Rules Do we need a send off rule?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah you would lol.

No I wouldn’t. I’d feel more that the side that has been screwed during the week the incident happened should receive something the next time. However limit it to more than 2 weeks. Doesn’t take much to get 1-2 weeks but anything more is major

No, and not even close to being a sending off. There have been exactly two incidents in the last 15 years for which a player should have been sent off if there was a send off rule, Barry Hall and Andrew Gaff.

You know what happens if you bring in a send off rule? The very first game, the first kick inside 50 to a pack of 6 players, all 6 players go down claiming to have been king hit by an opponent trying to get someone sent off. The first quarter would run an hour with constant mass staging at every single contest, and the rule would be removed mid match it'd be such a joke.
I’m amazed at how much some people tolerate in the name of sport.
And exaggerate In order to justify their tolerance.

Stewart‘s hit on Prestia is exactly why the AFL needs a send off rule. Doesn’t have to be immediate, could be by a central real time review whilst play continues, and once they are satisfied then the call is made.

No, the last time this was brought up was for this

Which is just plain stupidity. He's in a marking contest.

Absurd as Andrews is coming back with the flight, which the AFL is trying to legislate out of the game because of how personally dangerous it is.

It was pretty rough on the Tiges. What a great game though. Red card obviously should be in place for certain types of incidents. I'd like to be clear on:
1. What type of incidents? Where is the line drawn? The AFL manipulation of rules and intetpretation needs to be removed by a properly written rule.
2. Enforcing the rule. The AFL needs to NOT interfere with an independent ruling body.

I don't like my chances in either case.

Cotchin should’ve been sent off for that hit on Shiels.

Martin also for many of his “fend offs” to the throat and face.

They weren’t suspended for anything so what’s your point? Not severe enough to be sent off.

It happened in the 2020 grand final but Richmond won so it's just a clear case of salt.

Or maybe cause play stopped you moron and thus teams have time to regroup. It was 18v17 for 3-5 mins and they score 1-2 goals which was the difference in the game. This is the most robbed game I’ve seen in a long time. Didn’t you guys also steal one from the lions a couple of years ago with the non holding the ball in Blicavs in the goal square. Protected species.

If a send off rule is not a bad idea.

I wouldn't be opposed to a sin-bin style arrangement, and whilst the player is in the sin-bin the arc is able to review whether the act is worthy of a full game send off?

The problem with the idea of a send off rule is excitable umpires wrongly giving out red cards. I totally get the logic behind Richmond supporters wanting Stewart sent off. But ultimately as frustrating as the outcome for the Tiges was, this wasn’t a Barry Hall/Andrew Gaff act of savagery that would/should warrant a severe in-game penalty.

It doesn't occur often enough to warrant handing the umpires more power to abuse/* up.

It will just become another cause for controversy. Players will be sent off when they shouldn't have been, others will be allowed to play on when they shouldn't have been.

Yeah, a team will get disadvantaged here and there but it all evens out eventually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was pretty rough on the Tiges. What a great game though. Red card obviously should be in place for certain types of incidents. I'd like to be clear on:
1. What type of incidents? Where is the line drawn? The AFL manipulation of rules and intetpretation needs to be removed by a properly written rule.
2. Enforcing the rule. The AFL needs to NOT interfere with an independent ruling body.

I don't like my chances in either case.
Line-ball decisions are inevitable really, which is not ideal but probably be better than no mechanism at all.
Ideally, on field umpires would not be the final arbiters at AFL level. Use the video, etc, and if it can't be said with certainty within a few minutes its worth a send-off, its not worth a send-off. Something umpires miss because its so far off the ball might also be picked up that way.

IMO, that was bad, but not a send-off. Send-off would need to be for only the most egregious acts. It was a late, high, hard hit. There are a fair few of those late hits across a season, if not quite that late. This one just had worse consequences.

Personally I am 100% in support of a red card and have always said it should be in place for deliberate violent acts.

It might be an extreme example but I can't think of any other sport in the world where you could hypothetically knock out a key opponent in the grand final (a pre-meditated late bump or even a punch) and take them out of the game without any immediate on-field punishment or consequence. It's insane that such a scenario could happen which would give a team a massive advantage like that. Especially with the concussion tests now taking place and extra caution in allowing players to return to the game after contact to the head.

With video technology available and the ability to review decisions in real time, there is no reason for another Hall/Staker, Vickery/Cox or Gaff/Brayshaw incident to be able to happen without an immediate punishment to remove the offending player from the match.

Last edited:
No, and not even close to being a sending off. There have been exactly two incidents in the last 15 years for which a player should have been sent off if there was a send off rule, Barry Hall and Andrew Gaff.

You know what happens if you bring in a send off rule? The very first game, the first kick inside 50 to a pack of 6 players, all 6 players go down claiming to have been king hit by an opponent trying to get someone sent off. The first quarter would run an hour with constant mass staging at every single contest, and the rule would be removed mid match it'd be such a joke.

Weird take

I think today's incident is the perfect example of why we need a send off rule in the AFL.

Taking nothing away from Geelong — they played well today — but I do find it really hard to stomach when one of their players intentionally takes out one of ours (arguably our most important) and then goes on to be best on ground.

I believe that any high bump or strike that is clearly intentional (not contesting the ball) and results in an opposition player being taken out of the game with concussion should result in the offender being sent off and their team having to play out the game with 21 players.

A few incidents come to mind that should have resulted in send offs:
  • Dangerfield's hit on Jake Kelly last year
  • Andrew Gaff's hit on Andy Brayshaw in 2018
  • Steven May's hit on Stefan Martin in 2016
  • Tyrone Vickery's hit on Dean Cox in 2014

I'm sure there are a few others too.

No.

They weren’t suspended for anything so what’s your point? Not severe enough to be sent off.
Intent was there so where are you gonna draw the line..?

Stewart is yet to be suspended too.

Not being suspended days later is irrelevant to the send-off at the time during the game. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Intent was there so where are you gonna draw the line..?

Stewart is yet to be suspended too.

Not being suspended days later is irrelevant to the send-off at the time during the game. 🤷🏻‍♂️
AFL don’t care about intent just outcome, plus they’re huge suckers for a big public outcry from whiny fans. So Stewart will cope a few weeks.

Cotchin is just lucky there’s not enough GWS fans to kick up this kind of fuss.

nice melt :tearsofjoy:
lol you tigers are too much. Perhaps you should’ve just won the game to avoid all this ongoing grief & emotional trauma. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mad Salt GIF by Brimstone (The Grindhouse Radio, Hound Comics)

Cotchin should’ve been sent off for that hit on Shiels.

Martin also for many of his “fend offs” to the throat and face.
Cotchin and Shiel went for the ball at the EXACT same time. No comparison to Stewart's OFF THE BALL hit on Prestia. And speaking of hands near opponents face, at least Martin is trying to push off to maintain possession of the footy. Selwood, on the other hand, tends to have his hands and fingers right on and in opponents eyes at the bottom of a pack.

Cotchin and Shiel went for the ball at the EXACT same time. No comparison to Stewart's OFF THE BALL hit on Prestia. And speaking of hands near opponents face, at least Martin is trying to push off to maintain possession of the footy. Selwood, on the other hand, tends to have his hands and fingers right on and in opponents eyes at the bottom of a pack.
🤣🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back