Analysis Are the Cats a Fraud

Remove this Banner Ad

I think fraud is the wrong term, but I don't think the sentiments are entirely wrong. We definitely have had a favourable draw, which we've taken full advantage of. Rather than making us frauds though, I think what it's doing is exaggerating the so called 'gap' between us and the rest of the top 8. Like others have said here, there are 5 or so teams that can win it and if there is any gap, it's very slim.

Of course they look grand they are playing nobody that's the whole point.

The last 2 decent sides they played were Melb in Geelong and the tigers which they should have lost.
Should have lost.

Should have played tougher teams.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Not sure why you rile yourself up with imaginary results and draws. If Melbourne are good enough our home and away results won't matter to them.

Smells a bit like making excuses already though - like you don't have much confidence the Demons will go far in September.

Funny the definition of fraud also comes through as
"a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities.
"mediums exposed as tricksters and frauds.
But all definitions require an act of deception/trickery by the party being accused of fraud. Explain to me what the GFC did that was fraudulent, not what the AFL did, not what clubs like the Demons, Carlton, North etc did in losing to Geelong, but what Geelong did that was fraudulent....

Well clearly FRAUD is the word putting a lot of people offside. Fair enough too as the cats are clearly right in it.

So are they over-rated?

I find the argument over their easier draw has some merit. The double-up games are definitely a leg-up. Their draw has been much easier than say Melbourne's. Yes the Cats are 2 games clear but a harder draw can make a big difference - have a loss and pressure builds, play tougher sides and players have to put more in. So i think it's reasonable to ask if the Cats had a harder draw would they still be clear on top? Maybe not. We'll never know.

What you can say is the Cats have improved this year, so it stands to reason they are a strong chance to win the flag. Cameron has played nearly every game and made a big difference. Stengle been a revelation. Atkins has improved massively. Brad Close big improver. De Koning perhaps biggest improver of the lot. Even though they rely on some (rather!) old players, the injection of youth has given them some added zest.

And their ladder position has meant they are keeping players cherry ripe by rotating them through.

The biggest change of all as alluded to by others is game-plan. I think Geelong play stop / go better than any other side. Can chip it around when not going well, but can flick the switch when on top. The latter has been the big change for them.

We've seen the cats enter the finals looking very good before and fail, so that is in the back of everyone's mind. At the same time this just feels different - more sustainable and more finals-proof.

Who could beat them? If Melbourne's midfield plays at its best that could be hard to stop. It would need to dominate though. Sydney have some momentum and are very even but might lack some star-power? The Lions have a decent recent record with close losses at the cattery and a big win at the gabba last year, but keeping it up for four quarters seems a challenge. So I think it is Geelong's to lose.

Finally you'd think Hawkins / Selwood / Dangerfield / Touhy would be leaving nothing out there as it looms as their best last chance for a flag.

Looking at Geelong of 2022 on the surface they appear sensational, however if you dig a little under the surface you will notice one of the most biased draws of all time for a side coming off a Preliminary Final.

• Sides they have doubled up against, Roos, Eagles, Saints, Dogs and Power all outside the 8.
  • Of the 7 games only against top 8 sides 3 have been in Geelong, 3 at he MCG and only 1 against the swans away which was a comfortable loss.
  • In the 15 games played since round 8 they have played 12 sides outside the 8 with games against Richmond and struggling Carlton at the G and Melbourne at Skilled.
  • 5 of their last 8 games at Skilled
  • Last 5 games against sides outside the 8.
Let's go back to when the fixture was released, shall we?

AFL 2022 fixture difficulty (Easiest to hardest)

1. Carlton

2. Adelaide Crows

3. West Coast Eagles

4. Gold Coast Suns

5. Hawthorn

6. Collingwood

7. North Melbourne

8. Richmond

9. Sydney Swans

10. Fremantle

11. Brisbane Lions

12. Geelong Cats

13. Port Adelaide

14. St Kilda

15. GWS Giants

16. Western Bulldogs

17. Essendon

18. Melbourne

Pros ... As per usual, plenty of primetime love in the early stages, and you’d suspect a couple of Friday nights at the Cattery later in the year too ... every other top four team and/or preliminary finalist has to come to GMHBA ... two games against the wooden spooners.

Cons ... Just two true home games in the first nine rounds.

Grade: B

Well clearly FRAUD is the word putting a lot of people offside. Fair enough too as the cats are clearly right in it.
Good summation twhowler

Yes, the FRAUD label in the thread title is what is putting me offside with the OP. The Cats have never tanked to secure high draft picks; they are not drug cheats; they have not breached salary cap and gained an unfair advantage; they only get to play 9 games on their home ground.

I really don't care that the OP believes Swans deserve to be outright clear favourites for the premiership, or that he believes Richmond is better than Geelong, or that Geelong gained an unfair advantage playing Melbourne at GMHBA.

Cats supporters know what has to be done after R23.

We are not frauds but we are terribly overrated.
We have beaten teams I personally didn't expect to defeat but then comes that worrisome issue of finals time.
We simply have a mental issue in September and it doesn't matter how well we are playing heading in. We always look a different unit at that time of the year.
It usually comes down to the most experienced who ultimately let us down the most.

Our last month is cause for concern. Playing teams who are looking forward to their off season holidays. Fremantle likewise.
Brisbane, Melbourne, Collingwood would have been fighting it out as if they were already playing finals. Those teams are going to be tough to crack for anyone who faces them in week one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should have lost.

Should have played tougher teams.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Not sure why you rile yourself up with imaginary results and draws. If Melbourne are good enough our home and away results won't matter to them.

Smells a bit like making excuses already though - like you don't have much confidence the Demons will go far in September.
Took out the tigers best midfielder with a cheap shot, yes they should have lost

I'm not surprised the Cats form is being questioned. Fair enough. All they can do is win though and they've done that nicely. Still, no issue with the questions around where they're at.

What I am surprised about though is the lack of Tiger supporters in here. Would have thought all my fellow feral Tigers would be lining to take pot shots at them.

Will be a fascinating finals series. On the surface the Cats look like the standout form team. I don't think it's as straightforward as that and will be fascinating to see how this plays out. And as we all know, all it takes is one injury at the wrong time to ruin a season.

Bring on the finals!

We are not frauds but we are terribly overrated.
We have beaten teams I personally didn't expect to defeat but then comes that worrisome issue of finals time.
We simply have a mental issue in September and it doesn't matter how well we are playing heading in. We always look a different unit at that time of the year.
It usually comes down to the most experienced who ultimately let us down the most.

Our last month is cause for concern. Playing teams who are looking forward to their off season holidays. Fremantle likewise.
Brisbane, Melbourne, Collingwood would have been fighting it out as if they were already playing finals. Those teams are going to be tough to crack for anyone who faces them in week one.
Here we go. We can always be guaranteed you will chime in with your "I'm not sure why Cats even bother as they will bomb out in finals" arguments, and fake arguments. With that logic WB, Tigers and Demons should not have won premierships in recent years because of their track records...

This is who we beat in the last month:

Gold Coast - yes, have to concede they were easy beats with nothing to play for. Plenty still "predicted" Cats would lose to them because that's what always happens!
St Kilda - this was the Saints' elimination final. They had everything to play for. Is it our fault they didn't turn up after half time?
Bulldogs - same as Saints, when we played them they were still in the hunt for a finals berth
Port Power - they were still playing for a finals berth
Carlton - were fighting for a top 4 position

Of course they look grand they are playing nobody that's the whole point.

The last 2 decent sides they played were Melb in Geelong and the tigers which they should have lost.
Wishful thinking.
Hoping.
Desperately.
Let's see how far that will take you.

Here we go. We can always be guaranteed you will chime in with your "I'm not sure why Cats even bother as they will bomb out in finals" arguments, and fake arguments. With that logic WB, Tigers and Demons should not have won premierships in recent years because of their track records...

This is who we beat in the last month:

Gold Coast - yes, have to concede they were easy beats with nothing to play for. Plenty still "predicted" Cats would lose to them because that's what always happens!
St Kilda - this was the Saints' elimination final. They had everything to play for. Is it our fault they didn't turn up after half time?
Bulldogs - same as Saints, when we played them they were still in the hunt for a finals berth
Port Power - they were still playing for a finals berth
Carlton - were fighting for a top 4 position

Sorry but you can try and cut it anyway you like. Fact is, we have had a luxurious finale to the season and that is not the best way you want to hit September.
The one week bye may be a blessing in disguise but if scores are close in the last quarter, at the MCG in front of 95,000 people against Collingwood, their last month or so will give them the mental advantage.

We have to hope we face Fremantle because they too have had a soft finish to their season and will not be completely battle-hardened heading into the first week.

as long as when we lose the preliminary final or grand final we lose by less than 4 goals I am content

Sorry but you can try and cut it anyway you like. Fact is, we have had a luxurious finale to the season and that is not the best way you want to hit September.
The one week bye may be a blessing in disguise but if scores are close in the last quarter, at the MCG in front of 95,000 people against Collingwood, their last month or so will give them the mental advantage.

We have to hope we face Fremantle because they too have had a soft finish to their season and will not be completely battle-hardened heading into the first week.
I'm well aware of the hurdles we face, but for you to say our last month was bog easy, that we played "nobody" is disingenuous. Only one team we have faced in the last month fell into the category of a club "looking forward to their off season holidays".

They are definitely good and a definite flag contender.

But agree they ain't miles ahead and the ladder is a touch misleading.

Still flag fave.
I doubt there any Geelong supporters who say Cats are "miles ahead".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back