News North's recruiting team resigns en masse

Remove this Banner Ad

makes the case for a PP even stronger...but who will make the pick?
What on earth is one extra talented 18 year old going to do?

If they're a mess off-field pp's are absolutely pointless. You and I would know that from the history of our own clubs.

What on earth is one extra talented 18 year old going to do?

If they're a mess off-field pp's are absolutely pointless. You and I would know that from the history of our own clubs.
It's also an interesting message to send to any playing group.

You're such a footballing failure that we're sending in this kid to fix things.

North sound like they're imploding and that Noble's a problem.

From the Codesports article:

A trio of North Melbourne recruiters led by Mark Finnigan and Glenn Luff had departed the building amid significant turmoil and accusations of a total lack of support.

For coach Noble and the North Melbourne hierarchy, the timing was abysmal — eight days ahead of a mid-season draft where the club will have two selections.

But the greater fallout will be a renewed focus on the club’s football department and a coach who, until the last month, had been keener to shout than to nurture his players.

Finnigan will find his way to Hawthorn on a three-year deal, but only after feeling undermined and unsupported in recent months.

After repeated job offers elsewhere the highly rated recruiter was compelled to take the Hawks offer when the Roos hierarchy was lukewarm on matching the three-year Hawthorn deal.

Former Champion Data analyst Luff walked too and even if he was already considering his future, the unfair hit job on some of the list team’s draft picks this week must have had him wondering where that information came from.

It is understood the recruiting team felt a collaborative approach as seen in the best clubs —we own our recruiting successes and failures equally — was instead replaced by blame from specific members higher up the chain.

All of it adds up to a sense of impending doom for a club that admits it has multiple seasons of onfield struggles ahead, given it is 33 games into a rebuild it expects to last 88 games across four seasons.

Noble’s tendency to shout rather than nurture, to roar rather than cuddle, was an open secret in the early rounds of the season.

As the club’s hopes of improved performances earlier in the rebuild were exposed as fallacy, Noble was frustrated and angry.

There are several versions, but that tirade delivered to players after the round 3 loss to Brisbane either brought young players to tears or awfully close, and was followed by an apology to the group days later.

But as has been said more than once inside the walls of Arden St, in his first year Noble delivered more sprays than Brad Scott in his entire tenure.

There is no doubt Noble has put some Roos staffers off side with bedside manner and yet what the Roos believe is that he has changed significantly since that round 3 contest.

That the fallout from that round 3 spray forced Noble to be a more positive and affirming presence in his feedback to players.

That he has listened and responded with a moderated tone for a playing group who come from a generation where the only real feedback they accept is positive.

Jason Horne-Francis is the club’s most important property and yet he has put off contract talks amid signs he has not settled as well as he might at a club that rejected astronomical trade offers for him.

The news last night that he was counselled by the club after he flew home to Adelaide without its permission after a Friday night game in Perth was another worrying sign for a club.

It has already had talks parked for exciting 24-year-old forward Cam Zurhaar.

Those close to him were adamant that the club knew he wasn’t playing the following week and that the story had been overblown, but for a club that only has two years to convince Horne-Francis to re-sign, none of it helps the cause.

For the Roos there is so much at stake as they attempt to surround Noble with the support staff to get through the dark days of a rebuild.

They simply cannot afford to find a fourth coach in four years given it was only three years ago this week Brad Scott moved on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norths list looks ok, I'd be more worried that players who have shown potential over the last 3 years have stagnated.
Powell looked good last year, terrible this year.
Ldu shows glimpses of being a break out player, but never fully delivers, I'm sure if he went to the pies, cats or Hawks he would be a top 10 in the league within 2 years.
Thomas has gone backwards, after taking big steps at the end of last year.
Stephenson had a great first season, he's been dropped at least twice this year, looks disinterested.
Phillips looked good last year, haven't seen him in
Ccj was playing better than lynch when he replaced him at the tigers last year, now he looks like Julian kirzner in the fwd half.
Simpkin has gone from being on the cusp of an a grader to a C grader.
Bailey Scott should be like Ed Langdon, yet he's like Austin mccrabb

Norths problem is development, lack of leadership. They are fast becoming irrelevant, they need an a grader there to show these guys what it takes.

Noble and the players are so far divided, how can you fix it? That's 3 coaches in 4 years possibly. By the way I reckon clarko would still deliver a monster spray after losing by 100 points, I'm not sure the coach is the issue, it's player related, and it's got a real stench to the place, where no one wants to be at North, they need to get a broom out, Rawlings out, ceo out, they won't work in Tassie as it's not a Tassie team, I'm not sure the AFL can get their heads around that

makes the case for a PP even stronger...but who will make the pick?
1 more 18 year old kid is going to make no difference to North Melbourne on or off the ground
The club is imploding and a mess.

End of 2021 north,Pies,Crows,Suns and Hawks were all in similar positions and whilst the rest are showing signs of improving on and off field north are getting even worse.

They have enough young talent but the place needs a complete clean out and rid itself of the loser under dog mentality

As an almost 20-year member of the NMFC, I have to say, the news sounds grim.

The club just lost three blokes who I have never heard of (over the space of a few weeks).

An 18yo kid whose stock is rising has taken his manager's good advice and held off extending his contract for now.

The team sits second bottom, only slightly above the richest club in the land (who won a flag four years ago).

Some of our best players of recent times are now elsewhere, sometimes even playing in the senior team of their new club.

And now we're staring down the barrel of a PP and an opportunity to bring in more of the best talent in the national draft.

All we need at this point is yet another announcement of a successful year for the club financially and that's it, we're cooked.

That would be the last straw, I reckon. The final nail in the coffin.

Call that bloke who runs some medium-sized business in Tassie and tell him our license is finally up for grabs.

Let the Taswegians have a crack on the big stage. Our 50,000-strong membership base isn't up to the task.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back