Toast 150 Years of Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Next season will be rather special for the Essendon Football Club as it celebrates its 150th Anniversary. Most here would now be aware of the new Logo the club will have for it and indeed documentaries coming up over summer on our screens.

Now I know much of this discussion will be centred on the drug stuff from a few years ago...so be it.

But, Essendon's history has been so much more than that.

Hopefully the club celebrates it well.

Expectations?

Well it would seem a match against Carlton will be the main on-field celebration - whenever that match will be.

There's going to be things like celebratory dinners and what not.

But, where did Essendon start?

In a pub! Alex McCracken's pub in fact. McCracken ran the Doutta Galla hotel in Racecourse Road in Kensington (near Newmarket station) and it was here where Essendon began.

In our 150th year we finished last and got belted by 108 points by one of the best sides in history in our anniversary game. Essendon look like having a more enjoyable season, good on them. Would love to see them finish in the top 6.

Next season will be rather special for the Essendon Football Club as it celebrates its 150th Anniversary. Most here would now be aware of the new Logo the club will have for it and indeed documentaries coming up over summer on our screens.

Now I know much of this discussion will be centred on the drug stuff from a few years ago...so be it.

Expectations?

Well it would seem a match against Carlton will be the main on-field celebration - whenever that match will be.

In a pub! Alex McCracken's pub in fact. McCracken ran the Doutta Galla hotel in Racecourse Road in Kensington (near Newmarket station) and it was here where Essendon began.
It will be a special year. All being well the Essendon family coming together on several fronts to celebrate a wonderful history.

The celebration game will likely be in July and followed by a gala dinner that evening with all stakeholders attending.

Promises to be an exciting year. Hopefully on field continues to reveal promise and growth.

I’m sure the Essendon family will get behind the year, especially following the covid era.

A strong and growing membership, pushing 90,000 can be expected as the clubs fanbase is mobilised around the commemorative year.

Genuine question to Essendon fans. Your club is 149 years old, and the first bomber came into existence 108 years ago, but really did not become what we know as a bomber today until the 1930's. With that in mind how did Essendon get the name the Essendon Bombers? What were you guys called before then?

Genuine question to Essendon fans. Your club is 149 years old, and the first bomber came into existence 108 years ago, but really did not become what we know as a bomber today until the 1930's. With that in mind how did Essendon get the name the Essendon Bombers? What were you guys called before then?

Not 100% sure, someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I think they renamed themselves the ‘Bombers’ because of the nearby Essendon airport/field and the use of it by U.S bomber planes during the Second World War.

The club was named ‘The Same Olds’ before the Bombers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not 100% sure, someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I think they renamed themselves the ‘Bombers’ because of the nearby Essendon airport/field and the use of it by U.S bomber planes during the Second World War.

They also had a different nickname that you'd get banned for posting.

The other Essendon club got absorbed by North Melbourne and this why they hate North?

That's not quite what happened, Essendon got kicked out of East Melbourne Cricket Ground (you might know it today as that big area where trains wait before going into the city loop) so they offered to merge with North and play games at Arden St. North were interested because they'd been trying to join the VFL since it started, but it ended up falling through after all of North's players signed with Essendon. Essendon ended up moving to Windy Hill, displacing Essendon Association. Essendon Association didn't have a ground and North didn't have a list, so those two clubs merged instead.

I'm sure Essendon went into it with the best of intentions, but there was some bitterness from North supporters that they ended up winning VFL flags with players like Syd Barker who were North Melbourne champions.

They were also called The Bloodstained N word used by African American rappers

Expectations?

Alex was the first treasurer of the EFC and later a president. He was also the first president of the VFL after the breakaway from the VFA In 1897. McCracken later started a brewery. He was noted for his pale ales when darker ones were more popular at the time.

29F4DC2E-3898-4012-88B7-8D98956DD26A.jpeg

The only club in the AFL to lose draft picks for both 1) salary cap cheating AND 2) performance enhancing drugs... and yet can't win a final for 6500 days
Dick Reynolds, ca*lton fan. Dreamed of playing for ca*lton. Trained there. Sent packing. Into H.O.F as a legend. ******* idiots.

I’m thinking there are a fair few posters in here that are salty their club hasn’t got an 8 part doco coming out about them.

Next season will be rather special for the Essendon Football Club as it celebrates its 150th Anniversary. Most here would now be aware of the new Logo the club will have for it
Nope, couldn't give a s**t either.

Happy for the club to celebrate its proud history, 150 years is a significant milestone. But trying to rewrite history on the drug stuff isn't welcome.

I'm sure the club will have taken some random punter off the internet's opinion on what actually happened into consideration when portraying the events of the last decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back