Preview Sydney vs GWS - Who are the 5 most hated players in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now before we get into my "brief" but meaningful preview its time for a little quiz (or fun)

So who are the 5 current most hated players in the AFL? Well everyone I have a count down for you all.

5. TOBY GREENE

Bit of a low hanging fruit this one, yes he has done what each of us have wanted to do before and given an umpire a whack, but you have to remember these players are supposed to be role models for the next generation.

2908_toby_greene_tribunal

4. TOBY GREENE

Starting to get a bit more serious now, as mentioned in number 5 that AFL players set an example for the next generation, well Toby Greene actually wrote a letter to himself as a kid stating that players should be setting better examples for their younger fans.

WHAT A HYPOCRITE -

3. TOBY GREENE

He is a dirty grub on the field, doing whatever he can to get ahead of his opposition. Knees, Feet, Arms, Headbutts anything is not off limits for himself. During his career he has been charged by the AFL Tribunal on 22 different occasions, had 7 suspensions and had $30,000 worth of fines.

4FED1CBC00000578-0-image-a-63_1536472246504.jpg

2. Toby Greene

YET AGAIN the pattern continues, not only is he a dirty grub on the field but he is off the field, guilty of assault in 2014 (and lucky to escape with a fine) he has also had a reputation for his behaviour in school (And I know someone personally who was bullied by him quite heavily when she was younger).

7bbec8bf1a3309ab629ccf45f9125524dff24d2c

1. TOBY GREENE

To no one's surprise the MOST hated player in the AFL is none other than Toby Greene, but what puts him at number 1 ahead of all the above controversies? Well it is simply because he is the major player standing in our way this weekend, if we manage to stop Toby Greene, we stop the giants. The issue is it is a lot easier said than done, so I have come up with a few simple solutions.

- Tonya Harding the guy walking into the ground

- Team Defensive effort

Number one it will have to be a team defensive effort to stop him, I imagine Rampe will be his direct head to head match up in defence but we will need the McCartin's to cut across as much as possible and our smalls to assist in pressuring him.

- Stop the supply

The best method for stopping him and the Giants this weekend will be to simply win the midfield battle, if we can win the midfield battle, limit their supply and forced rushed kicks inside their forward 50, this will allow our zone set up to crush his spirits (Like how he tries to crush players rib cages). If we can do this we will win the game.

Recent Encounters
Round 1 2022 - Sydney by 20 points at ANZ Stadium
Elimination Final 2020 - GWS by 1 point in Tasmania
Round 18 - 2021 - Sydney by 26 at Metricon

Form Guide
1658751050788.png
Sydney come in with the stronger form out of the two teams, BUT derby matches have always thrown up upsets and we have tended to drink our own bath water at times this season so I am expecting GWS to come out firing in this one, they are better on paper than what their recent results show.

The Left Field Key Match Up

Callum Mills vs Tom Green (The better of the Green'e's in my opinion)

Tom Green is very quickly becoming one of the up and coming stars of the competition, and in and under beast who can also damage on the outside he is a bit of a hybrid between Mills and Oliver. If we can limit his influence this weekend it will go along way to winning. Because of this I like Mills in a direct head to head matchup as he will be able to hurt him going the other way.

The Ryan Clarke Blanket

Congratulations Lachie Whitfield, I expect you will blanketed on Saturday and kept warm by the delightful Ryan Clarke.

Final Say and Prediction

I expect GWS to come out firing this weekend (Similar to their match with Carlton last week), the key question will be if they can keep it up for 4 quarters. If Sydney can weather the storm at first and go into quarter time either level or with a lead I will personally be feeling pretty confident.

Not expecting a big match from Franklin this weekend, but put down Papley for a 4 goal haul as Sydney roll out 30 point winners.

This is the final match of 2022 that GWS has any incentive to perform in.

They’re a grossly underperforming side, but laden with talent & capable of clicking on any given day.

To me, this is the most unnerving game of our run home.

The key is going to be centre bounces and stoppage clearances. It ain’t our strength & if we get belted in that department …. bad things will happen.

Mills, Parker and Rowy need to be immense this week.

PS: top notch preview Bonz

This is the final match of 2022 that GWS has any incentive to perform in.

They’re a grossly underperforming side, but laden with talent & capable of clicking on any given day.

To me, this is the most unnerving game of our run home.

The key is going to be centre bounces and stoppage clearances. It ain’t our strength & if we get belted in that department …. bad things will happen.

Mills, Parker and Rowy need to be immense this week.

PS: top notch preview Bonz

Wow looking at the midfield from our first game against them it's almost hard to compare.

Tom Green had the most clearances on the ground with 8 but he might not even play this week. So there's an unknown. Just behind him was Rowbottom with 7, but after that... Heeney & Florent, who have played almost exclusively forward and back in the second half of the season.

Parker was heavily forward in that game, where he kicked 5 goals, Mills if I recall correctly was still underdone, and Warner didn't even play.

So it's gonna be hard to even compare what our midfield did right in that game. We did a lot right, but so differently to how we'll have to do it this week!

Up in Sydney for this, hopefully not the final time I do the Melb-Syd flight this season.

Clarke to Whitfield
Not convinced Tom Green comes back in. He was dropped on form, and he didn't play reserves. So would make zero sense to bring him in. Weird he was dropped anyway.

Think we s**t this in. Time for us to do what they did to us in 2016/17.
Swans by 7 goals.

I am typing this very quietly, but I actually liked his appearance on the couch tonight, he seemed like a pretty good bloke.

I shall see myself out.

I am typing this very quietly, but I actually liked his appearance on the couch tonight, he seemed like a pretty good bloke.

I shall see myself out.

The tried & true approach to being likeable in the AFL...

1. Be a dickhead over and over so the media can't stop talking about you.

2. Said media gives you articles and TV specials to prove you're not a dickhead.

This sport just rewards big-headed, pig-headed behaviour. The only time the good guys get their dues is when they retire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I shall see myself out.
Me too... Shhhh... don't tell anyone

More nervous about this one than any of our recent games.

On form we should piss this in. But these soulless pricks often get up against us and after a very ordinary season wouldn’t they just love to claim our scalp as some sort of consolation.

Win this and we really set up some momentum heading into September. I reckon we’ve got what it takes to give Collingwood a reality check, and North, Saints… meh.

Now before we get into my "brief" but meaningful preview its time for a little quiz (or fun)

So who are the 5 current most hated players in the AFL? Well everyone I have a count down for you all.

5. TOBY GREENE

Bit of a low hanging fruit this one, yes he has done what each of us have wanted to do before and given an umpire a whack, but you have to remember these players are supposed to be role models for the next generation.

2908_toby_greene_tribunal

4. TOBY GREENE

Starting to get a bit more serious now, as mentioned in number 5 that AFL players set an example for the next generation, well Toby Greene actually wrote a letter to himself as a kid stating that players should be setting better examples for their younger fans.

WHAT A HYPOCRITE -

3. TOBY GREENE

He is a dirty grub on the field, doing whatever he can to get ahead of his opposition. Knees, Feet, Arms, Headbutts anything is not off limits for himself. During his career he has been charged by the AFL Tribunal on 22 different occasions, had 7 suspensions and had $30,000 worth of fines.

4FED1CBC00000578-0-image-a-63_1536472246504.jpg

2. Toby Greene

YET AGAIN the pattern continues, not only is he a dirty grub on the field but he is off the field, guilty of assault in 2014 (and lucky to escape with a fine) he has also had a reputation for his behaviour in school (And I know someone personally who was bullied by him quite heavily when she was younger).

7bbec8bf1a3309ab629ccf45f9125524dff24d2c

1. TOBY GREENE

To no one's surprise the MOST hated player in the AFL is none other than Toby Greene, but what puts him at number 1 ahead of all the above controversies? Well it is simply because he is the major player standing in our way this weekend, if we manage to stop Toby Greene, we stop the giants. The issue is it is a lot easier said than done, so I have come up with a few simple solutions.

- Tonya Harding the guy walking into the ground

- Team Defensive effort

Number one it will have to be a team defensive effort to stop him, I imagine Rampe will be his direct head to head match up in defence but we will need the McCartin's to cut across as much as possible and our smalls to assist in pressuring him.

- Stop the supply

The best method for stopping him and the Giants this weekend will be to simply win the midfield battle, if we can win the midfield battle, limit their supply and forced rushed kicks inside their forward 50, this will allow our zone set up to crush his spirits (Like how he tries to crush players rib cages). If we can do this we will win the game.

Recent Encounters
Round 1 2022 - Sydney by 20 points at ANZ Stadium
Elimination Final 2020 - GWS by 1 point in Tasmania
Round 18 - 2021 - Sydney by 26 at Metricon

Form Guide
View attachment 1456624
Sydney come in with the stronger form out of the two teams, BUT derby matches have always thrown up upsets and we have tended to drink our own bath water at times this season so I am expecting GWS to come out firing in this one, they are better on paper than what their recent results show.

The Left Field Key Match Up

Callum Mills vs Tom Green (The better of the Green'e's in my opinion)

Tom Green is very quickly becoming one of the up and coming stars of the competition, and in and under beast who can also damage on the outside he is a bit of a hybrid between Mills and Oliver. If we can limit his influence this weekend it will go along way to winning. Because of this I like Mills in a direct head to head matchup as he will be able to hurt him going the other way.

The Ryan Clarke Blanket

Congratulations Lachie Whitfield, I expect you will blanketed on Saturday and kept warm by the delightful Ryan Clarke.

Final Say and Prediction

I expect GWS to come out firing this weekend (Similar to their match with Carlton last week), the key question will be if they can keep it up for 4 quarters. If Sydney can weather the storm at first and go into quarter time either level or with a lead I will personally be feeling pretty confident.

Not expecting a big match from Franklin this weekend, but put down Papley for a 4 goal haul as Sydney roll out 30 point winners.

Great preview, Bonz. However, I think I need to just correct you in that I think the letter was written only two years ago (judging by the handwriting).

The tried & true approach to being likeable in the AFL...

1. Be a dickhead over and over so the media can't stop talking about you.

2. Said media gives you articles and TV specials to prove you're not a dickhead.

This sport just rewards big-headed, pig-headed behaviour. The only time the good guys get their dues is when they retire.
I remember when De Goey got in trouble the 'first' time some years ago and there was a story quickly released to the media about how he volunteers with the Salvos to visit an elderly person - he is a real saint. It was real Damage Control 101.

Anyway, Swans to win by a Toby Greene (4 goals).

- The 'Buddy Franklin Cup'. Perhaps Gillon McL. might like to come up and present the trophy :D

Because Buddy was meant for GWS you see. The boys club at AFL House were apoplectic when we swooped.

- Then in two weeks time (14 Aug) we host Collingwood at the SCG, potentially one of the matches of the season. This will be the 'Academy/COLA Cup' ..Perhaps Eddie Vermilion might like to present this trophy.

If there are two H&A games I'd like to win more.. Get along you ticket holders

Toby Greene is probably my favourite player outside of the Swans (Except
For when he plays us).

Always like it when someone is a bit different to the norm. Better than half the robotic personalities in the game that’s for sure.

Noticed a few people saying Clarke to Whitfield. IDK, he'll be coming back from a few weeks off (assuming he plays), and Clarke would likely go to their prime half-back, which isn't Whitfield recently. Before missing a few, looking at heat maps, he was spending a fair amount of time on the wing or elsewhere. He wasn't anywhere near their main rebounder from D50, interceptor or in the higher metres gained (key half back stats). While Whitfield's been injured, and even before, Cumming looks like the standout that Clarke could go to (size-wise). Brown and Ash have played that rebound/distribution role a bit too from the looks of it. Maybe if Whitfield comes back in, they change it up and put him back to his past role, but maybe not.

If we're saying we want Clarke to tag on a wing or midfield against one of their stars, that's a different role than he's been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back