Round 20: The Green is back for Retro Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you guess your sizing? Normally I'm a large for ISC guernseys but they are a snug fit so wondering how Sekem sizing compares

ISC small was quite snug, so just guessed at a S, especially as Sekem go down to XS, whereas ISC only went down to S from memory

Love it!!!!
I saw the club advertise this as retro round at the Geelong game and was hoping we’d see the green again

Could this mean we could finally see the return of the 3-D anchor guernsey for retro round 2022 ? 😂😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love it!!!!
I saw the club advertise this as retro round at the Geelong game and was hoping we’d see the green again

Could this mean we could finally see the return of the 3-D anchor guernsey for retro round 2022 ? 😂😉
Please let it become reality.

Wow! Like really Wow!

...and also Owch! ...Reeeeealy big OWCH!

For some of us older folks, pics like that really need to come with an emotional trigger warning. 🤣🤣🤣

As a person with reasonable life experience, a long memory and a strong penchant for nostalgia, I really love the retro-theme - they really nailed Freo's old look.

As a communications professional and graphic designer, I am once again questioning the inherent logic of (and the connotative semiotic meanings implied by) a football team running around a field with an anchor 'round its neck. 🤔🤔🤔

As a long term Freo fan, I kinda hate the fact this jumper reminds me of all the naive optimism I had in that first year, that a Freo premiership may not be too far away....

Asaaannd as an eternal naive optimist, I also see our current list wearing that jumper for once while playing together, as:

1. a symbolic induction for them into the history of the Fremantle Football club,
  2. the passing of a baton of hope and belief this jumper once represented for me, back when the club was still brand new,
  3. An opportunity to bury some of the demons of the past that still hang around that jumper if we should win while wearing it,
  4. Or else an opportunity for the new guys to join the long list of former noble anchor-wearers who gave their all and failed, only to rise renewed the following week to confound us all again, in the event they should lose.

So yeah...

...I still really love that jumper, 'cause it really takes me back.

...but saying I have mixed feelings about it being resurrected like this (after us receiving a few decent floggings recently) is a bit of an understatement... 'cause I also remember where that jumper is actually taking me back to 😂😂😂😂

Mind you... I suppose that technically, in order to excorcise some of the demons of your past, first you need to summon them before you and confront them. For me at least, that jumper definitely does that. 😜😜😜😜😜

Go Freo!!

Also I'm pretty sure the last time we wore the green was one of our most dockery moments in history. Round 22 1997.

We needed to beat the bottom of the ladder Melbourne Demons to make the finals for the first time in our history. Of course we had an injury crisis at the time, and of course we got smashed by 10 goals. Classic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back