News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely he doesn’t just get a walk up start to afl ?
really shows the culture of the club has gone to sh*t!!

Willie should be made to earn it, if that’s with a wafl game and a long hard pre season then so be it!!
If anything he's worked extremely hard to get back, despite being treated like garbage by the AFL. The way he was left in the dark about his future and hung out to dry was disgusting. It's a wonder he didn't say "* it" and throw the towel in.

Instead, he got fit, worked hard and has presented himself ready to play. Don't let the airport slip up taint your view of him, in fact it was a wake up call he needed and more importantly heeded.

If our so called "best 22" responded to the many wake up calls we have had throughout the season in the same manner that Willie responded to his, we would all be fired up and ready to go in September, fresh from a top 4 finish.

Been watching us the last few weeks? Hell, all of 2021?

I’m looking at it from more of a discipline point of view.
Imagine what sort of message it sends to a Johnson or Jamieson who are yet to debut and have put in the hard yards all year!

Yet someone who has been getting paid to do jack s**t for the last two years and done the wrong thing multiple times just gets gifted a game.

I’d be really disappointed if he gets named this Week, would be a really bad look.
But again we are talking about Wce here, were making players feel comfortable and happy are their number one priority!!

If anything he's worked extremely hard to get back, despite being treated like garbage by the AFL. The way he was left in the dark about his future and hung out to dry was disgusting. It's a wonder he didn't say "fu** it" and throw the towel in.

Instead, he got fit, worked hard and has presented himself ready to play. Don't let the airport slip up taint your view of him, in fact it was a wake up call he needed and more importantly heeded.

If our so called "best 22" responded to the many wake up calls we have had throughout the season in the same manner that Willie responded to his, we would all be fired up and ready to go in September, fresh from a top 4 finish.

sorry mate I completely disagree with you,
Keep in mind he was still getting paid good coin while keeping fit.
He has done the wrong thing twice now!!
He is lucky to still be on the list, let alone worrying about playing this week.
He has a lot of respect to be earn’t back in my books.

Is this really the culture we want to be instilling in the club ?

He is lucky to still be on the list, let alone worrying about playing this week.

So you don't want to play the guy who's getting paid good coin? Don't complain about how much he's been getting paid and then say you don't want him to play once he's finally available

If anything he's worked extremely hard to get back, despite being treated like garbage by the AFL. The way he was left in the dark about his future and hung out to dry was disgusting. It's a wonder he didn't say "fu** it" and throw the towel in.

Rioli wasnt the victim here. He should have got the full 4 years… and he then escaped punishment for the next drug stuff up by a limp wristed footy club… No wonder the players feel they can perform how they want with no fall back or threat of being dropped. having to work for his spot back for the next 6 months should be the minimum he should expect to have to do…. Again since his return the bottom fell out of our year.. probably coincidence but who knows?

So you don't want to play the guy who's getting paid good coin? Don't complain about how much he's been getting paid and then say you don't want him to play once he's finally available

most ridiculous comment I think I’ve ever seen haha.

My quote was taken completely out of context and your argument is completely invalid.

HE MUST BE MADE TO EARN IT!!!!

The Collingwood board is down the road, may suit your IQ level a bit more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rioli wasnt the victim here. He should have got the full 4 years… and he then escaped punishment for the next drug stuff up by a limp wristed footy club… No wonder the players feel they can perform how they want with no fall back or threat of being dropped. having to work for his spot back for the next 6 months should be the minimum he should expect to have to do…. Again since his return the bottom fell out of our year.. probably coincidence but who knows?

Spot on mate, couldn’t have said it better myself!!
No coincidence at all between our piss poor on field performance and player selection.

Our coaching staff and upper management really need to grow a back bone and lay down the law day one of pre season!!

This is a shell of the team I grew up supporting,

Good chunk of the current 22 not earning their spot, don’t see why Willie should have to. Seriously though, if he’s fit, he plays, that’s just the way it is with your best players, especially when we’re still a slim chance of making finals. Can’t hurt for his off season too, to get a taste of what he was missing, and head down for pre season, and hit 2022 with some enthusiasm. Rather than the expectation of playing your first game back in round 1, after months of talk about it leading up to the season opener. Seems a no brainer to get it out of the way now, in what will likely be a dead rubber, last game of the season

I thought he wasn’t being paid while suspended, but was getting a bit of financial assistance.

My quote was taken completely out of context and your argument is completely invalid.

And yet you say say guys yet to debut should get a game because "they've put in the hard yards". I've put in the hard yards, can I get a game too?

Literally half the side has been rubbish this year and still get selected. Final game of the year, a game we all know we're gonna lose anyway, so whatever. I wouldn't have selected him cos knowing our luck with injuries this year he'll ping a hammy in the first quarter and that'll be it. But since it's the last game, might as well give him a go, he's a better option than most who fill that position, 700+ days without playing a game or not.

Surely he doesn’t just get a walk up start to afl ?
really shows the culture of the club has gone to sh*t!!

Willie should be made to earn it, if that’s with a wafl game and a long hard pre season then so be it!!
Nope tell half the squad to earn their spot first. Every heard of earning your spot during training??

You are the biggest conspiracy person here in regards to rioli. Hey guess what rioli is returning and based of that interview will be on the path to leadership as soon as you know it.

Last edited:
Bit harsh to tell him he has to earn selection in the WAFL when he hasn’t been allowed to play WAFL.

If he’s done everything required of him since returning to the club in June and if his form and fitness warrant AFL selection, he should be selected.

Really shows where we're at as a club when Willie is a walk-up start after 2 years out of the game and multiple *-ups. It just continues the theme of sending a horrible message to all the non-best 22 players that it doesn't matter how bad you play or how long you've been out of the game, as long as you have 'credits' in the eyes of the match committee you'll be selected. Just keep on breeding that complacency...

Happy he's back, but geez..

Really shows where we're at as a club when Willie is a walk-up start after 2 years out of the game and multiple fu**-ups. It just continues the theme of sending a horrible message to all the non-best 22 players that it doesn't matter how bad you play or how long you've been out of the game, as long as you have 'credits' in the eyes of the match committee you'll be selected. Just keep on breeding that complacency...

Happy he's back, but geez..

Yeah it does show where we are at. A drug filled manic as you described was easily able to take the spot of spud. What a disgrace the squad has become. Maybe be made at the rest of the team

It shows a good message alright. Don't be s**t or rioli will take your spot

No he shouldn't have gotten 4 years you internet lawyer. He gotten 2 years and that what he deserved. Imagine telling the people that write the laws what they should have gotten.

If your such a talented lawyer send your resume to be part of the wada

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back