jason Horne is set to be a tricky one.

Touted as the best player of the draft class alongside Collingwood father-son prospect Nick Daicos, Horne could become the elite midfielder who can hit the scoreboard Adelaide is crying out for.

But the problem is Adelaide will most likely have to find a way to stop North Melbourne, who are huge on the youngster, taking him with Pick No. 1 or 2 if Collingwood match a bid for Daicos.

The Crows will likely have a pick around the four or five range, so do they offer the Roos their first round pick from 2021 and 2022 to add another gun SA prospect to their list.

Raid Gold Coast
Speaking of gun SA prospects, there is also the matter of Gold Coast pair Jack Lukosius and Izak Rankine.

Ever since the two South Australians were taken by the Suns inside the top three of their draft, Crows and Port Adelaide fans have been saying their clubs should be getting ready to bring the two back home.

Well right now both Lukosius and Rankine are out of contract at the Suns at the end of 2022.

Of the two it is understood Lukosius is considered the more gettable and the Crows are watching his situation closely.

Raid Sydney
While the Suns duo are out of contract at the end of 2022, Sydney duo Jordan Dawson and Dylan Stephens have their current deals expiring this year.

It is understood the Crows are deep into Dawson, and could be in a position to take advantage of Sydney’s salary cap issues to land a player who could be the replacement for Brodie Smith.

Stephens has been in and out of the Swans side this season, but is still getting interest from Victorian clubs including reigning premiers Richmond.

It is understood Stephens would be keen on joining Adelaide but the Crows have yet to register their official interest in the former No. 5 pick.

The sticking point with pursuing Dawson and Stephens is that it could seriously dent the Crows draft hand this year, where there are some highly talented South Australian kids.

Make a call on Matt Crouch
Could this be a way the Crows increase their draft hand?

A Malcolm Blight medallist and All-Australian in 2017, the out of contract Crouch now looms as Adelaide’s most interesting list management decision following the raft of Crows re-signings this year.

Issues with his groin following hip surgery in the off-season has meant that Crouch has only played in a pre-season match for the Crows, and is listed as seven to eight weeks away on Adelaide’s injury list.

Despite this, and criticism that he is all too ready to get cheap possessions, Crouch is still a prolific ball-winner in the AFL and at 26 and a restricted free agent come the end of the year he would still have some currency if the Crows decide it’s time for him to leave West Lakes

At the same time Crouch is still a member of the Crows leadership group and makes Nicks’ midfield better when he is in there.

So it will be a fascinating one to see what the Crows do.

Make a call on Daniel Talia
Another club champion and All-Australian who has yet to play this year because of injury, Talia’s situation will also be one to watch.

Talia would definitely make the Crows defence better, but Jordon Butts has stood up superbly this year while Fischer McAsey and Josh Worrell have signed new deals and Nick Murray has played some games.

So there are some talls there and few Crows fans would forgive Talia for wanting to have one more crack at winning a flag.

The 29-year-old would be perfect for the Western Bulldogs and perhaps even the final piece for Luke Beveridge’s side.
NO to Horne.. sorry, but simply cannot justify giving up a ridiculous amount of draft capital for one kid. and it will take more than just our 1st this year and next.. north will want more than that.

YES to letting Mcrouch and Talia exploring other options. dont think we’d miss either. we have plenty of ball accumulators in our midfield already. we need to add class.
Talia aint the future.. Butts and McAsey are.. we need to invest in them and keeping Talia would set that back.. just pointless at this point of the rebuild. Butts is a gun KPD. McAsey will get there.

YES please to the rest re: luko, rankine, dawson and stephens.. plus a look at CCJ if he wants to come home.

Port Power aren't a destination club like the media spin that Tredrea says they "get the player they are after", all they did was sign up anyone who wanted to join them. I'm still not sure why they got Ryder who stalled Lobbe development and cost them a 1st and 2nd rounder, Dixon who stalled Marshall development and cost them a 1st rounder and Fantasia who stalled Rozee development, they also got Watts and Rockliff and look how their career have ended. They did bet us to secure Polec but he has left them and also Motlop who they overpaid.
View attachment 1157188
The Rockliff one was always weird. It would be a bit like St Kilda bragging they were a destination club after getting Brad Crouch when there was barely any interest from other clubs around the league for him. I believe the only two clubs to lodge offers to Rockliff were Carlton and Port, so no surprise who he went with.

We were probably never getting Polec either even if he did chose us. We offered Wright, Brisbane said that wouldn't cut it, offered D-Mac and he said he wouldn't go, so had no real way of trading for him since we'd lost our picks and future trading wasn't a thing. Also heard some bad stories about our approach to him as well.

I saw this on the main draft board re Mitch Mcgovern. Thanks to our good friend ADL9798

View attachment 1157064

Awww Jesus 2 years left on the McGovern deal at $800k. For some reason I just assumed that deal would have been closed to finished by now.

Big Harry leading the comp as a tall forward and getting similar money to fatty McGovern... wow.

Blues would be farking livid.

Awww Jesus 2 years left on the McGovern deal at $800k. For some reason I just assumed that deal would have been closed to finished by now.

Big Harry leading the comp as a tall forward and getting similar money to fatty McGovern... wow.

Blues would be farking livid.
And this is solely on Teague as he was close to McGovern when he was the forward coach here (I still recall McGovern's manager saying it wasn't about the money, $550K for 3 years or leave for $800K for 5 years.....sure it wasn't), along with bringing over Betts. This is why there is an internal review and not just because of his coaching, he made both these choices which have proven to be very horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back