Autopsy Back on the winners list Swans by 53 against the Dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best first quarter since 2018.
Amazing amount of pressure and for four quarters.
Ladhams looked good until his injury.
Reid dominated when we needed a lift.
Amartey provided a physical presence up forward and kicked a couple of nice goals in the first.
Clarke still seems to handball randomly when under the pump at times. Played well though amd kicked a goal.
Cunningham looks lost.

Given the rain during the week the field held up well. A few players slipped but not too bad in the end.

Just watched the so called "report" on replay.

Typical Dogs cheat which they obviously get coached to do by Luke "che" Beuvera.

Papley was first to the ball. Dunkley collided shoulder first. Then as they obviously practise, Junkley (sic) jumps back like he's been shot and throws his head back like a ballet dancer.

Then once he gets the free he immediately jumps to his feet.

Cheat effort from a cheat team who are constantly throwing their head back to win frees and it's blatantly coached in to them as they all do it every week for the last 7 years.

Cannot believe the media have not called this out more.

It might sound a bit mean but given our dominance we coulda/shoulda won by more. Wasted a few. Basically blitzed them, which is what we need to do every game until our season ends.
88 tackles and the highest pressure rating of the season (over 200 in all 4 qtrs) tell the story of the game. Lots of Doggies desperation handballs and very ordinary I50s. Not many kept their heads up. We even broke even on the frees after QT!
Lots of postings about good things that players did and not much to disagree with.
A very good, even 4 qtr performance.
More of that please.

It might sound a bit mean but given our dominance we coulda/shoulda won by more. Wasted a few. Basically blitzed them, which is what we need to do every game until our season ends.
88 tackles and the highest pressure rating of the season (over 200 in all 4 qtrs) tell the story of the game. Lots of Doggies desperation handballs and very ordinary I50s. Not many kept their heads up. We even broke even on the frees after QT!
Lots of postings about good things that players did and not much to disagree with.
A very good, even 4 qtr performance.
More of that please.

Second quarter was a disappointment to me. Three quarter effort IMO. Almost let them back in like we did the Bombers.

I have a pretty good view from my seat. And what I noticed tonight was that Sam Reid's physicality was off the scale - a tremendous effort of tackling and putting pressure on the opposition.

Considering that Ladhams went down early, it was Brownlow vote worthy for mine.
The 6 million dollar question is what did he do in pre season that he didn’t do the last 10 years?

Disappointing effort tonight. Started well but second quarter was a disaster. Couldn’t peg them back in the premiership quarter either. Thought we would have put in a better show against the ladder leaders……the free kick count that is
I think you are being harsh.
For Sydney to lose the free kick count by only 6 frees is a massive effort. The dogs will be pretty upset with the ump performance …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, that was fun. Don't think it says too much about us. We know we can play some pretty attractive footy when allowed to. Bulldogs were utter tripe. Any game where you have less of the ball than your opponent but also less tackles means you just haven't shown up - we should know this as well as anyone.

But I loved our intent at least. Kinda hard to embrace it knowing we could put in yet another unrecognisable performance in the next week or so.

Things I liked:
  • Lloyd's attack on the man and ball being quite ferocious tonight.
  • Blakey having never met a corridor he can't run through.
  • The McCartin brothers becoming genuinely measly now.
  • Amartey coming out of the gates firing to secure his spot in the side.
  • Heeney getting into all the right spots to hit the scoreboard.
  • Mills' ridiculous tackling efforts (16!!)
  • Fox doing a number on that turd Weightman. He and Florent are a key part of our defensive group IMO.
  • Reid just impresses me so much. Very clever to use his size disadvantage in the ruck as a weapon to basically turn into an extra mid.
  • Clarke on Dale. One has to wonder what he could've done last week...
There were things I didn't like, but who gives a ****

Great team reply after the disappointment of last week.
Sam Reid immense - 3 votes
The contributions of Ryan Clarke and Joel Amartey both deserve acknowledgement.

I reckon Papley will get off, wasn't much in it.

It will be tougher next week, away to the Dockers.

Also as someone who hated the SCG, I stand corrected on our ability to play attacking footy on it.

We have had some attacking, high-scoring games there this season. We scored 107 against Geelong, 106 against Richmond, 105 against Essendon, 120 last night. Sure it'll be hard to go past the win over Melbourne at the G as far as our best wins this year go, but the SCG has been our most frequent location for putting up big scores. Sure as hell wasn't the G last week, or Adelaide Oval against Port, or Marvel vs Bulldogs or Carlton.

Second quarter was a disappointment to me. Three quarter effort IMO. Almost let them back in like we did the Bombers.

Na, we stopped their momentum in kicking quick goals and it was the quarter Ladhams went off injured which would've stuffed our structure for a little bit. We've had previous games where teams would've kicked like 5 goals within 10mins in that quarter but last night we didn't let them. That's a massive improvement imo.

Dr_Jekyll_and_Mr_Hyde_poster_edit2.jpg

Our very best football is arguably the best in the comp. And then next week (or even the next quarter) we look like stagnant plodders that concede a massive run of easy goals.

We just broke the dogs and umpires spirit with our pressure, tackling ability and slick handball. I haven't seen us handball like that in years!
Dogs barely had any time on the ball - we completely smothered them all night. Our intensity was the highest of any team all year - averaging 214. Bring that kind of heat and we'll beat anyone. Best thing about the pressure is that creates turnovers and space for our offensive game.

Na, we stopped their momentum in kicking quick goals and it was the quarter Ladhams went off injured which would've stuffed our structure for a little bit. We've had previous games where teams would've kicked like 5 goals within 10mins in that quarter but last night we didn't let them. That's a massive improvement imo.
Dogs amped up the pressure in the second quarter but we withheld it. At the ground seemed like Randwick end had the breeze.

So many positives its hard to choose what to highlight:
Reid has to be our 2nd ruckman moving forward. He looks like a new man. Having him in the ruck contests gets him into the game physically and the rest of his game seems to improve of the back of this. He is like an extra onballer at the moment, laying tackles left and right centre, centre bounce clearances. I've been very critical of him overr the years but I'm so pleased with the way he has been able to rejuvenate his career.
Our backline seems to be really gelling and the balance seems right. I havent felt like this for a few years but finally feel like we have backline that can hold up, its still nothing like our defence of grundy, richards, smith, malceski... but its all heading in the right direction. For me that was our big achilles heel coming into the season. All the great teams have good defences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back