Autopsy 6 point win over Richmond(wtf)

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like Rowbottom & Warner are deserving of a post of their own because what they did last night was pretty incredible. I can't remember the last time we had two 21 year olds leading by example in the midfield like that. Inject these two being absolutely fearless under tackling pressure into my goddamn veins.

Warner - He literally knows no way of playing other than to attack. Hell will freeze over before Warner ever looks sideways or backwards for a safe option. He also seems to have endless energy. So many repeat sprint efforts and the constant drive to redeem himself at the very next contest after he makes a blunder. This is becoming a pattern of his, which is telling of his mindset, as youngsters will always have blunders, but it's how you learn from them. Case in point last night, that handball that sold Campbell up the river and gave up a goal, he went straight back to the centre and cracked in hard and earned consecutive frees. He did the same a few weeks ago opposed to Rowell - gave up the easy centre break to Rowell, then at the very next contest, was on him like a rabid dog. Just love this.

Rowbottom - Not sure why some were so surprised to see Rowbottom play as good as he did. It's the same Rowbottom from a few years ago when he was focused on the ball, not the man, for pretty much the first time this year. His numbers weren't as big as Warner's but he was every bit as good IMO. So many hard contests and attacking plays from the contest won, but still played incredibly accountable - 8 tackles and constant shepherding, chasing, smothering efforts. He can do both. He has the potential to be our best two-way mid and that's a potential we simply have to explore. In the fourth quarter, we're behind by 2 points still. Crucial centre bounce. Rowbottom just bursts through to win possession at the centre bounce and we get the clutch centre clearance that leads to Buddy putting us in front. That's the player we've been depriving ourselves of all season so far. No more please Horse.

Ps. I get the feeling we are going to get 10 years of Rowbottom trying to calm Warner down in dramatic situations. It's becoming a recurring theme already this year and I kinda love it.

I feel like Rowbottom & Warner are deserving of a post of their own because what they did last night was pretty incredible. I can't remember the last time we had two 21 year olds leading by example in the midfield like that. Inject these two being absolutely fearless under tackling pressure into my goddamn veins.

Warner - He literally knows no way of playing other than to attack. Hell will freeze over before Warner ever looks sideways or backwards for a safe option. He also seems to have endless energy. So many repeat sprint efforts and the constant drive to redeem himself at the very next contest after he makes a blunder. This is becoming a pattern of his, which is telling of his mindset, as youngsters will always have blunders, but it's how you learn from them. Case in point last night, that handball that sold Campbell up the river and gave up a goal, he went straight back to the centre and cracked in hard and earned consecutive frees. He did the same a few weeks ago opposed to Rowell - gave up the easy centre break to Rowell, then at the very next contest, was on him like a rabid dog. Just love this.

Rowbottom - Not sure why some were so surprised to see Rowbottom play as good as he did. It's the same Rowbottom from a few years ago when he was focused on the ball, not the man, for pretty much the first time this year. His numbers weren't as big as Warner's but he was every bit as good IMO. So many hard contests and attacking plays from the contest won, but still played incredibly accountable - 8 tackles and constant shepherding, chasing, smothering efforts. He can do both. He has the potential to be our best two-way mid and that's a potential we simply have to explore. In the fourth quarter, we're behind by 2 points still. Crucial centre bounce. Rowbottom just bursts through to win possession at the centre bounce and we get the clutch centre clearance that leads to Buddy putting us in front. That's the player we've been depriving ourselves of all season so far. No more please Horse.

Ps. I get the feeling we are going to get 10 years of Rowbottom trying to calm Warner down in dramatic situations. It's becoming a recurring theme already this year and I kinda love it.
Well said.

Warner is the exact opposite of a Brad Crouch type (the archetypal crab).

And Rowy is the fearless hard-nut. He should really have a crew-cut. Flowing locks don’t do him justice.

So now that I have calmed down and reduced my baiting of Richmond flogs on social media I can reflect a little more on last night.

Warner a sensational second half in particular. Makes the occasional mistake but on the whole his good far outweighs the bad. Rowy was solid throughout. Seemed to be latched on to a number of players throughout the night and the were not going anywhere. Hayward was strong, started the game quite physically. This waned throughout the night but the physicality was replaced with a few clunking marks. Mills ever reliable and seemed to bring some stability when he was thrown into the wing/spare back role. Ladhams competed well throughout and some of his 2nd efforts in the last quarter were vital in the win. Reid was pretty good but I still get so frustrated that as a forward, he has never been able to sort out his set shot accuracy. Franklin is just a star. Rampe and Parker played their roles well, exactly what we ask of them. The McCartin boys were serviceable without having standout games. Lloyd had clearly been told he needed to move the ball forward from the kick outs rather than go the short chip to the pocket. To his credit, he looked better as a result. Still gives away too many holding frees. Didn't notice C'OR (probably a good thing as a defender) apart from a couple of moments late in the game where he showed good composure to clear to a 75-50 contest in our favour. Roberts looked way off the mark. McInerney had shocker along with Wicks, Paps, McDonald and Heeney. Heeney's disposal by foot has been atrocious the last couple of weeks and was reminiscent of Richards in late 2012 when he was getting jabs in the foot before a game. Richards was clipping the ground with his foot as he kicked due to no feeling in the foot. The switch across half back in the 2nd? quarter did not look dissimilar from Heeney. If he's not right, he should be rested for a few weeks as he isn't having a significant impact right now.

Still think BT, Cotchin and Richmond supporters can go forth and multiply.

I noticed when Logan marked the ball on the back flank in the last quarter and Papley was one out calling for it around 50 metres from our goal. Him and his opponent were the deepest players. But he just kicked to a contest on the wing with nearly every other player on the ground in that area. Why not just step around the mark and bomb it down Papleys way, to give him a chance before 100 defenders arrive? Or am I dreaming and it was too far away?
Logan also did a couple of terrific marks and kicks in that last quarter. And that handball over the top to mcinerney who gave it to wicks in an open goal. First half he was quiet but there wasn't one passenger in the second half.

Good points esp re Warner.

I have always enjoyed our team when we have at least one 'crazy horse'. Denis Carroll was a magnificent 'crazy horse' and a great skipper. The Chad early in his career is already looking to be in the same tradition.

Well said.

Warner is the exact opposite of a Brad Crouch type (the archetypal crab).

And Rowy is the fearless hard-nut. He should really have a crew-cut. Flowing locks don’t do him justice.

Apt comparisons as always DQ. I wouldn't want Rowbottom to get a haircut. I'm liking how our future midfield is shaping up.

Headband fettuccine & peroxide ramen noodles dominating together.

Explain how Reid was awful

His missed shots at goal, lack of an option around the ground. He was literally a pinch ruckman who won a couple of frees to score goals. Two of his three goals were from frees.

Do you think that it might be that when Mills is in the centre he takes this role, and that is why Rowbottom performances are better when he's not there?

Just a thought.... I loved Rowies performance last night, but I do wonder if Horse shuffles the board so he can get the best possible performance and coverage.

This was easily the most exciting thing about watching the game, Rowbottom and Warner. These two should be in most CBA together, and the rest of the mids can work around them, they are the future of a dominant midfield.

Do you think that it might be that when Mills is in the centre he takes this role, and that is why Rowbottom performances are better when he's not there?

Just a thought.... I loved Rowies performance last night, but I do wonder if Horse shuffles the board so he can get the best possible performance and coverage.

I feel like when Mills is in there then it becomes too easy for Rowbottom to get bumped down to fourth peg and just ends up playing as the defensive mid. It's like last night, not having JPK there and needing Mills in the back-line, Horse didn't have a choice and couldn't afford to play Rowbottom as defensive mid, so he just gave him some license. Same as round 1, we were without Warner, and Rowbottom played a more attacking role. He had his two best contested ball games for the year in those two games. It's not a coincidence.

Horse needs to realise that there's nothing wrong with having four mids going after the ball. Rowbottom's no slouch. He can do both very well. His two highest tackle counts for the year also came in those two games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like when Mills is in there then it becomes too easy for Rowbottom to get bumped down to fourth peg and just ends up playing as the defensive mid. It's like last night, not having JPK there and needing Mills in the back-line, Horse didn't have a choice and couldn't afford to play Rowbottom as defensive mid, so he just gave him some license. Same as round 1, we were without Warner, and Rowbottom played a more attacking role. He had his two best contested ball games for the year in those two games. It's not a coincidence.

Horse needs to realise that there's nothing wrong with having four mids going after the ball. Rowbottom's no slouch. He can do both very well. His two highest tackle counts for the year also came in those two games.
Okay, I agree with your first paragraph, I think Rowbottom is going to be a force in the future. But can he sustain it for a season at 21yro, up against men with 5-6 preseasons under the belt and a huge level of experience? And without serious injury and/or exhaustion? I would doubt it...

What makes you think Horse doesn't realise it? What makes you think that current balance is not part of a carefully constructed training and development plan that see Rowie play a vital role in the future of this team? Currently there is Parker, Mills and Warner all in front of him, with Parker turning 30 later this year. Rowie's turn will come, especially if he continues to take every chance that is offered him... I seriously doubt anyone in the coaches box is unaware of his talent.

They're young... this is what happens. Their physical stamina is some of the best we've seen in Swans teams (imo), it's the mental resilience that's lacking, they loose concentration at points during the game, often in the second quarter. At some point it will start to click for them, hopefully in the latter half of this year.

Can be hard to watch, but we're 7-4, fight tooth and nail to the siren and our best is sublime.
It’s a very good sign that it is only mental concentration/stamina that is lacking. Their tanks will only get bigger as they develop. Gonna be a very very difficult side to put away.

Last edited:
My favourite on the Richmond board is been the cries that at any other time of the game that 50 would have been called.

What?!?

A kick into the crowd after the full time siren sounded would have been paid at any other time. Like, maybe during actual playing time it may have, but then he wouldn't have done it during playing time. They need to understand it was After. The. Siren.

It's like saying if he did that during the actual game then it would have been 50. Correct, but he didn't. Sheesh.
I hope they don’t see that we had all 22 players on the pitch after the siren, including our sub. We would have to forfeit the game.

Not to mention those blokes with spears before the opening siren. They could have taken someone’s head off!

I know I said as much last night, but I want to reiterare it because my opinion hasn't changed since sleeping on it. Buddy was an entirely reasonable choice for BOG, but I thought Ladhams was the most important player last night personally. He was easily our best player in the first half when the chips were down, and he was one of our best when the game was there to be won.

His competitiveness in ruck contests improves every week, but it's actually everything else that I really liked last night. His defensive efforts and hunting of the football were immense. He played like another midfielder, and he worked his ass off to get back and support the defence more than the rest of our midfielders.

Although it didn't ultimately prevent the goal, I want to once again highlight his efforts in the lead-up to the Short goal in the second quarter. As soon as Richmond won the footy, he broke into a sprint towards our back 50 while our midfielders jogged behind him. That's not at all what I expected from him, and shows how desperate he is to be the number one ruck, and it also makes Ken Hinkley look like an absolute fool. I'd be spewing watching Ladhams game last night if I was a Port fan.

Summed the win up better in a few words than I could in 1000.
Ladhams is going to be a very Sydney ruck. Second stringer from another team. Not the most talented tap ruck but plays with heart, runs non stop and is a physical presence around the ground. He is a great get.

Just on this, I honestly think some of our 'panicked turnovers' are a result of the fact we seem to get penalised immediately for holding the ball. Other teams seem to be given so much more time to hold on to it and get rid of it. It must be really comforting to know you have plenty of time to get rid of it and would make it easier to make more balanced decisions with disposal.
Not sure if this applies to COR, but so many swans last night went the fend when they didn’t have prior, except going the fend counts as prior, so they got pinged. The coaches need to tell them to take the tackle or drop the ball (accidentally to advantage).

I don’t like the interpretation, it punishes players for trying to correctly dispose of the ball (and in my opinion makes the game uglier than it used to be) but it is what it is. We need to play smarter.

My favourite on the Richmond board is been the cries that at any other time of the game that 50 would have been called.

What?!?

A kick into the crowd after the full time siren sounded would have been paid at any other time. Like, maybe during actual playing time it may have, but then he wouldn't have done it during playing time. They need to understand it was After. The. Siren.

It's like saying if he did that during the actual game then it would have been 50. Correct, but he didn't. Sheesh.

trouble with this issue is roles reversed they would argue the opposite, and so would we

most neutrals seem to think it was fine

we won, so heck them either way

Love how people continue to make excuses for Heeney's inability to take the step to the overrated levels people have bestowed on him. He kicks 4 in one of his cameos and he is elevated to the levels of a Martin but when he goes missing in games or sometimes for 2-3 weeks on end he is not fit and carrying something. Just need to accept Like James Bell is an almost AFL Footballer Heeney is an almost AFL Star. Does he produce the odd match winning performance of a Star ? Of course he does. Does he play at a consistent level to which his ability would suggest he could ? No he does not. Good player nothing more which is ok too.

Love how people continue to make excuses for Heeney's inability to take the step to the overrated levels people have bestowed on him. He kicks 4 in one of his cameos and he is elevated to the levels of a Martin but when he goes missing in games or sometimes for 2-3 weeks on end he is not fit and carrying something. Just need to accept Like James Bell is an almost AFL Footballer Heeney is an almost AFL Star. Does he produce the odd match winning performance of a Star ? Of course he does. Does he play at a consistent level to which his ability would suggest he could ? No he does not. Good player nothing more which is ok too.

Not good enough for probably the next highest paid player on our list after Bud

Remove this Banner Ad

Back