North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
North not even the worst team in the comp.

So maybe the real question is does West Coast need a priority pick.

They don’t hand them out off 1 bad year. North have been very poor for 3 years with 8 wins over that time. West coast were playing finals 3 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So currently a 22% win rate to a 15% win rate if you aren't being disingenuous.

Go back a fourth season and it's a 21% win rate to a 24% win rate in North's favour.

Not almost twice as bad like you imply. Let's see how the season plays out.

I think it’s very unlikely that we win another game and it would be 1 max if we did. If we don’t win another game that percentage will drop down even more to record levels.

I think most would agree a 3 year stretch is the right amount of time to assess a team on if they deserve a priority pick or not. 4 years is getting a bit too far back and 2 years isn’t enough. The old system used 3 years to determine priority picks and I think most would agree that is about right.

If North don’t win another game for the year, it will be the worst 3 year period since the draft was introduced over 30 years ago. Whether people think a priority pick will make a difference or not is irrelevant. If North don’t qualify by winning a record low 8 games over 3 years, then it may as well be scrapped because no one will ever qualify to get one.

Their development looks shocking.

Thomas in the twos.
Stevenson signs a five year deal and goes backwards.
Simpkin inconsistent.
JHF appearing to have attitude problems.
Powell not getting games.
CCJ signs a four year deal and not
Even older recruit Greenwood regressing.

Giving them a priority pick will be a waste until they get their development coaching right. Who are they spending all their soft cap on?

It’s baffling. Questions need to be asked of the CEO.

Thomas in the twos.
Simpkin inconsistent.

Giving them a priority pick will be a waste until they get their development coaching right. Who are they spending all their soft cap on?

I don't necessarily disagree but Thomas got dropped for getting on the piss, Stevo was looking like a steal before breaking his hip at the start of the year, CCJ was brought over 12 months early as Goldstein, Xerri and CCJ just can't play in the same side.
12 months ago the development was looking ok.

I think it’s very unlikely that we win another game and it would be 1 max if we did. If we don’t win another game that percentage will drop down even more to record levels.

I think most would agree a 3 year stretch is the right amount of time to assess a team on if they deserve a priority pick or not. 4 years is getting a bit too far back and 2 years isn’t enough. The old system used 3 years to determine priority picks and I think most would agree that is about right.

If North don’t win another game for the year, it will be the worst 3 year period since the draft was introduced over 30 years ago. Whether people think a priority pick will make a difference or not is irrelevant. If North don’t qualify by winning a record low 8 games over 3 years, then it may as well be scrapped because no one will ever qualify to get one.

Swans 7.5 wins 92-94, Fitzroy 8 wins 94-96.

Carlton 10 wins 05-07
Brisbane 10.5 wins 90-92 (14.5 if you go to 93)

North currently 8.5 wins 2020-22, though 2020 was a 17 game season.

No one has been as bad this century, so fair point, and those Swans, Fitzroy and Brisbane teams are known as historically bad.

I don't necessarily disagree but Thomas got dropped for getting on the piss, Stevo was looking like a steal before breaking his hip at the start of the year, CCJ was brought over 12 months early as Goldstein, Xerri and CCJ just can't play in the same side.
12 months ago the development was looking ok.

I did mention earlier North did as well as possible last year, and only won 4 games and finished last.

This is what they look like with injuries and loss of form.

Carlton 10 wins 05-07

No one has been as bad this century, so fair point, and those Swans, Fitzroy and Brisbane teams are known as historically bad.
Good stats

I like the idea of the PP being codified.

I think it should at the start of Rd 2 and only for teams winning 10 games or less across 3 seasons.

Carlton 10 wins 05-07

We comfortably sit alongside Sydney and Fitzroy at the moment. That was a very long time ago and we have been the worst team since. There have been some really poor sides since the 90’s as well. Carlton and Melbourne were atrocious at times and it’s hard to think North arevworse than those sides.

I just wouldn’t understand (if we’re denied) how the worst side in decades would be denied a priority pick, if there is a priority pick system in place.

We comfortably sit alongside Sydney and Fitzroy at the moment. That was a very long time ago and we have been the worst team since. There have been some really poor sides since the 90’s as well. Carlton and Melbourne were atrocious at times and it’s hard to think North arevworse than those sides.

I just wouldn’t understand (if we’re denied) how the worst side in decades would be denied a priority pick, if there is a priority pick system in place.

Access to 2 mature age state league players is the going rate.
Enjoy …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Access to 2 mature age state league players is the going rate.
Enjoy …
Was.... with strong emphasis on was, for all of virtual five minutes.
They change on whim across the years.
I hope for consistency but I just do not expect it having watched how it chops and changes to suit a narrative at the time.

Was.... with strong emphasis on was, for all of virtual five minutes.
They change on whim across the years.
I hope for consistency but I just do not expect it having watched how it chops and changes to suit a narrative at the time.
Unfortunately if the rules are set in stone clubs that are close to ticking the boxes will tank to make it happen.
Afl assistance should never have been a thing in the first place.

Unfortunately if the rules are set in stone clubs that are close to ticking the boxes will tank to make it happen.
I've never been convinced of that but does not matter, the fact others do means perception it is so, is more than enough reason to remove it.
I am glad the 25% or less wins thing is gone but now it been replaced by mysterious AFL discretion of when they allow them to be which is basically, make it up as they go along to suit a narrative at the time. The whole thing is just a sorry mess.
It would have been better to just say there are no more priority picks at all unless it a new club starting from scratch.

Thomas in the twos.
Simpkin inconsistent.

Let me get this straight, you want the CEO to overhaul the recently hired development coaching panel first, then when they show signs of development, North will be eligible for a priority pick?

Are you sure all the blokes you mentioned aren’t just 24 and under and shouldering the load of responsibility that is generally reserved for 25-30 year olds?

Let me get this straight, you want the CEO to overhaul the recently hired development coaching panel first, then when they show signs of development, North will be eligible for a priority pick?

Are you sure all the blokes you mentioned aren’t just 24 and under and shouldering the load of responsibility that is generally reserved for 25-30 year olds?
No.
I want the CEO accountable.
What’s his five year plan for the club and what are the steps being taken to meet his objectives? Has the strategic plan had the sign off from the new prez and the board?

What are the KPIs set for the football department and what are they doing to set them up best for success? Are the best team in place and if not, why is their soft cap bursting at the seams? If not, what’s their plan to get the best possible team in place for sustained success?

What is their plan to restructure their virtually non existent list management and recruiting team?

All of this is much more important to get right first than begging for an end of first round pick that at this stage they will squander away or not develop properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back