Beyond the GF – Why the MCG Contract doesn’t pass the Stink Test

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There would not be any figure the the AFL/Vic Government would give up the contract or the game.
Yes there would.

But I doubt anybody has the balls to do it, most on here I notice hate the AFL, but the answer is always "we can still follow the game but hate the admin"

Go to your clubs and tell them, you are not buying anymore memberships until something is done.

Basically this

precinct upgrade.

The $173.7m (A$225m) redevelopment of the Marvel Stadium and Docklands precinct is intended to create a 365-day-a-year sport and entertainment hub for Melbourne.

AFL noted that the works will include revitalised eastern and southern entry points including a new ‘Town Square’ that will transform the space into a seven-day-a-week, as well as an open and accessible area.

Bloody Hell. The more you unwrap this, the worse it becomes.

Yes there would.

But I doubt anybody has the balls to do it, most on here I notice hate the AFL, but the answer is always "we can still follow the game but hate the admin"

Go to your clubs and tell them, you are not buying anymore memberships until something is done.

I did that 4 years ago, handed in my 4 Eagles Memberships of 20 years plus just simply because I don’t love this new sport called AFL and I prefer to watch the WAFL. So I increased my membership with West Perth and just watch the AFL on TV. The Eagles didn’t care they just said next please. West Perth treat us like kings. If I really want to attend an AFL game I have enough contacts to get a ticket or two.

I did that 4 years ago, handed in my 4 Eagles Memberships of 20 years plus just simply because I don’t love this new sport called AFL and I prefer to watch the WAFL. So I increased my membership with West Perth and just watch the AFL on TV. The Eagles didn’t care they just said next please. West Perth treat us like kings. If I really want to attend an AFL game I have enough contacts to get a ticket or two.
Yep, the trouble is you need everyone to do it, but as I said before, most on here seem like they are all talk, no action.

Just my opinion but if I hated something as much as many on here say about the AFL, I would just stop.
I certainly wouldn't be changing clubs.

It astounds me how quick West Australians jumped onto West Coast and joined a comp they despised.

Yep. And someone has to pay to buy out the existing contract. Time to step up state premiers. All we have heard is silence on the issue from them.

I haven't seen many people advocate buying out the existing contract.
Personally, I'd like to see some accountability for the people that made the decision to extend it.

After that's happened, then we can investigate whether there's been a force majeure event that means the MCC was unable to abide by the contract and allow the AFL to walk away (then renegotiate).

Yep, the trouble is you need everyone to do it, but as I said before, most on here seem like they are all talk, no action.

Just my opinion but if I hated something as much as many on here say about the AFL, I would just stop.

It astounds me how quick West Australians jumped onto West Coast and joined a comp they despised.

They didn’t hate the VFL at all, I think when the idea of West Coast joining the VFL happened many actually didn’t realise they were joining a vic league and not a national league, when the name change came they also probably thought that it would be a true national comp and that we would have a say. The other thing was that it was promised that tge WAFL would be looked after in perpetuity and remain a big player in town. So much didn’t happen that was promised and hence like anywhere else they just jumped on the big team in town which was the Eagles.
Lots has changed over the decades and other than actually changing the sport into another sport the AFL do it ok. The WAFC on the other hand have destroyed the WAFL.

They didn’t hate the VFL at all, I think when the idea of West Coast joining the VFL happened many actually didn’t realise they were joining a vic league and not a national league, when the name change came they also probably thought that it would be a true national comp and that we would have a say. The other thing was that it was promised that tge WAFL would be looked after in perpetuity and remain a big player in town. So much didn’t happen that was promised and hence like anywhere else they just jumped on the big team in town which was the Eagles.
Lots has changed over the decades and other than actually changing the sport into another sport the AFL do it ok. The WAFC on the other hand have destroyed the WAFL.
Mate, I have lived in Perth, and if that wasn't hate for the VFL, I would hate to see when they did.

Come back when you have a 100,000 seat stadium that you can fill every year for it.

Or, by the way, a stadium that can take those numbers you’re listing for the big games. Because right now Richmond have 100k members, Collingwood have around that, Carlton have 80k.

The benefits of having a huge supporter base for the code in Melbourne.
75,000 to 80,000 would suffice....lot of hangers on in MCC who are not hard core footy supporters. Perth can be up graded to 80,000 , Adel Oval 75,000, Gabba 80,000 by 2032, Sydney has 80,000 .... Highest qualifying Grand Finalist gets the GF....would be massive for the game nationally and MCG would still get plenty of Grand Finals....obviously the powers that be recognize the long term possibilities......, that is why a contract exists...

Mate, I have lived in Perth, and if that wasn't hate for the VFL, I would hate to see when they did.

I was talking pre joining the VFL. Everyone from 1978 loved watching the winners on Sunday nights. The WAFL was king in town but I don’t think there was enough interest in the VFL to hate it back then.

I was talking pre joining the VFL. Everyone from 1978 loved watching the winners on Sunday nights. The WAFL was king in town but I don’t think there was enough interest in the VFL to hate it back then.
The VFL were poaching your best players.
I was there in the 80's and it was hate.

But to be fair, anything from the east was hated.

Look I think most sensible, intelligent and impartial Victorian footy fans are not against in principle non MCG Grand Finals in future, but I also think that unlike the NFL, the venue should not be pre determined before the season starts.

For example; in the future a Carlton v Melbourne (hypothetically speaking, chose a combo of two other Victorian clubs for arguments sake) Grand Final makes no sense playing it at The G, but on the other hand, having a (hypothetical) Eagles v Freo Grand Final makes no sense to be played outside WA/Optus Stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look I think most sensible, intelligent and impartial Victorian footy fans are not against in principle non MCG Grand Finals in future, but I also think that unlike the NFL, the venue should not be pre determined before the season starts.

For example; in the future a Carlton v Melbourne (hypothetically speaking, chose a combo of two other Victorian clubs for arguments sake) Grand Final makes no sense playing it at The G, but on the other hand, having a (hypothetical) Eagles v Freo Grand Final makes no sense to be played outside WA/Optus Stadium.

If the last 2 years has shown anything, it proves things can be agile.

Broadly there's no reason why the Vic Government and MCC would even contemplate negotiating a new deal. They've made out like absolute bandits. Its Gil and the Commission that have completely failed.

For example; in the future a Carlton v Melbourne (hypothetically speaking, chose a combo of two other Victorian clubs for arguments sake) Grand Final makes no sense playing it at The G, but on the other hand, having a (hypothetical) Eagles v Freo Grand Final makes no sense to be played outside WA/Optus Stadium

The biggest problem would be getting sufficient staff at short notice for everything. There are hundreds of chefs required for the MCG on grand final day, then bar staff, wait staff in the corporate areas, security, merchandise sellers, cleaners, etc. Then there's pregame, halftime and post-game entertainment, and corporate events. Imagine trying to book a big name band and saying we need you on this date, but we won't be sure where until a week beforehand. Then you have the halftime stuff. So, you'd have to have it set up in every city early. The earlier, the better.

Sounds easy.
But why should I, for instance, have to abandon the sport, club and comp that I once loved, because of dodgy biased decision making by those involved?

Isn't that WHY we are members of our club, and our clubs members of the competition? So we have a say (allegedly)?

Taking your point of view is wonderful and simple, when youre sitting on the right side of said decisions. For a contrary example, look at the drama about Eddie McGuire not being permitted to attend the GF for the first time in 43 years. My heart bleeds.

Sounds easy.
But why should I, for instance, have to abandon the sport, club and comp that I once loved, because of dodgy biased decision making by those involved?

Isn't that WHY we are members of our club, and our clubs members of the competition? So we have a say (allegedly)?

Taking your point of view is wonderful and simple, when youre sitting on the right side of said decisions. For a contrary example, look at the drama about Eddie McGuire not being permitted to attend the GF for the first time in 43 years. My heart bleeds.
That's ok mate, you can do whatever you want, and there is many like you who will cry, cry cry about the hand your dealt, but will never get off your arse and do a thing about it.

The AFL will keep doing this crap as long as people like you exist.

That's ok mate, you can do whatever you want, and there is many like you who will cry, cry cry about the hand your dealt, but will never get off your arse and do a thing about it.

The AFL will keep doing this crap as long as people like you exist.

You hit the nail on the head, people complain but keep attending and funding these things they are not happy about. The AFL know their fan base are idiots and will just keep attending. Supporters still think their clubs appreciate their membership and that the club cares for them. Very funny stuff.

You hit the nail on the head, people complain but keep attending and funding these things they are not happy about. The AFL know their fan base are idiots and will just keep attending. Supporters still think their clubs appreciate their membership and that the club cares for them. Very funny stuff.
But this is not like a restaurant or a job where there are multiple other restaurants and jobs you can go to in order to boycott the current one.

AFL is the national comp. Its not like there's an NFL across the road or a 6-conference 2 division setup so I can ignore the bits I hate and still watch top level footy.

Saying "don't like it, leave" is so simplistic.

Come back when you have a 100,000 seat stadium that you can fill every year for it.

Or, by the way, a stadium that can take those numbers you’re listing for the big games. Because right now Richmond have 100k members, Collingwood have around that, Carlton have 80k.

The benefits of having a huge supporter base for the code in Melbourne.
Steeply sloped forehead post there mate.

The biggest event in world sport is the soccer world cup. They could literally sell out a 5 million seat stadium if there were such a thing - they dont require the biggest soccer stadium in the world every world cup - they share it around

Last edited:

We thought it was going to become a national comp - silly us

But this is not like a restaurant or a job where there are multiple other restaurants and jobs you can go to in order to boycott the current one.

AFL is the national comp. Its not like there's an NFL across the road or a 6-conference 2 division setup so I can ignore the bits I hate and still watch top level footy.

Saying "don't like it, leave" is so simplistic.

Watch it on TV and stop funding it, you want change then only empty stadiums can change it.

Did anyone just see what Glen Jakovich said on 7 news?

He wants the GF back in Melbourne, for 2 reasons.

1: The world will be in a better place.
2: It's the rightful home.

Did anyone just see what Glen Jakovich said on 7 news?

He wants the GF back in Melbourne, for 2 reasons.

1: The world will be in a better place.
2: It's the rightful home.

I agree with him but just because Glen says something it doesn’t mean much. He is part of the AFL system, paid to say what the AFL wa to every one to hear.

I agree with him but just because Glen says something it doesn’t mean much. He is part of the AFL system, paid to say what the AFL wa to every one to hear.
I wasn't gloating that he said that.

My 1st thought was, if people like him are saying that, then it make it hard getting it moved, you would want people like him on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back