Prediction Player breakout predictions for your club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure hate was the right word. There has been a bit of incredulity that he has been rated elite by Champion Data. It might be a stretch for sure, but he’s a good player. He just hasn’t been able to string games together.

I don’t think anyone is saying he isn’t a talent or that he can’t become elite. Right now he isn’t an elite player, which is what people have a bit of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m not sure the Dogs have one. Most of our mid range players are established enough to not fit the breakout description. I’d hope that the likes of English and Williams can take another step and Jamarra can establish himself as best 22. JJ could very well reinvent himself as a a very good pressure small forward.
If I had to pick players for the Dogs I'd go:

Jamarra obviously, although more of a break in than break out.

Vandemeer could go from fringe to established quality flanker.

Weightman can go up a level of consistency.

Jordon Sweet could be a solid starting ruck if given the chance and Tim O'Brien could excel in the CHB role.

Melbourne got pretty much the perfect run of guys improving and young players finding their roles, so it's trickier to see if anyone can take a leap this year.

Jackson is the obvious one, clearly he's got plenty of scope, but unless his role expands I'd imagine he doesn't really take a big leap this year.

Bowey's only played 7 games and done high level stuff, might not be this year but I think he should become an excellent back flanker sooner rather than later.

Weideman's the only highly drafted player who hasn't worked out to date and the training reports have been positive. He could play a role, but it's unlikely to expect more than that.

Mostly it's now giving the next run of kids a go once they earn it and seeing how they develop.

Harry Schoenberg is the obvious one for us seeing he begun to breakout as a top line mid at the backend of last year.

There are a couple of other guys this year, one is Ned McHenry. Could see him really cement himself as a very solid (and inevitably underrated) footballer in our forward/mid lines as he begun to do so in the last fortnight of the 2021 season. Another potential standout is Nick Murray as he pretty much looked like a lock in defense after coming in without a preseason and honestly, looks like he could mould into a serious key defender with 1-2 preseasons. Brayden Cook and Lachlan Gollant both deserve honorable mentions as well as their rate of improvement through 2021 was rapid and both look like they could quicky cement themselves as prospects to watch in the future.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the intra-club the other day is anything to go by then Cooper Sharman would definitely be one to watch this year.

Looked like no time had passed at all since his games at the end of last year (when he kicked 10 goals, from under 3.5 games), but now he looks like he’ll have the fitness to push up the ground much more, with an AFL preseason under his belt.

Looked a class above, despite being up against the “A-backline” (mainly Wilkie). Just keeps kicking goals.

Weideman's the only highly drafted player who hasn't worked out to date and the training reports have been positive. He could play a role, but it's unlikely to expect more than that.

Weideman's role is making sure Tom MacDonald works his arse off to stay in the team. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets a few games ahead of Tom and I really hope he takes advantage of it.

If the intra-club the other day is anything to go by then Cooper Sharman would definitely be one to watch this year.

Looked like no time had passed at all since his games at the end of last year (when he kicked 10 goals, from under 3.5 games), but now he looks like he’ll have the fitness to push up the ground much more, with an AFL preseason under his belt.

Looked a class above, despite being up against the “A-backline” (mainly Wilkie). Just keeps kicking goals.
Is he the young fella that had a day out against us in round 23?

The point is that you can't have a breakout year 3 years in a row. I don't think he will have a breakout year but he could be a handy player still.
A lot of people get fixated on where players went in the draft, which at the end of the day is irrelevant.
He's only had one full season of games. That was last year.

And last season he started the year with a 10 possession first quarter then faded, only getting another 10 for the game but by the time he finished the season he had one 38 possession game and averaged over 25 possession over his last 5 games. To me that indicates he has finally got the sort of fitness needed to stay involved throughout a game. Which usually happens around 50 games.

Guess what - LDU has played 50 games. So don't be surprised if he plays a fantastic year of footy that makes people sit up and take notice.

But the real breakout will probably be Tarryn Thomas. He is a freak and was finally starting to show a bit by the end of last year.

If I had to pick players for the Dogs I'd go:

Jamarra obviously, although more of a break in than break out.

Vandemeer could go from fringe to established quality flanker.

Weightman can go up a level of consistency.

Jordon Sweet could be a solid starting ruck if given the chance and Tim O'Brien could excel in the CHB role.
I'd throw in Richards if he can stay fit was apparently doing very well at the Intra club

He's only had one full season of games. That was last year.

And last season he started the year with a 10 possession first quarter then faded, only getting another 10 for the game but by the time he finished the season he had one 38 possession game and averaged over 25 possession over his last 5 games. To me that indicates he has finally got the sort of fitness needed to stay involved throughout a game. Which usually happens around 50 games.

Guess what - LDU has played 50 games. So don't be surprised if he plays a fantastic year of footy that makes people sit up and take notice.

But the real breakout will probably be Tarryn Thomas. He is a freak and was finally starting to show a bit by the end of last year.
Ok but you can't call him a breakout contender next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back