Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 62-91 Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I really, REALLY liked what I saw us trying to do in the first three quarters. We’ve been critical of our slow movement, it’s obvious that we’re trying to play on and go through the corridor, but there was no plan B when Carlton switched onto it.

That last quarter was nothing short of heartless. I’d be generous to say that more than 5 players could honestly put their hand up and say they played their role (Quaynor, Ruscoe, Noble, Mayne, De Goey and maybe Elliott).

I sincerely hope that the talk of Robert Harvey not being a genuine candidate for the job is factual. I don’t want anyone associate with the Buckley regime handling the reigns because it’ll just be more of the same.

All in all, what looked a settled side with a purpose turned into a crumbling, flailing mess in the blink of an eye.

Problem we don't have enough Smart Good Ball Users to make it work most of the Time

We are not close to ok. Our whole gamestyle is abhorrent and when picked apart we have nothing to go to except stand there like Wile E Coyote with a sign saying "Help"

It's beyond time to give Sidey a rest. He is cooked.

Sier must be in FFS.

As much as Mayne does his job, his job is part of the gamestyle that is killing us, and we need him gone before we can play effectively.

Our midfield...oh God, our midfield.

Also...I firmly believe we will not be good until Grundy's contract is gone. He is like an albatross round our necks giving us no flexibility at all. Id prefer Lynch on one third the cash and get a proper key forward.

Ive been saying it for a while, this side lacks competitive edge, game sense or any football knowledge at all and it comes from the coaches box. Dont be surprised when we win plenty of games next season after a clean out.
Nah, the list is actually putrid, full of unproven youngsters and cooked pensioners with not much in between.

They should sign Teague for 5 years, amazing performance.

But seriously, we just looked disinterested, not hungry. Can the season already.

Once Adams gets injured our midfield is cooked. Desperately need another big bodied midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You jest, but I think that's what pisses me off the most. We were on top of them completely, gave up a couple of silly free kicks at the end of the 1st and 2nd quarters, and got rolled in the second half. How?

How .. they simply ran out of gas and couldn’t keep up then with the game plan that relies on that run.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I thought today was one of our worst losses the last decade. We have lost by more obviously, but we had a senior midfield against Walsh and a band of honest triers, no Cripps, and Silvagni in ruck.

There was the usual pathetic inside 50 system, but also a lack of footy IQ numerous times, De Goey free kick late in the first quarter, not taking the quick options and going sideways until we gave up goals turning it over etc

A recurring theme is how all these 800-1m players in our midfield continually get their pants pulled down by opposition battlers when the whips are cracking.

I’m late to the party a bit but Grundy is a massive issue now. He is a liability to our future success if he is taking up so much of our cap yet not being able to beat a skinny midget in the ruck. It’s unacceptable from him and the absolute morons who still sit on our board.

Probably the most disappointing aspect of this week has been the nuffies on here telling me how our salary cap was a viable strategy. After Richmond won a flag and got Lynch, Geelong continually add pieces to always have a shot….they lap up the embarrassing crap from Paul Licuria doing the rounds lately, good bloke, but just like Rob Harvey as coach. Not up to it.

Besides the kids everyone is tradeable now. And more change needs to come at the top of the club or we are in for a very poor few years ahead.

Anything that puts the dagger further in harvey is a tick in my book.

i ******* shudder to think what we would be if he was the perm coach.

piss off back to st kilda.
Buckley built this team and game style with Harvey as his right hand man , they’re both s**t .
The sooner the season is over the better, and Derek Hine should * off too.

Team buckled as it usually does when the opposition is coming from behind. It's been a trend since the 2018 grand final.

We can only play 2 ways. We either get a decent lead and let the opposition slowly claw back the lead and either just win or lose, or we play absolutely s**t then fire hard at the end in a last ditch attempt to win.

If this team is going to progress they need a tough coach that can stamp out this s**t. Cant see us getting anywhere with another panel of soft utensils like we've had in the last 10 years.

Basic story as the past couple of years under bucks, stack the team with defenders and watch the midfield get smashed.

We’ve spent years drafting mid-sized players

- Stephenson over Naughton
- Pick for Beams not used Georgiadis

Mids can look awful with nobody to kick to.
Sure but they can also look awful when they get absolutely pulverised in the middle. Like they did today.

Lots to like in the first half with some exciting passages of play.

It all went downhill half way into the 3rd quarter. We had no answer in the last, Carlton were superior in every line; especially the midfield. We got pantsed.

Collingwood can no longer rely on Pendles and Sidebottom to lift which creates too much load for JDG and Adams. Enough said about Sidebottom... I'd like to see JDG tackle with more intent but this is just an observation; it wouldn't have made a difference today. I still get the feeling that he doesn't work with discipline when things don't fall his way.

On a positive note, we saw that Henry is a keeper and should work well in tandem with Beau. Bianco shows promise.

Thomas getting hurt seemed to knock the team balance out of whack. Poulter as his replacement was unable to impact the game. It's a long season and the first year players drop off towards the end.

I'd be tapping Harvey on the shoulder and recommending that we play the last few rounds with an eye on 2022 and beyond.

Last edited:
What a pathetic,shameful capitulation We got towelled up by an ordinary Carlton side that almost certainly won’t make the finals.I think they kicked nine of the last ten goals,which says it all.In the last quarter,one team looked like it was desperate to win,while the other one looked like it didn’t care.We of course we’re the latter.What was surprising was just how badly we capitulated in that last quarter.Not only did we never look like winning,we never actually looked like scoring either.Just pathetic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back