North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh wah wah you've gotta protect them because they're a vic club. how about the sporting history of Tasmania and all the greats they've given to the game, plus all the millions spent propping up north and hawthorn.

heck them off, victoria has too many clubs. it's meant to be a national comp.

north out, tassie in. there, done.

Carlton 2018

2W 59%

Two state league players is the going rate for a team that already has plenty of young talent. More worried about the Eagles who may finish below them yet.

Carlton won 13 games over the two previous years, totalling 15 wins over a 3 year period (2016,17,18). Priority picks are not judged off just one year. As a Carlton supporter you should probably know that with how many you have had.

North are currently sitting at 8 wins over 2.5 years and I would be surprised if we added to the tally this year. That is just above half as many wins as Carlton had over a 3 year period, which netted you the state league players.

It might also be worth noting that when you had access to the state league players, there was no mid season draft or the ability to top up player lists right up until the start of the season. In 2018 there was the potential to acquire state league players with currency, but far less now under the current system.

Also Brisbane won 14 games over the 2014,15,16 seasons and they got an end of first round pick. North are currently at 8 wins with half a season to play out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Carlton won 13 games over the two previous years, totalling 15 wins over a 3 year period (2016,17,18). Priority picks are not determined off just one year. As a Carlton supporter you should probably know that.

North are currently sitting at 8 wins over 2.5 years and I would be surprised if we added to the tally this year. That is just above half as many wins as Carlton had over a 3 year period, which netted you the state league players.

So currently a 22% win rate to a 15% win rate if you aren't being disingenuous.

Go back a fourth season and it's a 21% win rate to a 24% win rate in North's favour.

Not almost twice as bad like you imply. Let's see how the season plays out.

A wager? I was merely correcting you.

They have no less talent than the Blues in 2018.
Hard to tell if they have a future Weiters/Cripps/McKay/Curnow on the list.

We were dreadful that year, even with Cripps as one of the best players in the comp. Cunnington has been a massive loss for North this year, lost Aaron Hall as well another good experienced player.

When they went scorched earth end of 2020, there was always potential for a season like this to happen. Difference between last year and this year is their older guys are another year past their best in most cases, they have had injuries, and younger ones still aren't ready.

They probably felt they did better than expected last year, and they still finished last.

Carlton won 13 games over the two previous years, totalling 15 wins over a 3 year period (2016,17,18). Priority picks are not judged off just one year. As a Carlton supporter you should probably know that with how many you have had.

It might also be worth noting that when you had access to the state league players, there was no mid season draft or the ability to top up player lists right up until the start of the season. In 2018 there was the potential to acquire state league players with currency, but far less now under the current system.

Also Brisbane won 14 games over the 2014,15,16 seasons and they got an end of first round pick. North are currently at 8 wins with half a season to play out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We were propped up in 2016/17 by the experienced guys still producing decent output in Kreuzer, Gibbs and Murphy. By 2018 Gibbs had been traded, and Murphy/Kreuzer injury riddled seasons and moving beyond their best (kind of like North with Goldie/Ziebell/Cunnington).

Also we got priority picks when you could get them, back in the 2000s. Like everyone else in the 2010s onwards, you can't get them.

Difference to 2018 Carlton to 2022 North was we had Cripps and an exciting young Charlie Curnow. Basically about it, heaps of people thought we were going nowhere then, even 6 months ago people thought we were going nowhere.

North might get an end of first round pick, possibly.

We were dreadful that year, even with Cripps as one of the best players in the comp. Cunnington has been a massive loss for North this year, lost Aaron Hall as well another good experienced player.

When they went scorched earth end of 2020, there was always potential for a season like this to happen. Difference between last year and this year is their older guys are another year past their best in most cases, they have had injuries, and younger ones still aren't ready.

They probably felt they did better than expected last year, and they still finished last.

They have Larkey and McKay. KPP'S are half way there.

Midfield talent of JHF, Thomas, Simpkin, Powell, Phillips, LDU, Stephenson
The Blues had Cripps, Dow, Kennedy, SPS, Settefield and Fisher. No Walsh yet.

Plenty of talent to work with.

I agree the problem is senior players. Not sure a fresh 18 year old solves that.

I agree the problem is senior players. Not sure a fresh 18 year old solves that.
I agree, the big gap with them now is no Cunnington, he'd enable them to at least be somewhat competitive in the midfield for periods.

They hoped Greenwood would help, but their midfield is so under-developed and he isn't good enough to make a difference on his own.

I agree, the big gap with them now is no Cunnington, he'd enable them to at least be somewhat competitive in the midfield for periods.

They hoped Greenwood would help, but their midfield is so under-developed and he isn't good enough to make a difference on his own.
Contested and clearance work is actually where we're holding up okay. It's falling over on transition either way. Cunnington was never an outside player so not sure he'd help much there. Of course he's a beast and easily our best player, but just that he'd only help us in areas of our game where we aren't currently getting flogged.

Contested and clearance work is actually where we're holding up okay. It's falling over on transition either way. Cunnington was never an outside player so not sure he'd help much there. Of course he's a beast and easily our best player, but just that he'd only help us in areas of our game where we aren't currently getting flogged.
Seems a classic case of lots of young guys used to being the best players in their junior sides, not used to doing defensive/off the ball stuff.

I still think Cunnington would give you periods of actual dominance in games to capitalise.

A wager? I was merely correcting you.

They have no less talent than the Blues in 2018.

Not really if we are to be realistic and honest. We had McKay, Weitering, Chuck Curnow in the books back then, North's spine, especially in the backline going fowards at this time is extremely bad.

Young player development at North is q major concern to be fair, so I could see that as an argument as to not give them one (Zurhaar very likely going back to WA and Tarryn Thomas and Jy Simpkin have regressed appallingly)

Definitely would like like see the AFL give North funds and assistance in that department (player development) if they won't get a PP (or even still then)

Less said about Noble the better. I believe he should finish up as coach this week.

I do agree with the consensus of a PP is not going to automatically turn North around, I just think there is several factors which gives them a strong argument to at least apply for one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you looking at Carlton in 2018, the team to be built is via the already mature Cripps on 59 games and Docherty 92. Then you hoping the youth you drafted develops which was built around Weitering, H McKay, C Curnow, Cuningham, Fisher, SPS, Dow, O'Brien, TDK and Jack Silvagni.
North in 2022 , the team to be built is already mature Luke Davies Uniacke on 50 games and Luke McDonald on 137. Then you hoping their youth develops around Sympkin, Larkey, Ben McKay, Zurhaar, Tarryn Thomas, Stephenson, Lachie Young, Curtis Taylor, Will Phillips, Tom Powell, Lazzaro, Xerri, Charlie Combden, Horne-Francis, Goater and Bailey Scott. What they don't have is a stand out key defender that was drafted like we did with Weitering but that down to their draft choices of more attracted to mid types than key position types. There plenty of midfield and forward talent to work with. It backline they left themselves a bit thin on with Corr and Bonar trying to play there this season with Ben McKay injured. Their pick 2 this draft probably should be aimed at a seriously elite key defender if any out there. Not having Cunnington and Jed Anderson on field much this season has left their young midfield with not much experience to guide them. When Bolton played Dow and SPS in middle a lot we also had Marc Murphy often missing. I think North more advanced in terms of youth there but less advanced in key defence. So with our early pick we drafted a mid at end of that season... Sam Walsh.. North need to address their area of lack this draft too for long term future.

We lost in last round that season by 104 points... very sobering ...

Last edited:
Seems a classic case of lots of young guys used to being the best players in their junior sides, not used to doing defensive/off the ball stuff.

I still think Cunnington would give you periods of actual dominance in games to capitalise.
He'd handball well to the outside runners of which Sympkin and others would be very good at executing.
Think the coach not have them playing to their strengths too.
It is just a tough slog when you have youth to develop but experience missing via injury to guide and direct on field.

should force them to trade their picks or young talent for mature agers until they have traded out the equivalent of 6,000 draft points

eg pick 1 and JHF

you could bring in a lot of mature talent and stop this pathetic stain club from destroying the integrity of the draw with free wins and % boost for those lucky enough to annihilate them teice

strong list, bettrr than us in 2018

since theyre poor dont mind giving them 2 mature agers and $100 cash

We were given access to two state league types of Shane McAdam and Nathan Krueger.
McAdam at Crows and part of Mitch trade. Krueger traded for a draft pick in the 40's from Cats.
Krueger now at Pies after Cats traded him with pick 51 for a pick in 40's from 2021 draft.

Dont forget the 2 guns they traded top picks for CCj & Polec

Realistically 1 more 18 year old kid will make no difference

give them extra 5 rookie spots and another $700k in the soft cap for 3-4 development coaches

Last edited:
They just look like they have got to a point where they have no choice but to go and offer substantial overs for players like Baker, Dale, McStay etc and keep their first rounders. Even though they aren’t the core guys they would want to be paying big bucks they will just have to have faith that they can recruit them.

Also it's blatantly obvious that North DOES NOT have enough quality young talent, I do not understand this line of thinking, quite frankly, they certainly are not performing on field like it.

WC clearly has less talent under 25 than the Roos, so perhaps a pre-emptive priority pick is in order for WC?

Don't need/want 2 basket cases, not good for the game!

:whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back