Roast Essendon in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon are genuinely good this year. The last few years they have quietly gone about recruitinf in veterans to address their weaknesses. The biggest benefit of adding guys like Gresham, Goldstein, Caldwell, Hind, etc isn't that they are match winners, but that they are mature bodied, competent footballers and replace spuds. Throw in some awsome Merrett form and this is a good all round team.

They have an easy fixture and this is a team good enough to lose a final. In fact, if the multitude of other good teams beat each other up enough they might even be good enough to sneak into a position where they can lose two finals - right now, for example, they are third and would right in line to honourably lose twice in the finals!
The Bombers beat Carlton last year and I’d back them in to do it again this year. Your mob has been lucky to win 4 of its 6 games by a whisker this year. Decent but very beatable.

I'm kind of loving No-Man's Land.
I feel the same.

It’s like we’re in the foxholes and abandoned mud trenches avoiding the heavy artillery shells wizzing over head and etching forward with our advance.

One hard battle at a time ..week after week.

When General Setterfield returns from the hospital…the brigade will be even stronger.

Interesting they have the 12th best percentage.

Also, until tonlday hadn't won against a top 8 team & only won against teams outside the 8... so big win today, but still need to a bit to convince me they are finals worthy.

Well coached & great pressure, but not sure they have the fire-power when it matters.

The same Dockers that lost to the Eagles by 6 goals?
the main reason why freo lost to the eagles was we underestimated the eagles and the eagles were motivated.

Saying that, I wont be shocked if Brad Scott gets you to a finals spot and actually get a finals win as well.

He did wonders with North Melbourne.

Oh the bombers are up and about are they?

Better check what month it is…

Oh
But Papley advised us to do it for 4 quarters and that the edge was fake. So inspirational that we've only lost 1 game since! Hopefully all of that training implementing his advice will make him very proud when we play Sydney in Melbourne with the real edge for 4 quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage last year we were 4-5 and just lost our 4th match in a row.
We look a completely different team to last season.
We're playing completely different and the stats back that up. Our goals are coming through stoppages and midfield dominance. Over the last month we've added a great forward half game through pressure and intercepts, enabling us to defend the ground better. McKay of course has been a huge difference because Hawkins had kicked 8 on us around this time last year. We were playing an unsustainable brand last year where we frequently lost the territory battle due to our ineptness at stoppages and defending the transition. We night and day better at both this season.

the main reason why freo lost to the eagles was we underestimated the eagles and the eagles were motivated.

Saying that, I wont be shocked if Brad Scott gets you to a finals spot and actually get a finals win as well.

He did wonders with North Melbourne.
I think having seen Eagles over the last 5 or so weeks - its obvious that when they have most of their players fit and available they really aren't a bad team but they fall away very quickly in terms of depth. So the teams that caught Eagles in this last month and a bit had a much sterner challenge than I suspect will be the case at other times of the year.

Dockers are a hard team to place. They've been patchy and right now its hard to evaluate them as anything other than a 6-10 range team. Forward line does not seem on the same level as their defense and midfield.

They are looking good, but they looked good last year for half the year too. The test comes in winter.

However, any side that adds at least 3 AFL standard players in an off season should improve.
They’re improving and that’s what matters. As I’ve said numerous times, they will be a good side in 1-2 years if they remain focussed and stable off field.

Also, until tonlday hadn't won against a top 8 team & only won against teams outside the 8... so big win today, but still need to a bit to convince me they are finals worthy.

Well coached & great pressure, but not sure they have the fire-power when it matters.

Any credit given for drawing against the reigning premiers?

Any credit given for drawing against the reigning premiers?
Indeed... was a great game to watch as a neutral.

Reckon you will play finals, just not convinced you are a premiership threat.

Maybe not but we weren't expecting that until 2026/27 anyway

I don't think even the most delusional Essendon fan has us as a premiership threat lol. I do think however that this is the best chance of winning a final if we can secure a home final. Provided we don't crash and burn in the second half.

The Bombers beat Carlton last year and I’d back them in to do it again this year. Your mob has been lucky to win 4 of its 6 games by a whisker this year. Decent but very beatable.

Learning how to ugly win games is not just about luck.

10 minutes into the last quarter against the Giants Essendon decided to just sit on the ball, figuratively. Just basically hold the ball up and find the boundary, the ball up... anything they could. That's coaching.

Dogs and Saints were in the 8 when they won those games.

Dogs and Saints were in the 8 when they won those games.
What's relevant is whether they will be top 8 at the end of the season. ;)

Currently you are the team which has achieved more than expected when the season started imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back