What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
only a week ???

I still haven't recovered.....
If it helps
Not sure if it was a joke or not, but On the Couch used the ARC to see if Libba Snr kicked a goal in the 1997 prelim and the ARC said it was a goal. :mad:

I was down for a week after that game.
only a week ???

I still haven't recovered.....
If it helps you feel better, we choked. Libba goal or not, we choked big time. Crows had eight more scoring shots. They also lost Modra during the game.

2009 prelim, different story. Four keys moments went against us that decided the game.

1. Stephen McBurney paying a free kick for dropping the ball even though Hargrave clearly got his boot to the ball. It led to a Dal Santo goal - their first goal of the match. Worse still, instead the Saints got the following centre clearance and immediately got their second goal. Sliding doors moment but had McBurney made the correct call of play on, it's probable the Saints wouldn't have scored any of those two goals.

2. Shane McInerney free kick to Matthew Mitcham before the second half officially started. Absolute piss weak decision. Not only was it not a free kick, the quarter hadn't officially started. Same rules should apply when the siren sounds to end a quarter. Any penalty should only be a fine or suspension. It has happened for over 100 years but on that night they decided to punish us despite McInerney being an extremely experienced umpire. He tried to justify his decision by claiming the siren had gone to begin the quarter when it hadn't.

3. McInerney paying deliberate against Aker which led to a Riewoldt goal to give them the lead in the final qtr. Absolutely no way in the world was that deliberate in 2009. These days it would be paid, but not back then.

4. Harbrow getting his fingers to the final goal awarded to Riewoldt. Hard for the umpires to call that touched without the luxury of having the ARC. Harbrow reckons it was touched, perhaps the ARC would have confirmed it. It would have at least given us a chance to go coast to coast in an attempt to win the match.

I was gutted. Saints were the best team all year but we were the better team that night.

Not sure if it was a joke or not, but On the Couch used the ARC to see if Libba Snr kicked a goal in the 1997 prelim and the ARC said it was a goal. :mad:

I was down for a week after that game.
How could they possibly determine that with only one camera angle??

Agree, you could probably look at it 20 year blocks, comparing todays players against ones from the 40's, 50's 60's or above is just about impossible as each was good in the conditions and style of play at that time.

If you read about, or look at video of the games from the 50's, if you put some of the so called greats from today back into a game then they'd probably struggle to last the game out, muddy wet grounds, tough players and no protection from the umpires. If they tried to do something fancy there would be a good chance that the next time they got near the ball they'd end up lying on the ground waiting for a stretcher unless they were tough enough to handle the pressure put on them.

If you put any great of today into a game 30 years ago they would run absolute ******* rings around every player on the ground. Anyone who tells me footy was a higher standard or a better spectacle back then is full of s**t, imo. Yes there wasn’t s**t free kicks but players go just as hard if not harder now

If you put any great of today into a game 30 years ago they would run absolute ******* rings around every player on the ground. Anyone who tells me footy was a higher standard or a better spectacle back then is full of sh*t, imo. Yes there wasn’t sh*t free kicks but players go just as hard if not harder now
I think it was a better spectacle in the old days imo and I'm not full of s**t imo.
I'm sure players are way fitter but coaching tactics have evolved to help win games at the expense of it being a great spectacle if you like open play, high marking and high scoring esp by key forwards imo.
From the point of view of 'better spectacles' being hard contested games and displays of fitness and skill and tactics in this era, sure I can see that.
6/10 of these are pre 1995, a bit of an indicator imo. No Kel 15:9 in there tho :oops:
https://www.ladbrokes.com.au/?a=574...-top-10-vfl-afl-games-from-the-past-50-years/

1. Stephen McBurney paying a free kick for dropping the ball even though Hargrave clearly got his boot to the ball. It led to a Dal Santo goal - their first goal of the match. Worse still, instead the Saints got the following centre clearance and immediately got their second goal. Sliding doors moment but had McBurney made the correct call of play on, it's probable the Saints wouldn't have scored any of those two goals.

That was not McBurney, that was McInerney as well.

The other major mistake by McInerney was when the ball was on the wing, there was a free kick paid at our CHB.
Rather than taking the free kick on the wing (where the ball was), McInerney paid it at CHB.
Shaggy took the kick, ball turned over and St Kilda scored a goal

If it helps

If it helps you feel better, we choked. Libba goal or not, we choked big time. Crows had eight more scoring shots. They also lost Modra during the game.

2009 prelim, different story. Four keys moments went against us that decided the game.

2. Shane McInerney free kick to Matthew Mitcham before the second half officially started. Absolute piss weak decision. Not only was it not a free kick, the quarter hadn't officially started. Same rules should apply when the siren sounds to end a quarter. Any penalty should only be a fine or suspension. It has happened for over 100 years but on that night they decided to punish us despite McInerney being an extremely experienced umpire. He tried to justify his decision by claiming the siren had gone to begin the quarter when it hadn't.

3. McInerney paying deliberate against Aker which led to a Riewoldt goal to give them the lead in the final qtr. Absolutely no way in the world was that deliberate in 2009. These days it would be paid, but not back then.

4. Harbrow getting his fingers to the final goal awarded to Riewoldt. Hard for the umpires to call that touched without the luxury of having the ARC. Harbrow reckons it was touched, perhaps the ARC would have confirmed it. It would have at least given us a chance to go coast to coast in an attempt to win the match.

I was gutted. Saints were the best team all year but we were the better team that night.
What about Captain Collapse' dive for a goal before the start of ? last quarter?
Doesn't make me feel better that we choked in 97 :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was a better spectacle in the old days imo and I'm not full of sh*t imo.
I'm sure players are way fitter but coaching tactics have evolved to help win games at the expense of it being a great spectacle if you like open play, high marking and high scoring esp by key forwards imo.
From the point of view of 'better spectacles' being hard contested games and displays of fitness and skill and tactics in this era, sure I can see that.
6/10 of these are pre 1995, a bit of an indicator imo. No Kel 15:9 in there tho :oops:
https://www.ladbrokes.com.au/?a=574...-top-10-vfl-afl-games-from-the-past-50-years/
Fair call Foss, didn’t mean any offence by the full of s**t comment. Each to their own and probably depends what we all grew up with I guess as I grew up with modern footy. Idk watching highlights and old games now no doubt there was some seriously talented players but I feel the standard overall was a lot lower and people tend to look back with rose coloured glasses when they talk about the past. No doubt modern coaches employ some pretty defensive tactics but the overall skill level these days is crazy

Fair call Foss, didn’t mean any offence by the full of sh*t comment. Each to their own and probably depends what we all grew up with I guess as I grew up with modern footy. Idk watching highlights and old games now no doubt there was some seriously talented players but I feel the standard overall was a lot lower and people tend to look back with rose coloured glasses when they talk about the past. No doubt modern coaches employ some pretty defensive tactics but the overall skill level these days is crazy
Hah yeah I was thinking bit like music, depends what you grew up with. Modern era is actually doing ok in that list when you think about it I guess :p

I wasn't old enough to understand footy by the time Hawkins retired, so I can't comment on him. Grant's had the better career so far, but the gap is closing rapidly and I expect Bont overtakes him quite soon to be perfectly honest.

Bont is already a 3x B+F by the age of 24, while Grant was twice over his career
Bont has made 3x AA, while Grant was 3x in his career
Both captains

Of course, some awards have not been around that long, but Bont has already been named ALFCA champion (and is very likely to be again this year), so could soon be only the second person to win more than once (GAJ winning 3 in a row). I expect Grant would have won it at least once (if not twice) in his career, but impossible to know.

I won't go into premiership credentials as it's not a fair comparison for players, but in terms of individual accolades if Bont wins the Brownlow this year I think it's pretty fair to say he's at least matched Grant, if not surpassed him.

By end of year, Bont could be 4x B+F, 4x AA, 2x AFLCA champion, Brownlow medalist, all at the age of 25.
Hawkins before he did his knee in 1986 was something special and Granty ata young age was a collusas but I dont believe we have ever had a player who has impacted our wins in so many games like Bont has

Yeah, Grant, West, Johnno - and Dougy in a golden era of wingmen - were always rated down in comparison to the high profile club champs. Bont is firmly on the pedestal this year. Some weeks he’s got media votes just for being him. Interesting how the umps are influenced by that or not.

And the players…..hasn’t really made it in The AFLPA award yet. Coaches see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The AFLPA award is the one I take least notice of. For a start some players do not see the oppo players more than once a year or less if their are injuries. It’s much more open to bias or simply not full analysis than any award

This is gold. Where does it come from, please? Can we get one for the 2016 GF? :tongueoutv1:

Don't have the live feed but here is the breakdown for those interested, the difference was high tackle and holding the ball which we won 13-3...

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 1.08.38 pm.png

Holding the man, push in the back, high tackle, run too far, deliberate, throw, centre bound infringement, block, holding the ball, after disposal, kicking in danger, trip, other

A geelong with a fit Dangerfield and Guthrie in the midfield, Tom Stewart down back and Hawkins and Rohan up forward deserve to be favourites.

I don't think we fear them though. We can beat them for pace and getting the hard ball with Dunkley back the side, and they're one side who won't trounce us in the ruck.

I wouldn't want to play against them without Keath being able to take on Hawkins though.
Yeah nah

A Dogs team with a fit Dunkley,Trealor, Martin and Keath deserve to be favourites

Not having an opinion is far better than having an opinion that relies on poor and incomplete evidence.
You don't have to participate in the debate if you don't have the information available to have an informed opinion.
Calm down mate

He gave you his opinion and had some analysis to back it up no need to disparage it I. This way just because it’s not yours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back