Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

when drafting, BFNAAK should be given equal weighting as talent. I hear them say they go for north once and that’s me convinced, don’t need to see any footage.

Yeah but the ones we draft turn into duds - ie trotter and the ones we don’t draft ie roughy (hawks) turn into stars

Cannons talent manager Matt Burton said Goater was starting to show what he was truly capable of.

“It’s no secret that Josh’s athletic and footballing ability is really high. He’s a freakish talent,” Burton said.

“He’s got a lot of time with ball in hand, he can create things in tight and he’s really athletic in terms of his vertical (leap) and agility.

“Josh has got to put the work in to get the best out of himself because the talent is definitely there.

“His selection hasn’t come by luck or chance, he certainly deserves to be at the level and we’ve got a lot of faith that he’ll start to blossom as a footballer.”

Last edited:
I think we'll beat Richmond and Adelaide.

I'd be forgetting about Horne. I'd also suggest the fact we can/should do this is a good thing.

Don’t disagree but it’s not only Horne we will be giving up it’s also a shot at luring an uncontracted player to fill a need at the PSD.

The rebuild could almost be complete if we finish last .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannons talent manager Matt Burton said Goater was starting to show what he was truly capable of.

“It’s no secret that Josh’s athletic and footballing ability is really high. He’s a freakish talent,” Burton said.

“He’s got a lot of time with ball in hand, he can create things in tight and he’s really athletic in terms of his vertical (leap) and agility.

“Josh has got to put the work in to get the best out of himself because the talent is definitely there.

“His selection hasn’t come by luck or chance, he certainly deserves to be at the level and we’ve got a lot of faith that he’ll start to blossom as a footballer.”

I dont ask for much North but please make it happen!..

I think what czero meant, was that morale was sky high even when winless. This group is tight win,lose or draw, so let's rotate kids with an eye for having the best off season we can get.

Long term, a few losses next few rounds will not be detriment, but may be an extra bit of currency come trade, draft period.

Could get Ben Brown's value or more. Probably much more by trading down pick 1 or 2...

No one wants to trade out a cunnington, and rightly so, but clubs go to that very length just to improve their draft hand.

The pro tank click is saying. Hey, keep cunnington....but drop a few games for a similar benefit.
Correct.

Of course everyone wants to win a game, I want to win the grand final and keep winning it, not just a couple of dead rubbers (which is now season 2021).

So since its not going to harm us, and since no coach or player is really going to cop it this year from the media due to our losses, it just makes clear sense to play all our kids for 4 games.

High draft picks MATTER. More than a handful of dead rubbers we should be using to put games into our kids with anyway.

Don’t disagree but it’s not only Horne we will be giving up it’s also a shot at luring an uncontracted player to fill a need at the PSD.

The rebuild could almost be complete if we finish last .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If we finish last it means we’ve lost to an out of form, depleted Richmond, and a very s**t team in the Crows. If this is the case we’re going to need way more than Horne and a PSD.

If we win 3 of our last 4, then our rebuild is close.

Stop wanting us to lose. It’s stupid.

High draft picks MATTER. More than a handful of dead rubbers we should be using to put games into our kids with anyway.

High picks do matter but really, look at the most recent dominant team in Richmond. Yeah, sure they have some high picks, but really it was a squad that had excellent defensive culture and everyone bought in. Dusty was pick 3, Riewoltd pick 8 (I think?) and the rest were pretty much mid first rounders, but they were really well developed.

You start winning, with a good culture, and dudes like Lynch say 'I'll come to your team, win a flag and finish top 5 in the Coleman for a few years and extend the life of your aging stars'.

While I've been big on tanking for Horne.
Callaghan reads as exactly what we need.

Dad was a running athlete and he idolises josh kelly...

If the rumours about us heavily pursuing/locking in Josh Kelly are true, then I can't see us grabbing a midfielder with our first 2 picks in this draft.

If we end up snagging Kelly then I think realistic options at our first rounders are basically limited to Callaghan, Sinn (with an eye to play them off a back flank) and Gibcus (key position defender). Goater is an outside chance as a back/forward flanker but Callaghan and Sinn project as much better back flankers.

This is based on looking at who I'd personally have as top 5 picks right now. Of course someone like Amiss, Andrew, Williams or some other non-mid could move into top 5 contention by the end of the season and we could be talking about them. I'm a pretty big fan of Wilmot but have him sitting at #8 currently so taking him with a top 3 pick in an open draft is a bit of a reach.

An argument could be made that guys like Cunnington, Anderson and Dumont, who regularly get midfield time, will leave (Dumont if you believe the rumours) or retire in the next 3-4 years which will make way for any mids we might be picking up in the draft this year. It's also never a bad thing to have really good depth in the midfield position - I'd just hate to lose guys we've picked up via the draft because they're not getting opportunity (thinking of guys like Constable, Narkle, Lipinski who find themselves in this position at the moment and Josh Kennedy + Tom Mitchell + Jarryd Lyons in previous years)

Last edited:
If the rumours about us heavily pursuing/locking in Josh Kelly are true, then I can't see us grabbing a midfielder with our first 2 picks in this draft.

If we end up snagging Kelly then I think realistic options at our first rounders are basically limited to Callaghan, Sinn (with an eye to play them off a back flank) and Gibcus (key position defender). Goater is an outside chance as a back/forward flanker but Callaghan and Sinn project as much better back flankers.

This is based on looking at who I'd personally have as top 5 picks right now. Of course someone like Amiss, Andrew, Williams or some other non-mid could move into top 5 contention by the end of the season and we could be talking about them. I'm a pretty big fan of Wilmot but have him sitting at #8 currently so taking him with a top 3 pick in an open draft is a bit of a reach.

An argument could be made that guys like Cunnington, Anderson and Dumont, who regularly get midfield time, will leave (Dumont if you believe the rumours) or retire in the next 3-4 years which will make way for any mids we might be picking up in the draft this year. It's also never a bad thing to have really good depth in the midfield position - I'd just hate to lose guys we've picked up via the draft because they're not getting opportunity (thinking of guys like Constable, Narkle, Lipinski who find themselves in this position at the moment and Josh Kennedy + Tom Mitchell + Jarryd Lyons in previous years)

Souup, a question as you are experienced in the drafting of the u18’s.
Most of the kids drafted are playing as midfielders for their teams in their drafts years but most will not play as midfielders in the AFL system.
How do you recognise a kid who plays midfield but you draft them to play back or forward? Is it a hunch or you see some traits in their play

Drop the phantom you dog

Looks like Twomey has made the change. In the last Road to the draft podcast, he mentioned after the top 20.

ICL_EDT_2021_59912_Form-Guide-strips_July-2021_1024x150_24.jpg

Forward
176cm/74kg
23/11/03
South Fremantle/Western Australia

It was an exciting senior debut for Motlop two weeks ago in the WAFL, with the son of former Kangaroos and Port Adelaide forward Daniel kicking two goals from 10 disposals and six marks. He kicked one last weekend against Subiaco, but is considered a talented small forward who is crafty around goal. Motlop is eligible to join Fremantle under the Next Generation Academy rules but only if a bid comes outside of the first 40 selections under NGA rules for metropolitan Indigenous players in Western Australia and South Australia.

Souup, a question as you are experienced in the drafting of the u18’s.
Most of the kids drafted are playing as midfielders for their teams in their drafts years but most will not play as midfielders in the AFL system.
How do you recognise a kid who plays midfield but you draft them to play back or forward? Is it a hunch or you see some traits in their play

You've got to weigh up their strengths against their weaknesses from an attribute and athletic point of view, but also obviously taking into account whether they've played in other positions before and how they went.

Ben Hobbs this year is a good example of a guy that is a pure midfielder in my mind. My reasoning would be:
+ Great accumulator
+ Excellent stoppage and clearance player
+ Good spread from the contest
+ Lays good defensive pressure
+ Great footy IQ
- Not a great mark
- On the short side which limits defensive versatility (182cm)
- Not a stand-out athlete (if he had a good leap or was quick it would in some way make up for his height)
- Kicking isn't anything special (often if they're a very good kick you can overlook poor defensive skills knowing that they'll make up for it with ball use at this level)
- No real experience playing anywhere but midfield

He's a very good footballer but the argument will be that he has a limited scope for development due to a lack of versatility and no stand-out athletic traits. He's an absolute ripper though and arguably the best inside midfielder in this draft.

Finn Callaghan + Josh Sinn on the other hand (They're actually quite similar players, with Callaghan having shown more midfield ability to this stage and Sinn being a better back flanker in my opinion)
+ Both great size (Callaghan 189cm, Sinn 186cm)
+ Both sub 3sec 20m sprint
+ Solid vertical leaps (mid-high 80cm for both)
+ Both have experience playing well off a back flank (having experience in a position in the past is the best indicator to whether you can do it at AFL level obviously)
+ Solid footskills + kicking technique which will improve in an AFL environment

Drop the phantom you dog

Fight me

(I'll put a 30-deep one out later this week if people actually care)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back