NO TROLLS EDDIE BETTS, JOSH JENKINS & the Crow's Camp. A knife, a harness and the ‘power stance’: Eddie Betts reveals ‘cult-like’ training camp

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not self-evident that anyone at the club who had anything to do with this trainwreck should resign or be sacked. What brings it to that point is a failure to recognise and acknowledge the harms that have occurred, a failure to express genuine remorse and contrition, a failure to accept responsibility and accountability, to encourage truth-telling, and ultimately to commit to concrete measures that encourage healing, work to rebuild trust, and to prevent further incidents like this going forward. A real leadership figure could've been both implicated in the harm that was caused, and a key figure in rebuilding the club after it.

Ricciuto is not such a figure. His comments reveal a lack of empathy, interest, even comprehension of the harms disclosed by Betts and now Jenkins. He just wants to manage the optics and make it all go away. And that's why he should go.

Last edited:

Smells a bit like the bastardisation sessions that the armed forces used to conduct to ‘harden up the new recruits’. Is it any wonder we get these SAS style programs, dreamt up by absolute amateurs and sold off to afl clubs for healthy profit, whilst we conflate sport and war?
Said similar on the North Board. These blokes are footballers not grunts to be broken down and rebuilt, and even if they were the latter you're not achieving that in such a short amount of time.

Reading through the pages and all the calls for kicking out of the game of Riccuito, Pyke etc and the players such as Sloan and Taylor, and the sanctioning of the Club for bringing the AFL into disrepute (when most at the club played no part in this) then yes it does.

So we have it at "I don't care for the likes of Pyke, Ricciutto, Burton and even Walker or Sloane to be seen around AFL circles again. Absolute pissweak campaigners" yet Eddie (or Josh Jenkins) could have aired this so much earlier and could have done so on a Mike Sheahan Open Mike style forum for no remuneration, but he didn't.

If it was so damning then surely one of those so affected could have come out and provided a full disclosure of their experience without leaving it for a "book", which you get paid to market.

Another pathetic victim blaming post
Eddie has said how much the experience has traumatised him, and i'm sure he isn't the only one. It takes courage to speak out so publicly and share the shame and betrayal that was heaped upon him. Not many here would fully relate to the mental turmoil it has taken upon him.
It's up to Eddie to choose how and when and in what manner he spoke out about what happened, and that's what he has done.

Well the AFL elect our board, balls in their court.
It’s amazing they didn’t learn from their efforts to ‘manage’ the supplements saga.

On the other hand they quite happily made full and frank disclosure regarding Lethlean et al and marched them out in front of the press.

Odd bunch at AFLHQ.

Credit to the Crows and the AFL for trying to keep this under wraps when it shouldve been out years ago. Would've been better for Adelaide in the long run.

Imagine the other stuff AFL house have swept under the carpet over the years?

It’s amazing they didn’t learn from their efforts to ‘manage’ the supplements saga.

On the other hand they quite happily made full and frank disclosure regarding Lethlean et al and marched them out in front of the press.

Odd bunch at AFLHQ.
Protect the brand at all costs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive case of the Streisand Effect taking place here.

Adelaide’s attempts to spin and suppress the situation rather than having an open and honest mea culpa and make amends has simply protracted and magnified the issue and here we are nearly half a decade later…

Imagine being a supporter.

This is one of those times it sucks to be invested in your club. Feel like crap for something you've had no part in, and expected your club to be better.

We had this as Carlton supporters with the salary cap breaches. Horrible time to be a supporter. Club took the harsh punishment and sacked most of those involved but was still hard to see my club go through that.

Josh Jenkins has released a statement and it aint pretty.

.. I stated more than once I wanted none of my upbringing to be used or even spoken of during or after the camp. Something which was promised to me - but in my view, a promise that was broken.....

and it gets much worse

Wow, this is a bombshell. Note how JJ's complaints to the AFL were swept under the carpet, AFL is all about image, don't want this out in public.

No wonder the place fell apart after this disaster.

Another pathetic victim blaming post
Eddie has said how much the experience has traumatised him, and i'm sure he isn't the only one. It takes courage to speak out so publicly and share the shame and betrayal that was heaped upon him. Not many here would fully relate to the mental turmoil it has taken upon him.
It's up to Eddie to choose how and when and in what manner he spoke out about what happened, and that's what he has done.

Idiotic to completely misunderstand "victim blaming" to try and make yourself feel the bigger person by throwing out labels.

Victim blaming would be:
  • “Eddie you should have known know what was going to happen if you went on a Crows camp.”
  • “You must have sent mixed messages.”
  • “What were you wearing?”
  • “How hard did you try to stop it?”
To disagree with the medium he uses to publicise his trauma in its fullest (a book which is paid for) is not victim blaming.

Nicky Winnmar did this first, as opposed to writing a book down the track in the first instance.

1659691266777.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back