Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The season is over for Victorian prospects, with the AFL cancelling the end of the metropolitan NAB League as well as plans for the under-19 carnival to be played in Melbourne which was scheduled for later this month in conjunction with a national NAB AFL Draft Combine.

The League had hoped it could play at least one more game for two Vic Metro and Vic Country squads but the state's latest COVID-19 lockdown extension has seen that ruled out due to the training and preparation required ahead of a game.

Need to improve our draft hand by #tradingladhams

Why?

There’s barely any players in this draft I prefer over Ladhams.

It’s looking like a weak draft and the lack of exposure and gametime is a concern.

If anything I would prefer to trade even further out of this draft.

Our draft pick in the late teens could end up being a real crap shoot.

If we had of gotten a look at hayes at afl level maybe we could move on Ladhams for something (a high end young player) but we didn’t. And Ladhams second half of the year showed improvement.

the concession is that our list really needs a young centre square mid and a young key defender and it would be nice to add them in this draft but the right players might not be at our early pick.

2 out of every 3 years pundits roll out the old "It's not a good draft this year" line.

Invariably, you will still see a handful of stars and a dozen or more pretty good standard types in the first 30 picks, plus the òdd gem late that surpises everyone.

Dont trade out of the draft this year. Reckon if we can trade out someone who is struggling to get a regular senior gig here, but may flourish elsewhere, then try to pick up another pick in the early/mid second round this year instead.

I don't think I would trade into this draft but I certainly wouldn't trade out of it unless there was a significant prize on offer. Yes there is a lot of uncertainty around the crop this year, but pick 16/17/18 is just about the best place to pick with a lot of uncertainty. There will be guys who slide this year due to a lack of exposed form and those could be some of the best players in the draft! It's more likely the best player in the draft will be taken later this year than other years.

Also being in need of a midfielder there are so many solid midfield options that will be available at our pick.

My thoughts on the Championships game.

SA

As has been pointed out the SA midfield in the first half was abysmal. Horne-Francis was awful, he was getting extremely wide of the contest and his man was getting first hands on the ball pretty regularly. Roberts was anonymous. Liddy was the pick of the bunch but was still pretty well beaten. The SA ruckman got mauled by South.

It wasn't until a bit later in the game when the magnets were shifted that the game started to equalise. I thought when Draper was sent into the midfield SA looked quite a bit better and I thought he actually was quite good defensively. Horne-Francis looked extremely dangerous up forward. His decision making forward 50 is elite... I think he will start his career as a very handy half forward. Roberts went behind the ball and did a solid job as a Nick Vlastuin type sweeper. I'm never very impressed when players get sent behind the ball and all of a suddenly look decent (AKA the Chayce Jones effect). Of all the big names I think I was most disappointed with Roberts... looks a bit SANFLish and I think at best he might find a role as a Vlastuin/Jack Graham type in the AFL. Seems like a bit of a Richmond pick.

Wanganeen-Milera is a jet. Ball use is exceptional. Evasion is elite. Courageous. I don't think we need him but is a very good prospect.

I thought Lukac showed a few signs with his athleticism in the ruck. Rayson was alright.

Burgoyne was alright. He carried the ball a bit more than he usually does and looked better for it. His hands and evasion/agility are elite and that's his differentiator. I also think he is a reasonably defender for his size and build. His kicking still disappoints me greatly. The most frustrating thing he does is that he will spot up a really good leading target option and then under hit the kick by 2 metres so it land at the guys feet instead of the chest...he does this all the TIME. Put some oomph on the ball Jase!

Everyone else for SA was pretty unremarkable or very poor.

WA

Had a real workman like midfield combined with some class with Johnson. Johnson feels a bit like a Port Adelaide type of player. Loves the corridor 45 degree kick and more often than not hits it. Nice size and can stand up in a tackle and take a grab. Would be a decent option at our pick if available I reckon. Dittmar, Tunstill and Sheldrick all battled hard but not the most flashy types.

Lots of value in the WA talls this year I reckon. Amiss is clearly a gun and will go top 10 or around the mark. van Rooyen and Bazzo both looked really strong, albeit against a very mediocre opposition. Not sure these guys are appropriate for our pick, but look like good options for Port given what we need. Maybe an opportunity to trade into the draft to get a look at them if they are available late second round. Williams also looks good... I feel he would be a decent pick for Port if we hadn't picked up Lord last year. Even South, Regan and Benning looked solid.

Corey Warner is a likely type as well. Real direct footballer, runs hard and kicks long. Perhaps would come unstuck in the world of intercept markers but was certainly effective in this game.

2 out of every 3 years pundits roll out the old "It's not a good draft this year" line.

Invariably, you will still see a handful of stars and a dozen or more pretty good standard types in the first 30 picks, plus the òdd gem late that surpises everyone.

Dont trade out of the draft this year. Reckon if we can trade out someone who is struggling to get a regular senior gig here, but may flourish elsewhere, then try to pick up another pick in the early/mid second round this year instead.
The other thing is that we want as many quality players in the same age bracket as Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Drew, Bergman, Gerogiades etc. as we can get.

God its getting time consuming writing that list and doing it justice :)

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Freo supporter but lives in Adelaide Chris25 gives his top 30:

1. Jason Horne-Francis (184cm, 78kg from SA)
2. Nick Daicos (183cm, 72kg from Vic Metro)
3. Neil Erasmus (188cm, 80kg from WA)
4. Finn Callaghan (189cm, 82kg from Vic Metro)
5. Matthew Roberts (184cm, 80kg from SA)
6. Sam Darcy (204cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
7. Josh Ward (181cm, 79kg from Vic Metro)
8. Josh Sinn (186cm, 73kg from Vic Metro)
9. Arlo Draper (186cm, 75kg from SA)
10. Ben Hobbs (183cm, 80kg from Vic Country)

11. Tyler Sonsie (181cm, 77kg from Vic Metro)
12. Jye Amiss (195cm, 83kg from WA)
13. Matthew Johnson (192cm, 80kg from WA)
14. Mitch Knevitt (193cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
15. Josh Gibcus (195cm, 84kg from Vic Country)
16. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (188cm, 70kg from SA)
17. Jacob van Rooyen (194cm, 88kg from WA)
18. Darcy Wilmot (183cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
19. Mac Andrew (200cm, 70kg from Vic Country)
20. Josh Goater (190cm, 79kg from Vic Country)

21. Josh Rachele (180cm, 78kg from Vic Country)
22. Leek Alleer (196cm, 84kg from SA)
23. Joshua Browne (185cm, 77kg from WA)
24. Campbell Chesser (186cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
25. Jack Williams (195cm, 91kg from WA)
26. Ned Long (192cm, 88kg from Vic Metro)
27. Rhett Bazzo (195cm, 81kg from WA)
28. Jase Burgoyne (186cm, 65kg from SA)
29. Josh Fahey (186cm, 76kg from GWS)
30. Jesse Motlop (176cm, 74kg from WA)

Also being in need of a midfielder there are so many solid midfield options that will be available at our pick.
We do need a genuine centre mid to add to our developing list but the ones we would want I suspect go before pick 15..

There will be guys who slide this year due to a lack of exposed form and those could be some of the best players in the draft! It's more likely the best player in the draft will be taken later this year than other years.
yeah there always is… which team lands the diamond in the rough is anyone’s guess though. I don’t think they’ll be more diamonds in this draft though..

Lots of value in the WA talls this year I reckon. Amiss is clearly a gun and will go top 10 or around the mark. van Rooyen and Bazzo both looked really strong, albeit against a very mediocre opposition.
I’m a fan of bazzo. Has been a highly rated key defender for a while who has been moved forward this year and attention has moved away from him. In the champs game he wasn’t dominant but I really liked the way he moved. He’s mobile, long, a decent kick for his size and reads the ball alright from the little I’ve seen.

Also fits a list need for us.

My idea would be to wait draft day and if a sliding mid we like is there for us take him but if not then to trade back 5-10 places in the draft and take bazzo (if he will last there which I have no idea)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo supporter but lives in Adelaide Chris25 gives his top 30:

1. Jason Horne-Francis (184cm, 78kg from SA)
2. Nick Daicos (183cm, 72kg from Vic Metro)
3. Neil Erasmus (188cm, 80kg from WA)
4. Finn Callaghan (189cm, 82kg from Vic Metro)
5. Matthew Roberts (184cm, 80kg from SA)
6. Sam Darcy (204cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
7. Josh Ward (181cm, 79kg from Vic Metro)
8. Josh Sinn (186cm, 73kg from Vic Metro)
9. Arlo Draper (186cm, 75kg from SA)
10. Ben Hobbs (183cm, 80kg from Vic Country)

11. Tyler Sonsie (181cm, 77kg from Vic Metro)
12. Jye Amiss (195cm, 83kg from WA)
13. Matthew Johnson (192cm, 80kg from WA)
14. Mitch Knevitt (193cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
15. Josh Gibcus (195cm, 84kg from Vic Country)
16. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (188cm, 70kg from SA)
17. Jacob van Rooyen (194cm, 88kg from WA)
18. Darcy Wilmot (183cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
19. Mac Andrew (200cm, 70kg from Vic Country)
20. Josh Goater (190cm, 79kg from Vic Country)

21. Josh Rachele (180cm, 78kg from Vic Country)
22. Leek Alleer (196cm, 84kg from SA)
23. Joshua Browne (185cm, 77kg from WA)
24. Campbell Chesser (186cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
25. Jack Williams (195cm, 91kg from WA)
26. Ned Long (192cm, 88kg from Vic Metro)
27. Rhett Bazzo (195cm, 81kg from WA)
28. Jase Burgoyne (186cm, 65kg from SA)
29. Josh Fahey (186cm, 76kg from GWS)
30. Jesse Motlop (176cm, 74kg from WA)
Leek Alleer at 22 is interesting. First time I’ve seen him rated so highly.

If we could split our first pick and walk out of the draft with Alleer and Bazzo I’d be pretty happy.

Given that we're drafting Burgoyne, it'd be a huge risk to split our first pick.

burgoyne is going late.

I’ve always felt he was going 20 - 40 but this season I think interest in him has cooled massively and he’s seen as a long term prospect whose position on the field isn’t exactly known.

Most sentiment seems to have him outside the top 40.

My revised range for him would be 30 - rookie.

burgoyne is going late.

I’ve always felt he was going 20 - 40 but this season I think interest in him has cooled massively and he’s seen as a long term prospect whose position on the field isn’t exactly known.

Most sentiment seems to have him outside the top 40.

My revised range for him would be 30 - rookie.
We may have played it perfectly

Leek Alleer at 22 is interesting. First time I’ve seen him rated so highly.

If we could split our first pick and walk out of the draft with Alleer and Bazzo I’d be pretty happy.
Alleer is probably benefiting from all the attention Alliir is getting ATM.

Clubs would be on the look out for someone with similar traits (game style not physical, though the physical resemblance probably doesn't hurt sub consciously).

I'm definitely taking Roberts if his there I know his not quick but not everyone has to be.

Couple off mths ago Roberts at 4

Slow and not good under pressure is a terminal combination in a mid. Again, don’t take anything I say a gospel but I suspect this is just one that the draft watchers doing their early predictions got wrong.

Roberts is a nice kick with time and space though.

Alleer is probably benefiting from all the attention Alliir is getting ATM.

Clubs would be on the look out for someone with similar traits (game style not physical, though the physical resemblance probably doesn't hurt sub consciously).

I was blown away with Alleer when I first saw him. So dominant in the air, and a really smart player. I dont remember Aliir at 22, but I seriously doubt he was as good at the same age. Will get snapped up I reckon.

I was blown away with Alleer when I first saw him. So dominant in the air, and a really smart player. I dont remember Aliir at 22, but I seriously doubt he was as good at the same age. Will get snapped up I reckon.
Leek Alleer is 19. Only saw him in a game against the Magpies earlier this year, thought he was pretty impressive.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back