Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely those two but Henderson and Rohan would be on the chopping block too I’d think. Stanley and Kolodjashnij are another two but I think the later still has several years of his contract left

Stanley is a whipping boy but has generally been really good since the last time he was recalled. He was ordinary tonight but I actually don’t mind him. Kolo is good for a couple of absolute howlers per game but was actually ok tonight compared to a few others. I would spear Henderson too but I have a feeling he was resigned a while back when he was playing well. He has been pretty good this year in his defence but * he was bad tonight

The real question to ask is for how long do they carry Dangerfield? It's a bit of the Emperor's New Clothes about him. His DE is poor, his influence on finals lessening greatly

After his gastro scare he made it through without pooing his white shorts. He should be proud of that

Higgins would be first out for me and Dahlhaus not far behind. His role isn’t to win a lot of ball but he just gets none of it when the game is high pressure

Those two are shizen and have been all year. Isaac smith has been better than expected, I thought he was pretty much done leaving hawthorn. Cameron is still a very good pickup but it's looking shaky with his injury concerns this year and what it cost to get him.

Also how much Gary Rohan do you want to put up with?

Those two are shizen and have been all year. Isaac smith has been better than expected, I thought he was pretty much done leaving hawthorn. Cameron is still a very good pickup but it's looking shaky with his injury concerns this year and what it cost to get him.

He’s the worst of the lot because every time he’s written off he plays a good game and sucks everyone back in again

The real question to ask is for how long do they carry Dangerfield? It's a bit of the Emperor's New Clothes about him. His DE is poor, his influence on finals lessening greatly
Honestly I can’t stand the guy and I’m thankful he kept us in the finals during the 2016-2019 period but damn I’d wish he’d retire. He’s nothing more than a burst player and it’s like twice a game these days and does nothing else. Looks completely finished and I’d rather that than the alternative, totally uninterested playing during covid times and doing it for a salary.

And man I also gotta give up smoking joints because this post is how I feel yet it’s almost definitely wrong but it doesn’t feel wrong.

Honestly I can’t stand the guy and I’m thankful he kept us in the finals during the 2016-2019 period but damn I’d wish he’d retire. He’s nothing more than a burst player and it’s like twice a game these days and does nothing else. Looks completely finished and I’d rather that than the alternative, totally uninterested playing during covid times and doing it for a salary.

And man I also gotta give up smoking joints because this post is how I feel yet it’s almost definitely wrong but it doesn’t feel wrong.

He got sonned by Ollie wines tonight. Danger's time has been and gone. Was never the most highly skilled players, he relied heavily on his amazing athleticism. Once that started to go he's done. The amount of bursting forward hack kicks he does into the forward 50 over his career is something to behold..still a very good player but this is what's stopped him being an all time great.

Higgins would be first out for me and Dahlhaus not far behind. His role isn’t to win a lot of ball but he just gets none of it when the game is high pressure
Dahlhaus has been dialing it in for a long time dude. still some quality on the list but I dont know why Dahlhaus has consistently been given a pass to be average

Red lines - delist/retire

Green lines - trade/pick bait

No lines - keep

Reset and plan for success 4 years from now. Get a head start early.

View attachment 1219162
Close was one of their best players tonight. Stewart and Hawkins were just AA. Dangerfield also wouldn't leave he loves living around that area. Guthrie is an UFA I believe? Miers is also crap so not sure why they wouldn't try and trade him.

Close was one of their best players tonight. Stewart and Hawkins were just AA. Dangerfield also wouldn't leave he loves living around that area. Guthrie is an UFA I believe? Miers is also crap so not sure why they wouldn't try and trade him.

If they don't win it this year, then it's clear they're not gonna be doing much soon - so it is imperative to get as much as you can from players that aren't going to be around 4 or more years from now.

Thus, Stewart - who I highlighted as green btw - would gather some coin in terms of picks, which can be used for drafting or as trade bait for some young guns.

Hawkins is overachieving tbh, and at 34 next year, not a lot of teams would be willing to take a punt that his form from 2019/2020 (which he was AA in as well) continues. I could be wrong. But I think Hawkins is the type to retire as a one-club player than to risk falling at a different team. Bachar was also AA in 2019, and is now retired, so. He saw fit to leave when the time was right.

Dangerfield is different in the sense that he is younger, and wasn't a one-club player, probably respects club enough to concede that his presence wouldn't be much use to a Cats side in the next few years - and probably is chasing a flag himself, which has more of a chance to get than Hawkins.

It's just time to bite the bullet, and think ahead. You can get a lot of picks/trade bait for those players and really build a list. If they don't win it this year.

If they don't win it this year, then it's clear they're not gonna be doing much soon - so it is imperative to get as much as you can from players that aren't going to be around 4 or more years from now.

Thus, Stewart - who I highlighted as green btw - would gather some coin in terms of picks, which can be used for drafting or as trade bait for some young guns.

Hawkins is overachieving tbh, and at 34 next year, not a lot of teams would be willing to take a punt that his form from 2019/2020 (which he was AA in as well) continues. I could be wrong. But I think Hawkins is the type to retire as a one-club player than to risk falling at a different team. Bachar was also AA in 2019, and is now retired, so. He saw fit to leave when the time was right.

Dangerfield is different in the sense that he is younger, and wasn't a one-club player, probably respects club enough to concede that his presence wouldn't be much use to a Cats side in the next few years - and probably is chasing a flag himself, which has more of a chance to get than Hawkins.

It's just time to bite the bullet, and think ahead. You can get a lot of picks/trade bait for those players and really build a list. If they don't win it this year.
I could handle Stewart in another teams colours although hope to never see it but if the Cats ever pushed him out in say a Treloar fashion I’d honestly give footy up. He epitomises how a lot of us feel about our footy club and what it resembles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opposition teams should come hard for Henry. He is their best player under 25 by a mile and is worth a big contract.

But Geelong's biggest problem is the loss of Stephen Wells; it is as significant as Hawthorn sacking Clarkson.

No Club with Finals aspirations would consider Rohan.

Zero. Never wanted him at the club to begin with. I don't care how many 9 possession, 3 goals (2 from handpasses over the top, followed by aggressive fist pump to the crowd) "blinders" he plays against Gold Coast or Fremantle. He is utter trash anytime pressure is around. I was dismissively told - by Geelong supporters - that it's what he does when he doesn't have the ball that makes him so valuable apparently. Sure looked like it tonight.

Should be the very first player delisted. Shooting by firing squad would also be acceptable by you can't have everything.

Have now lost 3 of their last 4 and we’re on the ropes against the Saints too. And either going to face pace from the Swans or sheer brutality from GWS. Big worries.

Almost like it's a long season and with more 30+ players than any team in history they'd start to feel the pinch as it wears on, and the output of those veterans would drop.

Good thing that's not happening.

Lonie would be a better fit for the Cats.

Pure crumber at the feet of Hawkins and Cameron.

I could handle Stewart in another teams colours although hope to never see it but if the Cats ever pushed him out in say a Treloar fashion I’d honestly give footy up. He epitomises how a lot of us feel about our footy club and what it resembles.

Fair enough, sometimes it is good for the culture to hold onto certain players regardless of age. But you want the majority of your outs to outweigh the existing.

You don't necessarily have to push out everyone, but the more, the better. Because you can spring back in 3 or 4 years rather than languish for 8 or more.

Their last month leading into finals has been a real concern. They beat North by 3 goals, went down to the Giants at Kardinia Park, beat the Saints at home with game level at 3 quarter time and then steamrolled by Melbourne after dominating them into the 3rd quarter.

Indications are they are cooked. Stewart is a huge loss. Dangerfield is a fraction of the player when it comes to finals.

Cats normally come out and win their 2nd finals games. Not sure this time around. Their form simply isn't holding up over the last 5 weeks to pick them with any degree of confidence.

No we can't.
Port Adelaide will do what they did to us last year. We spank them early in the year. Gain a false sense of expectation then get bullied in and around the contest as clanger king's Blicavs, Kolo and Atkins hand Port's smalls a nice early lead.

Selwood will go kamikaze mode and dive head first into everything, drawing free kicks to the outburst of many before Dangerfield feels a tweak of his calf and has to move to the forward pocket. Geelong now have to rely on Guthrie and Menegola to step it up in Danger's absence and this is when you will see Port's midfield win crucial contested possessions as we lose our way and go down by 34 points.

Nostradamus!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back