🤣🤣

7F4112EA-A8B5-4830-B3F6-DA9643F249FD.gif

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
To all the irrational and over emotional knobends in football land, this was not the same as the unnecessarily violent Andrew Gaff strike on Andrew Brayshaw, nor was it similar to the Barry Hall shocker in 2008 with a horrific punch to the face of Brent Staker. Stewart made a mistake, he wrongly chose to bump and his execution of that bump was poor, the bump is almost gone in football. He will be penalised for something that has been in the game for 150 years, it was unintentional, but no doubt clumsy. He will be suspended, no one is arguing that, but the hysteria of it all is beyond the joke.
People are now programmed not to accept the bump anymore unless the other bloke gets up and continues on playing, how you adjudicate that in a body contact sport is a mystery that David King cannot solve? Stewart made an error of judgement in a split sceond that will see him out for the next month.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Or maybe cause play stopped you moron and thus teams have time to regroup. It was 18v17 for 3-5 mins and they score 1-2 goals which was the difference in the game. This is the most robbed game I’ve seen in a long time. Didn’t you guys also steal one from the lions a couple of years ago with the non holding the ball in Blicavs in the goal square. Protected species.

Sorry Champ, I don't remember a bulldogs game ever involving the lions and Blicavs.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It was pretty rough on the Tiges. What a great game though. Red card obviously should be in place for certain types of incidents. I'd like to be clear on:
1. What type of incidents? Where is the line drawn? The AFL manipulation of rules and intetpretation needs to be removed by a properly written rule.
2. Enforcing the rule. The AFL needs to NOT interfere with an independent ruling body.

I don't like my chances in either case.

Just make it a non contact sport.

Problem Solved!

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
A send-off rule in the AFL is unnecessary and would likely be a disaster.

The game is extraordinarily difficult to umpire already, so I'd hate to give the men and women in hi-vis green yet ANOTHER thing to adjudicate on and one with even greater consequences.

Thuggery and "taking out players" really doesn't happen very much these days. We'd be talking 1-2 times a season a legitimately dirty act occurs and does damage. But I think we ALL know the AFL would screw up way more games and decisions than they'd improve if they went down this path.

Stewart will get his right whack, and yes - it quite probably cost the Tigers the game.

The MRO is horrible already, it doesn't need greater power to impact on games. Punishing the outcome, not the act, for instance, is a pretty rubbish place to start. Being unwilling to rate things as intentional because gee, aww shucks, we're all just good footy blokes. There's huge scope to make what's in-place now better, more consistent and more in-line with the community's expectations. Don't give them something else to utensil up!

Vapor

All Australian
Aug 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Thuggery and "taking out players" really doesn't happen very much these days. We'd be talking 1-2 times a season a legitimately dirty act occurs and does damage.
Any particular reason why we can't have a red card for these types of events as they're so infrequent? Would be silly that it could potentially happen in a Grand Final without any immediate punishment.

Other contact sports like NFL, ice hockey, rugby league, rugby union and soccer/football have it for violent acts and I don't understand why the AFL doesn't.

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Any particular reason why we can't have a red card for these types of events as they're so infrequent? Would be silly that it could potentially happen in a Grand Final without any immediate punishment.

Other contact sports like NFL, ice hockey, rugby league, rugby union and soccer/football have it for violent acts and I don't understand why the AFL doesn't.

It makes sense, sure. But I think our umpires are REALLLLY struggling. Like... guessing... a lot. I'd wager it will create way more problems having them wave red cards around than it would solve. They would get it wrong. A lot. Mostly, even. There's simply too much going on in an AFL game, in 360 degrees, for them to get it right.

You'd think maybe a quick video review of incidents from head office might work - but then, they seem to be able to screw up even basics like whether a ball was touched. I think it's a problem of implementation.

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Line-ball decisions are inevitable really, which is not ideal but probably be better than no mechanism at all.
Ideally, on field umpires would not be the final arbiters at AFL level. Use the video, etc, and if it can't be said with certainty within a few minutes its worth a send-off, its not worth a send-off. Something umpires miss because its so far off the ball might also be picked up that way.

IMO, that was bad, but not a send-off. Send-off would need to be for only the most egregious acts. It was a late, high, hard hit. There are a fair few of those late hits across a season, if not quite that late. This one just had worse consequences.
I can't argue with any of that.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
I'm all for a send-off rule - or at least a sin-bin like Union have

Happy for a fourth umpire to review the incident and make a call, as I feel real-time send-offs could become quite problematic. Also, just for some context, the Gaff/Brayshaw incident was completely missed by every umpire on the field, most of the players and most of the spectators. So a live send-off wouldn't work in this case.

By all means, look at an incident and then make a call. A sin-bin type scenario would be a good middle-ground to the current situation. Not many other contact sports don't have some sort of card/sin-bin/send-off system and it makes us seem quite amateurish as a result

brett15

Flog Status Confirmed
Aug 8, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
lol you tigers are too much. Perhaps you should’ve just won the game to avoid all this ongoing grief & emotional trauma. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mad Salt GIF by Brimstone (The Grindhouse Radio, Hound Comics)

lol couldn't care about this fred, just surprised you've ventured out of the bay to melt on the mainboard ;)

Isn’t this whole thread just a huge pile of salt from tigers fans?

We’re hearing all this bs about a send off rule because one tigers player was bumped high instead of doing the high bumping for a change. Boohoo

woah easy there, I'm pisstaking a fellow bay13 resident

Danw0w

Cancelled
Footy Club Survivor 1: Adelaide Voter
Feb 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Should be a thing. And yes Vickery and Houli should have been sent off as well. West Coast and Carlton shouldn’t have been disadvantaged due to an act by the other team and same goes for us on Saturday. But sometimes it can be difficult to tell whether an incident is intentional/careless or a genuine footy incident.

The solution could be to have the arc review the footage and relay to the match referee (if we even have one). The referee then makes a decision based on the evidence and relays to the umpires if a send off is needed. This could all be done in the same time as a concussion test.

I'm all for a send-off rule - or at least a sin-bin like Union have

Happy for a fourth umpire to review the incident and make a call, as I feel real-time send-offs could become quite problematic. Also, just for some context, the Gaff/Brayshaw incident was completely missed by every umpire on the field, most of the players and most of the spectators. So a live send-off wouldn't work in this case.

By all means, look at an incident and then make a call. A sin-bin type scenario would be a good middle-ground to the current situation. Not many other contact sports don't have some sort of card/sin-bin/send-off system and it makes us seem quite amateurish as a result

It should be triggered by injury imo. Like VAR will do a quick check on goals in soccer if there's an injury to the head resulting in a player to be taken off they should automatically check it and decide from there.

Unfortunately with the amateur nature of the league you just know if it comes in they will take it too far like with the dissent rule. It might start OK but they'll evolve it to the point blokes wrestling will be sent off.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
Look at the goal review which was setup for the howler. If a send of rule followed a similar path we would be playing 14 a side towards the end of most games.

Strongly disagree RE: the goal review system. I feel it works pretty well most of the time. Sometimes a review is missed that probably should have been looked at, however, aside from slowing the game down, it does a pretty good job of ensuring the correct call is being made in the end

Opposed to both a send off and/or sin bin rule.

Imagine the howls of outrage from the Tigers if Lynch was sent off or binned for elbowing Jarman Impey and then getting off because he was tall (lol)

Aug 19, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens, Golden State
AFL needs to study the NHL and how they treat "major penalties".

Unlike a "minor penalty" where the offending player is put in the penalty box for two minutes (and returns if the opposition scores, no matter how much of the penalty is used), with a "major" the player is taken off for the full five minutes, leaving his team down a man for that full period of time. Player will generally also receive a "game misconduct" and is removed from the game for the rest of the game, but is able to be replaced (after the five minute major), while usually facing a tribunal suspension for further games also.

Given that the game is played with only 5 players plus the goalie on the ice, a "major" is a significant penalty - works well in general, with very few of these in the season.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I come at this from a slightly different perspective being from the UK and exposed to soccer (primarily) and other team sports where it’s been part of the game for decades, so I’d be fine with it in AFL. However, I understand if I’m in the minority and people want to maintain what makes footy a different sport.

The main issue for me is competitive impact. Richmond lose a player, in this case a fairly important one, but Geelong keep theirs on. This is then compounded by one of Geelong’s best players being unavailable to play against at least some of Richmond’s rivals for top 4/8 during the suspension (in this case likely Melbourne and Carlton). That seems unreasonable but I understand some people will just say suck it up.

Having said all of that, there are worse things in the comp from a competitive balance perspective so I’m not going to get too outraged about it.

Back