Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Port should wear the Bars all the time except AWAY games against Collingwood. Every team/club in every comp, all over the world, gets to chose their home stroip and wear it when they play at home. No ifs or buts. I understand we play in a bush league run by the incompetent and corrupt Victorian State government but these simple truths hold true everywhere else. But Victoria seems to play by different rules. Fairness, precedent and common sense take a back seat. The AFL are a weak and corrupt organisation beholden to Victorian State Government under the table deals to ensure their own interests are looked after. It's amazing how unsuccessful Collingwood are with all these beneficiaries. They really are rotten to the core.
To play devils advocate again... this league has quite a different structure to most sporting leagues, where clubs are much more independent.

Part of that is that all clubs have been required to sign their trade marks (names, logos) over to the central league body. The clubs themselves do not own or control them. The AFL does, and licences them to the clubs for use.

In doing this, there's a very valid argument that the league has a responsibility to protect those trade marks and ensure they're not infringed. Collingwood could argue that allowing another AFL club a similar identity is a failure of the AFL to protect its trade marks, which is one of the responsibilities the AFL undertook when it took ownership of them.

Are Collingwood fans purposely being ignorant, or does it come naturally?

1870 is in reference to the Port Adelaide Football Club. A club that has played in the SANFL from 1877-present, and played in the AFL from 1997-present. Magpies or Power is irrelevant. They would be using Magpies in the AFL if it weren't for the existence of Collingwood. A new moniker had to be adopted. But the club is the same.
You don’t get the argument, it is you who is being ignorant.

Last edited:

Newsflash.....we are the Magpies in the SANFL and have been for over 150 years.

We are the Power in the AFL. Port is not selling Power merchandise with a Magpie on it.

I understand it's convoluted but we have an SANFL team and an AFL team....one club fields two teams in different competitions.

Check the link, that jumper is advertised as having AFL certification and has the AFL logo printed on it. It also has all your flags printed on it, including the AFL one. It is very much intended as being merchandise for the Port Adelaide Football Club, not the Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL. I think those NTUS scarves were a bit of a pisstake as well, the club encouraged people to wear them and wave them around at AFL games, with a magpie logo on it, I get why that annoyed Collingwood.

Port have also stopped using the Magpies logo in the SANFL.

Like I said, I can see both sides. Port 100% should be able to celebrate their heritage and wear the prison bars once a year.

However, the reality is Port entered the league Collingwood was in, not the other way around. Black and white, the stripes (yes I know PBs are different but they’re still a variation of stripes), and the magpie was their identity, and they had a right to keep it. It’s pretty obvious that Port aren’t just trying to wear the heritage jumper once a year, they want to reclaim it as their identity, so I get why Collingwood would want to block it.

Port need to accept that they’re teal, black and white and the Power now. If they do that then I think there would be no issues with them wearing a heritage jumper once a year.

Have a look on page 4 please and come back to me.

Yes i see that. It's a vintage commemorative SANFL prison bar guernsey with a Magpie. In the SANFL we were the magpies for almost 150 years. It's just a fact that's our history in the SANFL.

We are not selling Port Power AFL team merchandise with a Magpie on it though.

Port did not block that lol, there was general outrage in the state from fans and former state representatives (including Ricciuto). The SANFL rescinded permission after it was clearly ridiculous to let them wear it in the first place. It was a classic Leigh Whicker out of touch kerfuffle.
Port certainly had an issue with it, but the argument was a club can wear whatever they want as long as it doesn’t clash, if that we’re true then no one should’ve prevented us wearing it.

For the record I think us not wearing was the right call. We shouldn’t have had our non-SA players running around in it.

Check the link, that jumper is advertised as having AFL certification and has the AFL logo printed on it. It also has all your flags printed on it, including the AFL one. It is very much intended as being merchandise for the Port Adelaide Football Club, not the Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL. I think those NTUS scarves were a bit of a pisstake as well, the club encouraged people to wear them and wave them around at AFL games, with a magpie logo on it, I get why that annoyed Collingwood.

Like I said, I can see both sides. Port 100% should be able to celebrate their heritage and wear the prison bars once a year.

However, the reality is Port entered the league Collingwood was in, not the other way around. Black and white, the stripes (yes I know PBs are different but they’re still a variation of stripes), and the magpie was their identity, and they had a right to keep it. It’s pretty obvious that Port aren’t just trying to wear the heritage jumper once a year, they want to reclaim it as their identity, so I get why Collingwood would want to block it.

Port need to accept that they’re teal, black and white and the Power now. If they do that then I think there would be no issues with them wearing a heritage jumper once a year.

How dare a club and its supporters recognise a rich heritage of 140 years and still going!

They're the same thing mate. A concept you're choosing to ignore. The moniker is irrelevant. They are Port Adelaide FC. Est 1870. Have played in the SANFL as the Magpies and now the SANFL as the Magpies, and the AFL as the Power. Not a difficult concept to grasp I would've have thought, unless you're purposely being obtuse.

Are the Pivotonians different to the Cats? Are the Bloods different to the Swans? Are the Same Olds different to the Bombers? Are the Fuschias different to the Demons? Are the Footscray Royals different to the Footscray Bulldogs to the Western Bulldogs? Get over the nicknames and name changes!

Last edited:

As crows supporter you obviously loathe port, which is completely acceptable. I loathe the crows.

What it means though is no matter what we do, you're going to pot port and go against them wherever possible such as on an issue like this.

Port certainly had an issue with it, but the argument was a club can wear whatever they want as long as it doesn’t clash, if that we’re true then no one should’ve prevented us wearing it.

For the record I think us not wearing was the right call. We shouldn’t have had our non-SA players running around in it.

There was a lot of outrage against the crows wearing the state jumper, much of it from non Port people too. It's a state jumper not a club jumper.

If the crows want to honor their heritage by wearing a different sanfl team jumper once per year say Sturt one year norwood the next and so on, I have absolutely no issue with that and would actually encourage it.

From your own forum:

Toast #bringbackthebars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

BBTB_Manifesto_DE2.pdf

What we want 1: We believe that the PAFC has the right to choose to wear a guernsey that is synonymous with its heritage and history in official AFL season games when it sees fit, in accordance with the rules set down by the AFL for team uniforms.

What we want 4: We do not recognise the need for a special case to be made for games against Collingwood at our own home ground.

So clearly it's not just about One heritage round or Two Showdown matches.
The Power want the PB for any AFL match including against Collingwood.

As crows supporter you obviously loathe port, which is completely acceptable. I loathe the crows.

What it means though is no matter what we do, you're going to pot port and go against them wherever possible such as on an issue like this.
Yeah I’m obviously biased against Port.

But I do believe you should be allowed to wear the prison bars as a heritage jumper.

I also believe that Collingwood have the right to claim black and white, and the Magpies as their identity in the AFL. They had it when Port chose to enter the league, and sport agreed to give it up.

If all Port wanted to do was wear the PBs once a year, I’d support it. But, that’s obviously not what you’re pushing for.

It's just our history of success which Collingwood is extremely bitter about hence the fight to prevent us from honouring our history. A record 4 champions of Australia titles....that's against all clubs including VFL clubs

Port Store | Official Online Store of the Port Adelaide Football Club - Shopping Cart
Search
Port Adelaide Football Club

Port Adelaide Fibre Of Footy Long Sleeve Prison Bar Jumper​

PlayCorp Pty Ltd

$250.00

Shipping: Calculated at Checkout

Size: RequiredS M L XL 2XL 3XL
Current Stock:
Quantity:
Decrease Quantity: Increase Quantity:

Add to Wish List
Description
Port Adelaide Fibre Of Footy Long Sleeve Prison Bar Jumper
The Vintage Football Jumper Company, in conjunction with Woolmark and the Port Adelaide Football Club, is proud to release a series of retrospective vintage jumpers 'The Heritage Collection'.
This edition is a stunning tribute to Port Adelaide Football Club’s 150-year history, steeped in tradition, success and heritage, the famous retrospective reproduction Port Adelaide woollen jumper worn as early as 1902 is an iconic piece of Port Adelaide Football Club folklore. The famous prison bar depiction is one of the most iconic, recognised and oldest football guernseys in Australia and made famous by club legends such as Ebert, Obst, Motley, Quinn, Williams, Cahill, Wanganeen and Hodges.
The Port Adelaide Football Club is the most successful league football club in Australia. It has won a record four Champions of Australia titles, a record 36 SANFL Premierships and an AFL Premiership. The merino wool in this Guernsey was grown by sheep grazing the Australian landscape, cared for by Australian farmers, and shorn and manufactured here in Australia.
The jumper features the traditional collar design, carries the synonymous Port Magpies woven badge, a commemorative inner back neckline canvas patch with all club premiership years and is a genuine collectible for all Port Adelaide diehards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just our history of success which Collingwood is extremely bitter about hence the fight to prevent us from honouring our history. A record 4 champions of Australia titles....that's against all clubs including VFL clubs

Port Store | Official Online Store of the Port Adelaide Football Club - Shopping Cart
Search

PlayCorp Pty Ltd

$250.00

Current Stock:
Quantity:

Add to Wish List
Description
The Vintage Football Jumper Company, in conjunction with Woolmark and the Port Adelaide Football Club, is proud to release a series of retrospective vintage jumpers 'The Heritage Collection'.
This edition is a stunning tribute to Port Adelaide Football Club’s 150-year history, steeped in tradition, success and heritage, the famous retrospective reproduction Port Adelaide woollen jumper worn as early as 1902 is an iconic piece of Port Adelaide Football Club folklore. The famous prison bar depiction is one of the most iconic, recognised and oldest football guernseys in Australia and made famous by club legends such as Ebert, Obst, Motley, Quinn, Williams, Cahill, Wanganeen and Hodges.
The Port Adelaide Football Club is the most successful league football club in Australia. It has won a record four Champions of Australia titles, a record 36 SANFL Premierships and an AFL Premiership. The merino wool in this Guernsey was grown by sheep grazing the Australian landscape, cared for by Australian farmers, and shorn and manufactured here in Australia.
The jumper features the traditional collar design, carries the synonymous Port Magpies woven badge, a commemorative inner back neckline canvas patch with all club premiership years and is a genuine collectible for all Port Adelaide diehards.
Yeah s**t like this is exactly why Collingwood loathe to give an inch :)

it really isnt - port want to wear it once in home showdowns.
No they don't.

Port BigFooty forum:

Toast #bringbackthebars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

BBTB_Manifesto_DE2.pdf

What we want 1: We believe that the PAFC has the right to choose to wear a guernsey that is synonymous with its heritage and history in official AFL season games when it sees fit, in accordance with the rules set down by the AFL for team uniforms.

What we want 4: We do not recognise the need for a special case to be made for games against Collingwood at our own home ground.

So clearly it's not just about One heritage round or Two Showdown matches.
The Power want the PB for any AFL match including against Collingwood.

This whole SANFL Port heritage narrative is a crock of sh!t.

The wharf pylon guernsey isn't even a heritage piece, it is the current Guernsey worn every weekend by Port Adelaide in the SANFL.

I repeat: The WHARF PYLON GUERNSEY IS WORN BY PORT ADELAIDE EVERY WEEKEND!

Hahaha told by Collingwood supporters that we should flush our heritage down the toilet. Meanwhile they get to keep all their VFL heritage in the AFL. Such arrogance and ignorance.

I'm sure sooner or later we'll get to wear our heritage guernsey for one round per season.
you are welcome to watch Port wear their "heritage" guernsey this Saturday at Unley oval. kick off is at 2:10pm

Search

PlayCorp Pty Ltd

$250.00

Current Stock:
Quantity:

Add to Wish List
Description
Just like I'm sure both Collingwood and Port are extermley bitter about the success of North Bulldogs in the King Island Football Association - they have won 48 premierships.

I'll give you a tip - Premiships in low-level competitions are not the equivalent of Premierships in the top competition. I don't see Hawthorn or Geelong trying to join the SANFL for the glory that a premiership from a suburban football league in a minor Australia city brings.

The only people that count those premierships are Port Adelaide. The rest of the country just laughs.

We are now twenty pages further into the prison bar debate in a thread that has nothing to do with it. Never change BigFooty.
All my fault for asking why Port didn't have a teal strip last week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back