The ‘90s vs today

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely, the list is thin …

Agree + little ability to change that for a while.

… and unbalanced …

Agree

Slicing and dicing it a few ways, …

Our defense is as strong as it’s always been, but our offence has been lacking in recent years and struggle to see where improvement is going to come from.

We probably wouldn’t want to have too much more youth on our list. We could probably do with a few more mid-career players.

… and there are ongoing questions about the board …

Anybody can round up enough signatures to force a board challenge at pretty much any time …

… you’ll always find 5% of any population disgruntled about something. And the media will always stir the pot to create drama.

I don’t see the current board situation is much different to the Richmond EGM circa 2016 which gave the incumbent board a mandate. Of course I might be wrong, let’s see what happens.

… and administration in general. …

What do you reckon is wrong with our current administration?

We have plenty go worry about.

We certainly do. My list:

- Selection criteria for new coach
- New coach
- Club PR / image / what it stands for (not unreasonable to wait for the senior coach appointment to work on that)
- Relationship with members (I’m cautiously optimistic about the member engagement sub committee, looking forward to see what becomes of it)
- Sponsorship deals, our training centre has now gone a long time without a paying sponsor. It’s getting increasingly difficult to get companies to open their marketing chequebooks in this era of Facebook and Google advertising.
- List management going forward. I’m excited about young players like Bianco, Poulter, Murphy and McCreary. Maybe there’ll another two or three out of Rantell / Keane / Wilson / Macrae / Kelly / Ruscoe / McInnis / McMahon / Chugg / Ginnivan / Henry / Begg / Johnson / Tohill. But IMO another two or three out of that lot just isn’t enough to cover the natural attrition that we’ll be going through in the coming years.

One of the differences between footy in general back then and today, was that back then many teams had their hero players …

… players who the fans would happily pay the price of admission just to see them do their thing. St Kilda had Tony Lockett, Sydney had Warwick Capper. For Collingwood that player was Nathan Buckley, and maybe Sav Rocca for a few seasons.

But their teams were otherwise rubbish.

An exception to that was Wayne Carey, he was a player that fans paid the price of admission to watch, and he played in successful teams.

These days teams don’t have those singular hero players … except for maybe Franklin at the Swans (you’ve gotta be at a Swans game live to appreciate it … you could be inside at the bar and you know from the crowd noise when Franklin goes anywhere near the footy - I kid you not)

So the “Hope” that teams had in the 90’s and before were typically a false hope based around a singular or small number of hero players. St Kilda were always going to be rubbish no matter how many goals Tony Lockett kicked.

Hird
Voss
Ricuito/Modra/McLeod
Peter Matera
Kouta
Etc etc

Your being very selective with your hero players only playing in poor teams.

Was Buckley less of a "hero" in 02 03 etc? Nope.

People talk about the 90's and that's cool
I still recall 1976 and that late 1970's and early 1980's
Ughh Nitemares
If PTSD was a word back then I suffered it!

I still have PTSD from the 2018 grand final, and the 2002, 2003, 2010 draw and 2011 grand finals. Add the 2003 Wizard Cup grand final and 2009 NAB Cup final to that as well.

I am of an age where a couple of my best mates and I have seen 1 win and 1 draw in a grand final. Our mid 50s aged fathers have seen 2 wins and 2 draws. It's pretty grim, but things can be worse.

In 1999, our family bought legends memberships that guaranteed us grand final tickets if we made them, dad and I laugh how he saw it as a donation to the club and less than 3 years later we should've won a flag! Things can change quickly.

I only started attending and following as a 6 year old in 2000 but it's pretty clear from everyone I've spoken to that the 90s were pretty grim on and off the field. At least now, whilst things are grim, we know the club will exist in 6 months, that wasn't the case in the mid / late 90s at all.

Last edited:
Hird
Voss
Ricuito/Modra/McLeod
Peter Matera
Kouta
Etc etc

Your being very selective with your hero players only playing in poor teams.

Was Buckley less of a "hero" in 02 03 etc? Nope.

Not disagreeing with you at all. I included Wayne Carey in my list.

My point was that there was a time most (all?) teams had their hero players that gave their fans hope that they could build a champion team around. Some did, most didn’t.

I just don’t think the competition works that way so much anymore.

My point was that there was a time most (all?) teams had their hero players that gave their fans hope that they could build a champion team around. Some did, most didn’t.

So you are not against Voss being the coach?

In 1999, our family bought legends memberships that guaranteed us grand final tickets if we made them, dad and I laugh how he saw it as a donation to the club and less than 3 years later we should've won a flag! Things can change quickly.

Indeed they can.

I took out interstate membership during the 2010 season, which ended up getting me into the 2010 Grand Final replay. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that would ever happen!

So you are not against Voss being the coach?

I’m with the person who said “Voss” sounds a bit too close to “Toss” 🤣

If I had my rathers, I’d prefer a young unproven energetic coach. I think we were at our best when we brought in Leigh Matthews. He was an outsider (John Cahill had had the Port Magpies connection, so he didn’t seem that much of an outsider), there were not the immediate expectations.

I think that makes all the more sense today given we have an experienced footy boss.

I’m with the person who said “Voss” sounds a bit too close to “Toss” 🤣

If I had my rathers, I’d prefer a young unproven energetic coach. I think we were at our best when we brought in Leigh Matthews. He was an outsider (John Cahill had had the Port Magpies connection, so he didn’t seem that much of an outsider), there were not the immediate expectations.

I think that makes all the more sense today given we have an experienced footy boss.

Oh well time will tell and the expectations on the new coach from the supporters in 2022 will be huge.
Personally I think and it's clear we need to lower that hope as we are close to losing some of our Senior players.
And enjoy the ride it will be I hope a great journey.

But we got some Good Kids Coming Thru which I doubt we had many in the late 90's

We picked up Presti and Tarrant with our first round draft picks in 95 and 97. We had brought in Pebbles in 97. We had 3 young top level KPPs waiting to develop. We've only got one young gun KPP now. Bucks, Burns, Licuria were all on the list and had plenty of football to come. Our midfield is old as sh*t now. We didn't have a cap crisis and had plenty of picks to bring in some talent in the 1999-2000 drafts.

Our 99 team was 3 seasons away from being 8 points away from a flag. If you think we're going to be anywhere near a grand final in 2024, then I have some bad news for you.

I agree teams try to be more team then reliant on a star but there is still room for said stars in the system.

Martin, Danger, Franklin, Fyfe, Bont are probably the notable ones now, with Franklin and Fyfe coming to the end.

Agree + little ability to change that for a while.

Agree

Slicing and dicing it a few ways, …

Our defense is as strong as it’s always been, but our offence has been lacking in recent years and struggle to see where improvement is going to come from.

We probably wouldn’t want to have too much more youth on our list. We could probably do with a few more mid-career players.

Anybody can round up enough signatures to force a board challenge at pretty much any time …

… you’ll always find 5% of any population disgruntled about something. And the media will always stir the pot to create drama.

I don’t see the current board situation is much different to the Richmond EGM circa 2016 which gave the incumbent board a mandate. Of course I might be wrong, let’s see what happens.

What do you reckon is wrong with our current administration?

We certainly do. My list:

- Selection criteria for new coach
- New coach
- Club PR / image / what it stands for (not unreasonable to wait for the senior coach appointment to work on that)
- Relationship with members (I’m cautiously optimistic about the member engagement sub committee, looking forward to see what becomes of it)
- Sponsorship deals, our training centre has now gone a long time without a paying sponsor. It’s getting increasingly difficult to get companies to open their marketing chequebooks in this era of Facebook and Google advertising.
- List management going forward. I’m excited about young players like Bianco, Poulter, Murphy and McCreary. Maybe there’ll another two or three out of Rantell / Keane / Wilson / Macrae / Kelly / Ruscoe / McInnis / McMahon / Chugg / Ginnivan / Henry / Begg / Johnson / Tohill. But IMO another two or three out of that lot just isn’t enough to cover the natural attrition that we’ll be going through in the coming years.
Agree with most, I have deep reservations about the quality and commitment of both the incumbent and the challenger - in other words I'm far from convinced we have the right people lined up.

People talk about the 90's and that's cool
I still recall 1976 and that late 1970's and early 1980's
Ughh Nitemares
If PTSD was a word back then I suffered it!

I recall 1976 quite fondly actually.

I was quite young, so when I heard that Collingwood ‘won’ the wooden spoon, I thought that was a good thing - and so it became my team.

And as much as that’s led to a frustrating life as a footy supporter, I’m grateful that Fitzroy didn’t finish bottom of the table that year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with most, I have deep reservations about the quality and commitment of both the incumbent and the challenger …

You’re referring to the President?

What criteria do you judge the quality of a President by?

What are you expecting in terms of commitment?

I recall 1976 quite fondly actually.

I was quite young, so when I heard that Collingwood ‘won’ the wooden spoon, I thought that was a good thing - and so it became my team.

And as much as that’s led to a frustrating life as a footy supporter, I’m grateful that Fitzroy didn’t finish bottom of the table that year.
I don't recall those days myself but apparently our 6 wins in that year would have avoided the spoon in most other years of that era.

Accountability.

In what way do you see the incumbent and the challenge as not being accountable?

Commitment to the betterment of the club.

How do you see that Mark Korda, in his very short time as President, could have been more committed to the betterment of the club?

But we got some Good Kids Coming Thru which I doubt we had many in the late 90's
What?

Licuria, A Rocca, Tarrant, N Davis, Lockyer, Betheras, Scotland. And that’s before a very handy batch in 2000

What on earth are you on about?? That crop I expect far outperform our current crop.

In what way do you see the incumbent and the challenge as not being accountable?

How do you see that Mark Korda, in his very short time as President, could have been more committed to the betterment of the club?
In the same way as Ed wasn't.

Horrendously low percentage.
No % was not the issue. We finished a game behind 11th which was the reason. Our % of 86 was >10% better than the spoon teams of 75 and 77 which isn’t a surprise as we won 6 games.

Horrendously low percentage.
No % was not the issue. We finished a game behind 11th which was the reason. Our % of 86 was >10% better than the spoon teams of 75 and 77 which isn’t a surprise as we won 6 games.
1625632875282.png 1625633192551.png
Our % (and the number of wins) was very respectable for a team that finished last. We lost so many close games in 1976 (7 of our 16 losses were by 12 points or less), and while that obviously cost us overall it helped keep the % reasonable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back